Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #99,556 of 149,685
I will get back to you, right now I am working with a blank canvas. I will use a Gungnir and Freya +, and keep a Bifrost 2 for my smaller rig. Martin Logan powered speakers in that rig as well.

Behold! Your blank canvas awaits the palette that is your soul! Paint away, my friend!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #99,558 of 149,685
Yeah I def would start with power cables as they would probably be the easiest to start with. Any recommendation on Wire and connectors? I would probably would not want to go insane on my first few cables but also if they aren't better then what I already have then what's the point.

RN my interconnects are Audioquest Mackenzie XLR and I have no issues with them. I bought them second hand I believe on ebay. For power cables I have the audioquest NRG-Y on all equipment (including my pc that is admitlay not the best for audio given how much i have going on hardware wise.
I am traveling now but once I get back home in a few days I can check into that for you. I tend to build power cables to specific lengths. CF6D3296-D6D5-43C6-8824-AB0FAC6AEE41.jpeg

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #99,560 of 149,685
I am traveling now but once I get back home in a few days I can check into that for you. I tend to build power cables to specific lengths.CF6D3296-D6D5-43C6-8824-AB0FAC6AEE41.jpeg
That reminds me - I was at the NY Audio Show and I happen to be in a room when someone was going to get a demo of some expensive power cords. The person lined up 5 cords (TOO MANY!) in increasing price and quality and proceeded to plug them in to the CD player one-by-one and ask the 3 people there "didn't that sound SOOO MUCH BETTER" after each one. And we all looked at each other totally nonplussed. Then they proceeded to explain that changing the cord on the CD makes the LEAST difference and how you should really use this for the amp. GAH!

I thought the FIRST change from the stock made a LITTLE difference and rest I couldn't tell. Terribly designed demo. I am sure they did not sell any expensive cords that morning...

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #99,561 of 149,685
Behold! Your blank canvas awaits the palette that is your soul! Paint away, my friend!

I know several items I want in the rack but I may have to adjust the shelves to accommodate some gear. It may just be amp, speakers, and CD’s for a few days when I return home.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #99,562 of 149,685
I just ordered a Audioquest NRG-X cable for my jot I will be keeping at work for 70$? Honestly I may just return it and make my own cable. This one could be the test cable lol. It’s a 1M cable so as long as the price of wire is under 50 and the connectors plus paracord is under 20 then I win lol.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #99,563 of 149,685
That reminds me - I was at the NY Audio Show and I happen to be in a room when someone was going to get a demo of some expensive power cords. The person lined up 5 cords (TOO MANY!) in increasing price and quality and proceeded to plug them in to the CD player one-by-one and ask the 3 people there "didn't that sound SOOO MUCH BETTER" after each one. And we all looked at each other totally nonplussed. Then they proceeded to explain that changing the cord on the CD makes the LEAST difference and how you should really use this for the amp. GAH!

I thought the FIRST change from the stock made a LITTLE difference and rest I couldn't tell. Terribly designed demo. I am sure they did not sell any expensive cords that morning...
I like power cords to match and I have so much gear running in my downstairs that I like to shield the cables. I believe in using quality products that hold up well.
It is pretty easy to get caught up in hype.😉

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #99,564 of 149,685
I just ordered a Audioquest NRG-X cable for my jot I will be keeping at work for 70$? Honestly I may just return it and make my own cable. This one could be the test cable lol. It’s a 1M cable so as long as the price of wire is under 50 and the connectors plus paracord is under 20 then I win lol.
I use a cotton based mesh for my cables. Rayon and silk are also good. Think natural materials when you can especially on headphone cables. Purple cables absolutely sounded the best on @bcowen’s cardboard amp even though he swears by green.🤪🤪

Attachments

• 9F012665-4419-433B-A6EC-09DC3675B0DA.jpeg
    9F012665-4419-433B-A6EC-09DC3675B0DA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #99,565 of 149,685
Connectors would be the most expensive part IMHO. I was used to dealing with 500 and 1,000 foot spools, anything under 25 feet was considered a sample from some venders. Markertek does sell some cable by the foot.

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #99,566 of 149,685
I will get back to you, right now I am working with a blank canvas. I will use a Gungnir and Freya +, and keep a Bifrost 2 for my smaller rig. Martin Logan powered speakers in that rig as well.

778E6B9A-495C-4FCF-BDD4-BBCB6D240A02.jpeg
Acoustically, the room is crying out for a rug (to tie it together).

Andrew

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #99,567 of 149,685
I can vouch for the NRG-Y3 on an Asgard 3 (now Lyr 3). The difference was huge.

Andrew

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #99,568 of 149,685
I like power cords to match and I have so much gear running in my downstairs that I like to shield the cables. I believe in using quality products that hold up well.
It is pretty easy to get caught up in hype.😉
Yeah...I am not a doubter per se and your cables are gorgeous. It was just such a poorly run demo! And I was really looking to be impressed! But, I guess I get to keep a few more dollars in my wallet for now...

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #99,569 of 149,685
Acoustically, the room is crying out for a rug (to tie it together).

Andrew
At this point in time I have to be ready to move some boxes of gear into that space using a two wheel cart then the rug will go back down. 🤪 I should be sorting through 25 boxes or so.

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #99,570 of 149,685
Yeah...I am not a doubter per se and your cables are gorgeous. It was just such a poorly run demo! And I was really looking to be impressed! But, I guess I get to keep a few more dollars in my wallet for now...
I am retired but I did run a company that made a lot of custom cables for professional applications so no doubt I am opinionated. 🤪 I have run a lot of blind tests and have a pretty good idea where to spend my own money but each to his or her own.

To me it is tough to be objective when you know an item sells for more money than another item. Expectation bias.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back