Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #99,586 of 151,776
I have around 2 dozen or so Pangea's in lengths from 2 foot to 8 foot. They were the cheapest of all the cables with audiophile pretensions I looked at and have performed well for years. They appear to be built to last and are not permanently bent in figure 8's. Prices are up from when I bought mine years ago but they are still cheaper than the others I've seen. I also have a pair of their NLA 20 amp outlets, (going to take them with me when I move). I paid $19.95 for each and I swear the $100.00 to $300.00 ones I now see advertised for "Discriminating Audiophiles" appear to be exactly the same but different color plastics are used.
I want to say Ripper uses them as well. I may have used some before I started making my own.

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #99,587 of 151,776
What ones would your recommend the AC-14 or the AC-14SE?
I recommend 14 unless they are out of stock and on those occasions and then I order the SE's. I ran My PrimaLuna EVO 400 on the 14's and no complaints. I believe al their AC cables are shielded. I have no 400 + watt behemoth amps which may benefit from a higher gauge, but I have no experience.

Since the Romex in my walls is 14 gauge it made sense to me to stick with 14 gauge in my aftermarket AC's

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #99,589 of 151,776
I've never compared my 14's to my 14SE's. I run (ran) all my gear on both rigs out of those 20 amp receptacles (and they really put a death grip on anything plugged in to them) on 14SE into Furman Elite 15i's (bought them reconditioned by Furman through Audio Advisor at a nice discount) and then Pangea's to the equipment. I figure I've done all I can do to provide adequate power and protection and filtering. It's up to the individual equipment's power supplies after that.

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #99,590 of 151,776
This is a little off base, but here goes.
My HT is in THE worst shaped room (but it's what I got) and I did a big birthday revamp last year. Now it's time to fix some of the acoustic room issues and I'm looking for recommendations.

My ideal would be to find someone local (Chapel Hill / Triangle) who could consult on what is needed / help install acoustic "stuff".

If there are no local folks then who is there available for a phone / video consult?
I have / can have floor plans / pics / gear lists / REW profiles.

Any thoughts / inputs / recommends would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #99,591 of 151,776
My HT is in THE worst shaped room (but it's what I got) and I did a big birthday revamp last year. Now it's time to fix some of the acoustic room issues and I'm looking for recommendations.

My ideal would be to find someone local (Chapel Hill / Triangle) who could consult on what is needed / help install acoustic "stuff".

If there are no local folks then who is there available for a phone / video consult?

Cheers
Perhaps some room dampening?
7a81344429cc1f95bc6206d837a164c9.jpg

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #99,594 of 151,776
Mine is detachable.

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #99,597 of 151,776
I'm fortunate, my condo was built in 2003 so all up to code, and power is clean (as far as I can tell) and no brownouts and for a couple hours 2 or 3 times a year we lose power for any number of reasons.

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #99,598 of 151,776

Cheers
Have you tried contacting mfr’s of the moveable acoustic treatments (ASC tube traps, adfusorber, etc) for DIY tools, installation guidelines? Foam panel makers (sonex, etc.) as well, but they’re more likely to promote covering of entire walls

Iirc, ASC used to recommend half-rounds on the walls at first reflection point from each speaker to primary listening position

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #99,599 of 151,776
You're not a real Schiitizen until your travel rig includes at least an Yggy, a Loki Max, and a Mjolnir (or Folkvangr, I don't judge!), plus a minimum of 3 to 5 headphones. You know, for flavors, and such. Bonus points if it also includes a PowerPlant*.
They even sell handy little cases for that:

1663072542592.png

* Why a PowerPlant? BECAUSE JASON KEEPS REFUSING TO DESIGN AND SELL A LINE OF REGENERATORS!!! Ugh…
Nope, won't fit in my backpack. Much less on the back of my Harley...

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #99,600 of 151,776
I recommend 14 unless they are out of stock and on those occasions and then I order the SE's. I ran My PrimaLuna EVO 400 on the 14's and no complaints. I believe al their AC cables are shielded. I have no 400 + watt behemoth amps which may benefit from a higher gauge, but I have no experience.

Since the Romex in my walls is 14 gauge it made sense to me to stick with 14 gauge in my aftermarket AC's
I got very confused during my one small venture into considering an aftermarket power cable, they market both of those 14s as for source components. So now I gotta worry I should have gotten the big honking 9 for my headphone amp (obviously not but the marketing was not great on that front) ? My snake oil meter started going off. I mean, the lines in my walls are not audiophile power lines, what good is having the last 3 feet being nicer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back