Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #97,231 of 151,086
And this is coming from a software engineer and UI/UX designer with two decades of experience under his belt.
If Schiit were ever to do such a thing, it should be some sort of standard interface. If my system is funny, it would be great to plug in a diagnostic cable to the back of the unit to see if the computer is sending what it says it is sending. The rest of the time, I want it to be a rock solid appliance that I don't have to think about unless I'm appreciating its audio quality.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #97,232 of 151,086
So, you thought that upgrading your power cable, USB cable, RCA cable and speaker/headphone cable completed your system? Think again - don't forget the SATA cable in your server! (From The Home Entertainment Show twitter feed.) Can't wait to see what Amir thinks about this one. :)

1659132935087.png
Very pretty.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #97,233 of 151,086
I do NOT understand the whole Roonatic thing. It should neither add to nor take from the listening experience. Roonacy...Sheer Roonacy.

When I listen to music I select the "station" or "genre" or "artist, album, etc." I want to listen to and hit "PLAY". Why would I want to pay to have some fArtificial Intelligence "organize" such a simple process is beyond me. I have a 300 disc Sony CD Changer. I hit either "Play" or "Random Play" and go about my bidness listening to my music. I neither need nor do I want some RomperRoon setup to do this. Or I put on a record even thought it means I MUST go through the laborious process of choosing an album and putting it on and when it is finished, flipping it over and when the second side is done, I then HAVE to struggle to remove the record and return it to its sleeve and album container.

Roon can NOT do that, I know, LOL!

It is when I hear some people (mostly at Audio Shows) claiming how "Roon adds to their listening experience" and "sounds sooooo much better than just hitting PLAY". I ain't gonna pay for the Emperor's New Clothes and I have no problem with those that do. I just think it is a waste of good money.

"RomperRoonReady"...LOL! It was use less to me but that does not mean it is to every one.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #97,234 of 151,086
I do NOT understand the whole Roonatic thing. It should neither add to nor take from the listening experience. Roonacy...Sheer Roonacy.

When I listen to music I select the "station" or "genre" or "artist, album, etc." I want to listen to and hit "PLAY". Why would I want to pay to have some fArtificial Intelligence "organize" such a simple process is beyond me. I have a 300 disc Sony CD Changer. I hit either "Play" or "Random Play" and go about my bidness listening to my music. I neither need nor do I want some RomperRoon setup to do this. Or I put on a record even thought it means I MUST go through the laborious process of choosing an album and putting it on and when it is finished, flipping it over and when the second side is done, I then HAVE to struggle to remove the record and return it to its sleeve and album container.

It is when I hear some people (mostly at Audio Shows) claiming how "Roon adds to their listening experience" and "sounds sooooo much better than just hitting PLAY". I ain't gonna pay for the Emperor's New Clothes and I have no problem with those that do. I just think it is a waste of good money.

"RomperRoonReady"...LOL! It was use less to me but that does not mean it is to every one.

I tried Roon and liked the interactive experience and it seemed to improve playback quality as well.

IMHO Roon combined with a good music service has great graphics and music discovery, but the cost of Roon and Qobuz or Tidal is beyond my budget 🤔.

The only reason I keep using Spotify is music discovery, a family plan, and the ability to have a music queue when family is over to take turns selecting music.

I tried:

* Apple Music (no PC desktop option)
* Tidal on its own (terrible interface and music discovery)
* Amazon (Worst music interface and discovery)
* Deezer (a worse Tidal)

Qobuz is not properly available in Canada (my wife would not want to use a VPN)

If Spotify could keep its promise and provide at least CD quality, I would be happy.

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #97,236 of 151,086
My plan is to replace my ancient Musical Fidelity A308CR with the Urd. Urd will connect to Yggy OG's USB input., so Unison to Unison. The AURALiC Aries streamer will connect via USB to Urd on one of those "digital hub" input ports. I guess I'll have to splurge on another one of those $$ Cardas Clear USB Buss cables. I am pretty sure that (if he reads this) @Baldr will laugh at my cable fetish, but I'm becoming a believer... even though bits are bits, yada yada... :electric_plug:

Honestly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the A308, especially in its role as a transport (digital coaxial to Yggy). It sounds great. But I have a master plan to re-cable my interconnects, and the Urd will free up enough rack space for me to go with shorter ICs overall.

I don't need an Urd. I just have a hankerin' for another piece of Schiit. :D
Some years back Paul McGowan of PS Audio told the story of his introduction to upgraded cables. Apparently some joker named Mike Moffatt was responsible for Paul's experience. :smiley_cat:

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #97,237 of 151,086

ORT, I respectively disagree. Roon has their own DSP and it really does sound better whether playing my ripped Cds or Qobuz. I'm not including their wonderful interface. Just saying. One man's beauty is another mans Roonatic.

Leo

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #97,239 of 151,086
I tried Roon and liked the interactive experience and it seemed to improve playback quality as well.

IMHO Roon combined with a good music service has great graphics and music discovery, but the cost of Roon and Qobuz or Tidal is beyond my budget 🤔.

The only reason I keep using Spotify is music discovery, a family plan, and the ability to have a music queue when family is over to take turns selecting music.

I tried:

* Apple Music (no PC desktop option)
* Tidal on its own (terrible interface and music discovery)
* Amazon (Worst music interface and discovery)
* Deezer (a worse Tidal)

Qobuz is not properly available in Canada (my wife would not want to use a VPN)

If Spotify could keep its promise and provide at least CD quality, I would be happy.
Your reasons for staying with Spotify and moving away from Roon are 100% valid. I still pay for Spotify because I just can’t convince my wife to get rid of it. She likes Roon but has several years worth of Spotify playlists that she just won’t give up.

We have also tried:

* Apple Music (way too many iTunes issues to list here that forever ruined my enthusiasm for Apple Music)
* Tidal (SQ pretty good but I prefer Qobuz. Integrates with Roon which is nice)
* Amazon (it sounds nice enough with my Node 2i which may be the only reliable way to get CD quality or better from Amazon but somewhat less than zero effort given to the listener experience. Terrible experience IMO)
* Qobuz (works well with Roon and great sound quality IMO. My favorite)

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #97,240 of 151,086
Anyone with either Gungnir or Folkvangr able to advise which power cable belongs to which here? Had them both unhooked and now I don't know which was which. Prepping the replacement Gungnir (story a couple weeks back in thread about Gungnir sample rate change issue) to go back sadly for a similar issue.

20220729_111412.jpg
What guage are they? 3x18, 3x16?

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #97,241 of 151,086
You are not giving @bcowen enough credit, the man is the inventor of the floating AC outlet strip, UL approval pending. :ksc75smile:
Russia-63.jpg
That didn't sell too well, but it spawned the invention of the audiophile outlet cleaner. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Electrical Outlet Cleaning.jpg

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #97,242 of 151,086
Hey! That's enough! :p
LOL! If it makes you feel any better, I started with EZ Writer and VisiCalc. And 64k (as in kilo) of system memory soldered to the motherboard. :slight_smile:

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #97,243 of 151,086
That didn't sell too well, but it spawned the invention of the audiophile outlet cleaner. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Electrical Outlet Cleaning.jpg
Man, that looks dangerous.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #97,244 of 151,086

Your reasons for staying with Spotify and moving away from Roon are 100% valid. I still pay for Spotify because I just can’t convince my wife to get rid of it. She likes Roon but has several years worth of Spotify playlists that she just won’t give up.

We have also tried:

* Apple Music (way too many iTunes issues to list here that forever ruined my enthusiasm for Apple Music)
* Tidal (SQ pretty good but I prefer Qobuz. Integrates with Roon which is nice)
* Amazon (it sounds nice enough with my Node 2i which may be the only reliable way to get CD quality or better from Amazon but somewhat less than zero effort given to the listener experience. Terrible experience IMO)
* Qobuz (works well with Roon and great sound quality IMO. My favorite)

I tried Roon and I agree that it sounded different. My feeling is that it should not sound different and in fact I thought that it did NOT sound as good as my FLACs. This was the only reason that I left Roon.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #97,245 of 151,086
Shouldn't matter, looks like both are 10 amp cables.
Oh I know it probably doesn't matter, but wanted to crowd source which one came with it. Even if they are completely interchangeable there's something about not sending the one that came with it back with it that bothers me.

My 2/64 board arrives Monday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back