Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #97,801 of 150,790
Problem is, it's extra work for not extra profit. Otherwise, everyone would be doing it.
I'll bet there's a way to automate the process of manipulating digital files...

Yeah. I could find no record of any fatal bear attacks in NC with single or multiple fatalities. A great story. Had me going. :wink:

In my search, I did run across an incident about a serial killer's prosthetic hook arm being found dangling from a car door handle after a couple visited a local make-out spot. :astonished:
NO WAY! The exact same thing happened here...

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #97,802 of 150,790
I wish.

I have one KenRad VT-231 for my Lyr3. Ordered a pair of RCA 5692's and a pair of Sylvania GTB's for my Freya+ in April, those have not shipped yet. (The guy I ordered them from said he was running a couple of months behind, and he was right.)

Other than that, I have just a few newly manufactured tubes, JJs and Electro-Harmonix.

If Schiit does make something like the Freya Einvigi, it would suck me into the rabbit hole of being a tube roller.

But it's such a luxurious, well-appointed hole. Problem is that once you check in, you can never leave. 🤣

Cherry, not even close. 🤪 Do a little research on early stethoscopes when they were wooden tubes and get back with me.😉

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #97,805 of 150,790
Well for their size, on a desktop there is certainly height as well as a wall of sound. SPL of around 75DB at one meter with about 7 watts. Their tiny size can be misleading. I have done some mods that help the bass. IMHO a Loki can help as might a small subwoofer. I normally just change tubes myself to achieve a sound I like. As much as I hate to say it I am finding differences with hardwoods I use as well. 🤪
857A87D2-6A10-46FD-B614-5CC887DA32E9.jpeg

Tiger maple made to match OHM speakers.
Beautiful, natural tiger maple.

I'm sure you've seen flame (with a handheld propane torch) created tiger maple.

Once stained and finished, it's not bad.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #97,806 of 150,790
Beautiful, natural tiger maple.

I'm sure you've seen flame (with a handheld propane torch) created tiger maple.

Once stained and finished, it's not bad.
I have seen it, I rejected some maple for this project that could have used that treatment.😜

Here I matched OHM maple, if color is added like this the stripes really pop.

0AA1CF96-0A4D-42E5-B96F-3A89FBC40B8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #97,807 of 150,790
I find this discussion interesting. I'm of the opinion that some (most?) new music is mastered to sound good on bad equipment. It has to be intentional. I also find this to be true of remasters of older albums. (Exceptions are plentiful, Steven Wilson's remasters of Jethro Tull and Yes come to mind.)

Think about it, many listeners get their music from lossy music services (Spotify) that they play through whatever player is available (iPhone, Android phones), through lossy codecs (OGG, AAC, MP3) through lossy wireless protocols (Bluetooth) into pods/HPs that are, at best, designed to a price point.

It brings into question the topic of "what the artist intended". Which "artist" is being discussed? The band? Recording engineer? Producer? Or is it the marketing department that insists that their music sound louder and more compressed to make it stand out from the others?

I'm not an audiophile. I'm a music lover that finds geeking out over stereo gear to be a fun pastime.

Finding music that sounds good on my 'good system' is much harder than finding music that sounds good on my 'other system'.

It's a paradox that is constantly frustrating.
Amazon, as one of several streamers, offers only Flac lossless music. They've fairly recently offered HD when available at no extra cost (I payed an additional $6 a month for HD when first instituted).

A recently released favorite album of mine, Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus, was remastered and offered in HD (24 bit/96khz).

I have ~2,500 CD's I've collected over the past 40 years, ripped with care with good software to Flac.

Choosing between my library (Foobar) and Amazon Music Unlimited, I choose Amazon. Easier, sounds as good or better.

I resort to my library for the esoteric, and that's more than a few with my tastes.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #97,808 of 150,790
today is neither april 1st nor halloween season... :thinking:
Meant as a "humerus" rebuttal to this post:
today is neither april 1st nor halloween season... :thinking:
My "story" was in response to this post my JanMC in this very thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...lds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-6508

"I had a good friend that was unfortunately an alcoholic. We were camping in a national park and he was up late by himself sitting at the campfire and wandered off to take a leak. The rangers came down the road and saw him and wrote him up for public urination and exposure and anything else they could think of. We MADE him sign the damn ticket so that he wouldn't get hauled off to jail in the middle of the night but he insisted that he would die before ever paying that ticket. Just so happens that his liver quit a few months later to make it true. So be very careful about that public urination because you never know where it might find you in the end."

I found it funny that alcohol, or for that matter any other human recreational substance, could be demeaned because of the abuse of a few.

I concocted a story, in 5 minutes, that made alcohol a hero. It's the thing that saved the protagonist.

Don't like my little story, or the message I send. Fine.

Don't read it. I'm more than fine with your condemnation.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #97,809 of 150,790
Alcohol is always the protagonist in my stories. 😏

Aug 10, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #97,811 of 150,790
Amazon, as one of several streamers, offers only Flac lossless music. They've fairly recently offered HD when available at no extra cost (I payed an additional $6 a month for HD when first instituted).

A recently released favorite album of mine, Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus, was remastered and offered in HD (24 bit/96khz).

I have ~2,500 CD's I've collected over the past 40 years, ripped with care with good software to Flac.

Choosing between my library (Foobar) and Amazon Music Unlimited, I choose Amazon. Easier, sounds as good or better.

I resort to my library for the esoteric, and that's more than a few with my tastes.
I'm glad you mentioned Waiting For Columbus. The 2022 remaster is available on Qobuz as well and I need to give it a listen. It's likely the best sounding live album in my collection.

I've heard good things about Foobar but the Mac version isn't fully supported so I've never tried it.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #97,813 of 150,790
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #97,814 of 150,790

Users who are viewing this thread

Back