Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #97,816 of 149,297
RE: Stupid chip prices from the stream - try to get a ET200SP or ET200MP from Siemens, or S7-1500 CPUs - S7-1515F CPU 10 month lead time, ET200SP stretching out to over 1.5 year lead times. If Siemens is having issues, I am sure Apple is too. Makes it very difficult to deal with a "smart" factory (so happy my mechanical stuff isn't stupid lead times yet).

Surprised the resistors on the boards are having issues, but not surprised at the same time - ran into casting lead time issues for a bit but that was a cyberattack issue with the supplier, not material issues per se.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #97,817 of 149,297
Ha! You beat me to it... I fondly remember the ol' c-64 - Another amazing machine for the price. Among many innovations besides the specialty 6510 cpu; it had sprite graphics and a very good sound (SID) chip. And the 1541 disk drive used serial communications between it and the computer --- about 20 years before USB did this kind of thing a lot faster. Listening to some Talking Heads to get my 80's groove.

And y'all are warned now - when we reach pages 8080, 8086, 8087, and 8088 - I'm going to celebrate some of the most influential Intel chips that still echo even today. Not sine wave worthy because after 8088; it's a looong way to 68000, 80286, 80386, etc.
Just a couple things on the shelves in my office. Had to swap out the 8088 for a NEC V20 since I wanted the speed boost.

Attachments

• 225A1D49-9580-46F3-B888-08833F00D3B9.jpeg
    225A1D49-9580-46F3-B888-08833F00D3B9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #97,818 of 149,297
I found it funny that alcohol, or for that matter any other human recreational substance, could be demeaned because of the abuse of a few.

I concocted a story, in 5 minutes, that made alcohol a hero. It's the thing that saved the protagonist.
Funny thing is I also have a bear story.

A friend of mine, a serious rock climber with amazing strength, had recently fallen while bouldering and broken his right wrist. Instead of climbing he was hiking with his wife and dogs in the Sierra. A bear popped up (black bear cause that's thankfully all we have in Cali) on the trail and his dogs took off after the bear. Well the bear pins one of the dogs and it is obvious that it will kill it and my friend jumps on the bear and starts clubbing it with his cast! The bear did get claws into his inner thigh and he is lucky that he more or less rolled out of it (nice scars do exist) and the bear ran off. The dog was carried back to the car and recovered completely.

Now you are probably wondering if the dude is actually crazy or not. The answer is a strong affirmative!

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #97,819 of 149,297

A friend of mine, a serious rock climber with amazing strength, had recently fallen while bouldering and broken his right wrist. Instead of climbing he was hiking with his wife and dogs in the Sierra. A bear popped up (black bear cause that's thankfully all we have in Cali) on the trail and his dogs took off after the bear. Well the bear pins one of the dogs and it is obvious that it will kill it and my friend jumps on the bear and starts clubbing it with his cast! The bear did get claws into his inner thigh and he is lucky that he more or less rolled out of it (nice scars do exist) and the bear ran off. The dog was carried back to the car and recovered completely.

Now you are probably wondering if the dude is actually crazy or not. The answer is a strong affirmative!
I'm familiar with Florida man. I didn't realize there was California Man.

Great story.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #97,820 of 149,297
It brings back memories of suffering through assembly programming with Intel little-endian architecture.
I have dabbled with 6502 assembly (on Commodore 64) and 68000 assembly (on Commodore Amiga), both as a hobby. I briefly looked at x86 assembly too, but never found it appealing due to its backwardness as compared to the 68000.

The 6502 is still being manufactured as the 65C02 or WDC6502, and I believe the 68000 is also still available but under a more different name which I think is “ColdFire” or something alike.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #97,821 of 149,297
I'm glad you mentioned Waiting For Columbus. The 2022 remaster is available on Qobuz as well and I need to give it a listen. It's likely the best sounding live album in my collection.
I bought the CDs and ripped to 16/44.1 FLAC. The original album remaster sounds tremendous. The CD set also includes full concerts in Manchester, London and Washington, DC, most of which had not previously been released. :)

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #97,823 of 149,297
I don't think it's available via Audible, yet. If ya'll do read it, please do not post up any spoilers. I don't want to know how it ends until I've had a chance to read it. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #97,824 of 149,297
As for the Harman curve…

Every single freaking time that I apply someone's carefully created parametric EQ to get a certain headphone as close as possible to said "esteemed" curve, I end up with something that sounds so horrid that it makes me want to toss even my otherwise most enjoyable and beloved headphones out the window.
Seriously.

My point? …is that Jason's got a point. Either…
  • that Harman curve is merely a marketing schtick à la MQA, meaning a shockingly successful attempt at artificially creating a "unique sales proposal" for Harman that no one actually needs or asked for, but too many are still falling prey to,
  • or the good folks at Harman need to have their ears checked,
  • or my ears are too far off from what they want you to believe is the "average" that I'm screwed should that curve ever become some sort of real, actual benchmark for manufacturers.
Benchmarks can be very useful when they make sense. But audio is a field where they just don't. Hearing can't be averaged out and distilled to a common denominator. Everybody's hearing differs (not just in terms of differences in aural anatomy, but also ontologically, meaning how someone's brain ultimately evaluates and interprets the signals it receives from the ears). Everybody's taste differs. Everybody's room differs. Everybody's musical preferences differ. Attempting to find something that'll fit everything inevitably leads to something that will shine at nothing.

You can find an analogy to that in today's cars: Ever since everybody and their grandmas decided to use the Nordschleife as a benchmark, every last car on the market that prides itself to be even just a little bit "performance-y" drives and feels pretty much the same — with exceptions few and far between. And to make things worse, while those cars might indeed handle exceptionally well on the actual Nordschleife itself, they mostly suck at almost everything else. Naturally, since the Nordschleife, as fantastic of a race track as it of course very much is, doesn't actually benchmark anything but the Nordschleife itself.

Don't believe me? Then I invite you to name just one example where an industry, ANY industry (other than computing and health care), has discovered a supposedly reliable benchmark for their type of product, and it didn't lead to an utterly lifeless and boring result that the competition then started to gravitate towards, much to the detriment of exceptionality and consumers' choice.

It's somewhat understandable that audio companies and gear heads both keep trying to find that elusive and magical common denominator, or at the very least some form of unit that could quantify the subjective perception of audio somewhat objectively. Businesses feel a pressure to grow, and the easiest way to grow is to appeal to a wider, less niche-y and thus by definition more "average" audience. And gear heads crave for a practical and reliable way to equate and compare gear without having to spend a lifetime on trial and error. Trust me, I absolutely get that.

But at the same time, I very much have to stress: Be reeeeeally careful what you wish for. Personally, I do not need that kind of lowest common denominator blandness in my audio gear that such a benchmark will inevitably result in.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #97,825 of 149,297
Amir at ASR called and said that you are NOT welcome at his forum and that you should unsubscribe from his YouTube channel immediately. :D

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #97,826 of 149,297

4/10
Alcohol not involved, and obviously needed for a good bear story.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #97,827 of 149,297
Amir at ASR called and said that you are NOT welcome at his forum and that you should unsubscribe from his YouTube channel immediately. :D
He will be happy to know that this will not be a problem, as I already avoid his "magnum opus" any way I can. 😎

Fact: Amir is a very smart and capable guy.
Opinion: Just not smart and capable enough to see the big picture. His intent is laudable, but his solution is flawed.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #97,828 of 149,297
He caters to his base. :wink:

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #97,829 of 149,297
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #97,830 of 149,297
As for the Harman curve…

...Benchmarks can be very useful when they make sense. But audio is a field where they just don't. Hearing can't be averaged out and distilled to a common denominator. Everybody's hearing differs (not just in terms of differences in aural anatomy, but also ontologically, meaning how someone's brain ultimately evaluates and interprets the signals it receives from the ears). Everybody's taste differs. Everybody's room differs. Everybody's musical preferences differ. Attempting to find something that'll fit everything inevitably leads to something that will shine at nothing....

...But at the same time, I very much have to stress: Be reeeeeally careful what you wish for. Personally, I very much don't need that kind of lowest common denominator blandness in my audio gear that such a benchmark will inevitably result in.

Please post this in the Sound Science forum and notify me when you do! :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back