Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 21, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #98,208 of 150,791
Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.
O'Toole's commentary: Murphy was an optimist.

Pondoro's Observation: There will always be an upgrade.
Lynn*'s Non-exclusive Counter-observation: There will always be a downgrade.

<<</^

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
Grimes

)()())[

*Lynn is my last name. On the rare chance this become quoted a lot, for once, I want credit!
I always enjoyed Gehm's corollary: "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #98,210 of 150,791
I love my vinyl too. Less convenient than digital, sure, but i love the sound and experience. I could do without the cleaning process - but don’t tell that to my wife :)
A6E5D8AF-93BD-4A07-BC86-BD5AD20D4C5E.jpeg

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #98,211 of 150,791
I gave my big brother the opportunity to have my Magnius but he declined and said he would rarely use it, So I gave it to my son. It is a fine piece of equipment but does nothing for me visually and to be honest, I cannot hear any difference between SE and balanced. Yes, the cables are cool looking but I already had that with the SMSL THX amp and could not tell any difference with that so I tried the Magnius.

It is just a hobby. I put the SMSL THX amp back in this particular set up and it will stay there and be used until such time as I can buy my self the Lyr+. With that tennis ball tube in there. My son also has my Valhalla 2. I am fickle in a Shallow Hal way with the looks of my stuff and he is welcome to the Magnius and the Val2. If he turned the Magnius down I would have just snapped/bent it in half and been done with it as I often do with equipment that I no longer desire and cannot find a good home for. I have given some things to out of state relatives but they are not really even remotely interested in quality audio so I rarely bother to ask them.

I still have the Emotiva XDA-2 for use as an all in one or for the DAC out to the SMSL amp. I would like an XDA-3 with VU meters but continue to use the stand alone VU meters I recently got off Amazon. I know Schiit does not give a crap about VU Meters nor my idea of what looks good. Whoopeeeeee!! Not a problem, just an observation. :beyersmile::deadhorse:

So until such time as I can buy the Lyr+ I am a Schittless Schittizen, :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #98,212 of 150,791
Aug 22, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #98,213 of 150,791
Bandcamp is a good source of his music too. He has never wanted to be pigeonholed as just a guitar player, and made some records with minimal or no guitars.
Here is a fairly obscure project Bill Nelson was involved in.

B Side

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #98,215 of 150,791
+1 as well on a wet scrub/vacuum dry record cleaning machine for used records. Pretty much essential. Won't fix every LP, as with some the dirt that is causing the noise is embedded into the vinyl and/or there is groove damage from being played repeatedly with a misaligned or incorrectly weighted stylus. But IME many have become nearly noise free after a good cleaning. And if you want to go full-on audiophile, you can always add an ultrasonic cleaner later. 🤣

Thanks for your help @bcowen, @DACattack and other forum members who have offered great advice on cleaning vinyl.

I think that having just spent out on a Folkvangr, an ultrasonic vinyl cleaner is hard to justify... for now.:beyersmile:

I have just ordered a Project record cleaner- the VC S2-ALU, priced at £359 here in UK:
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/vc-s2-alu/

When it arrives, I will try cleaning my recently purchased copy of Deja Vu and see if that helps the 'crackling' before I go back to the record shop.

I will also buy a cheap extra head shell and cartridge for my Technics turntable, so that I can easily put a cheaper one in with an elliptical stylus when playing older, worn vinyl.
I currently use an Ortofon 2M Black, which has a 'Shibata' diamond stylus.

The tone arm on my 1200G has a detachable head shell.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #98,216 of 150,791
Thanks for your help @bcowen, @DACattack and other forum members who have offered great advice on cleaning vinyl.

I think that having just spent out on a Folkvangr, an ultrasonic vinyl cleaner is hard to justify... for now.:beyersmile:

I have just ordered a Project record cleaner- the VC S2-ALU, priced at £359 here in UK:
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/vc-s2-alu/

When it arrives, I will try cleaning my recently purchased copy of Deja Vu and see if that helps the 'crackling' before I go back to the record shop.

I will also buy a cheap extra head shell and cartridge for my Technics turntable, so that I can easily put a cheaper one in with an elliptical stylus when playing older, worn vinyl.
I currently use an Ortofon 2M Black, which has a 'Shibata' diamond stylus.

The tone arm on my 1200G has a detachable head shell.
Thank you. Records are just, plain, cool! CDs are neat too and I think I just enjoy having physical media not because it "sounds better" but because it can make me feel better. Not always, but more often than not.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #98,217 of 150,791
Thank you. Records are just, plain, cool! CDs are neat too and I think I just enjoy having physical media not because it "sounds better" but because it can me me feel better. Not always, but more often than not.

I like listening to all the songs in the original order. I realize that streaming could do this but putting the CD in the tray and letting the artist dictate seems better to me. I also realize that the artist did not always chose, but the artist was alive and could have objected. So the original album order for me. Even if I do not like an individual song.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #98,219 of 150,791
I like streaming. I like the convenience, and I prefer the sound. But I'm delighted that LPs and CDs still exist, because I always appreciate it when I have a chance to watch other people enjoy those media types. I don't know, I just get a kick out of other people's delight.

The one thing that I hate about streaming is that it first changed how people consume music, which then, in turn, changed how artists and labels publish their stuff. EVERYTHING is a single now. Some artists have completely stopped releasing albums, they just put out one song at a time whenever it's done. This annoys me to no end, because instead of seeing a single album cover in my library, I now have to wade through a dozen single covers. It's an absolute mess, and I hate it with the passion of a thousand burning fires.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #98,220 of 150,791

Users who are viewing this thread

Back