Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #96,992 of 153,222
To bypass the DAC's filter. I really don't know why one would want to do that, but that's usually the reason. I suppose some folks like to build their own filters suited to their own taste, but given that Mike's filter is one of the key factors in buying a Schiit MB DAC, I am a bit confounded as to why folks would want to bypass that filter on a Schiit MB DAC. But then again, I'm easily confounded. :D
It's a dumb feature, but it's free. But yeah, not sure the point of it.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #96,993 of 153,222
For Bifrost 2 firmware upgrades:

1. Make sure the formatting is correct. Seriously. Wipe the drive and reformat to FAT32, 32kB cluster. Smaller drives work better. We'll be shipping 8GB for the official upgrade.
2. Make sure it's inserted all the way, and the correct way, before you turn on power.
3. Once it's finished its light dance, remove the card so you don't have to see it again.

It's extremely unlikely that Bifrost 2 has a bad SDCard slot, since it is used at the factory for all programming. All Bifrost 2s have been programmed with an SDCard before shipping. There's no other way to program them.

Well, then. It must be the cards. I'll go out and get a few 8GB cards and try again.

One question, though: What is "the correct way"? I've tried label-up and label-down. Neither worked. Raspberry Pi are label-down. Now I'm confused. :wink:

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #96,994 of 153,222
It's a dumb feature, but it's free. But yeah, not sure the point of it.
The point is that too many people wise-a$$ their way all around the internet about how any sort of filter is negatively influencing sound, and how dare @Baldr to push his filter on them. The only way to shut them up is to have them see what it's like without. Schiit loves to hold a mirror up to those kinds of things. This is one of those mirrors, nothing more.
Same for the 2/64 moniker; to have a bit of fun with those who focus too much on numbers because they don't (want to) know any better.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #96,995 of 153,222
macOS still has the option to format in FAT32.
This is the only time in my life I have considered switching to the Apple for a second or two. Nothing against, just confuses me as do new releases of Windows, but I at least I have a head start there.

Really, did the good folk$ at M$ take away a good, useful feature for no good reason? Figures.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #96,996 of 153,222
The point is that too many people wise-a$$ their way all around the internet about how any sort of filter is negatively influencing sound, and how dare @Baldr to push his filter on them. The only way to shut them up is to have them see what it's like without. Schiit loves to hold a mirror up to those kinds of things. This is one of those mirrors, nothing more.
Same for the 2/64 moniker; to have a bit of fun with those who focus too much on numbers because they don't (want to) know any better.
Nicely put @ArmchairPhilosopher.:relaxed:
I don't pretend to understand how Mike's 'time and frequency domain optimised digital filter' works on my Yggy.
All I know is that it is the best sounding DAC I've ever heard and I am just grateful to him for designing and producing such a fantastic product.

I have no plans to audition any other DAC, having tried almost a dozen before I bought my Yggy; it's an 'end game' product for me and I love it :beyersmile:

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #96,997 of 153,222
One question, though: What is "the correct way"? I've tried label-up and label-down. Neither worked. Raspberry Pi are label-down. Now I'm confused. :wink:
Usually it's with the contact pins facing "down"

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #96,998 of 153,222
Windows has an (arbitrary, actually) 32GB partition size limit on FAT32, so if you're trying to format something whose capacity is higher than that it doesn't want to show you the FAT32 option because you wouldn't be able to use the entire capacity of the drive. Smaller cards should still show the option, and you can always use a 3rd party tool instead of the Windows disk manager.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #96,999 of 153,222
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #97,000 of 153,222
Two albums that weirdly work exceptionally well for me through Gumby and Folkvangr:

Gunship - Gunship (Instrumental)
…and…
Gunship - Dark All Day (Instrumental)

If you want to try just one song, give Woken Furies on Dark All Day a shot. Clear, spacious, deep, wide … all the things.

Also, John Carpenter's Lost Themes I, II, and III, and the Mr. Robot soundtracks.

It's almost as if Folkvangr was specifically made to play synthwave.
Never heard of this group. Spent the last couple of hours listening to them. Thanks for the recommendation. I really like their sound. Of course EDM and 80’s are my thing. 😁

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #97,003 of 153,222
This is the only time in my life I have considered switching to the Apple for a second or two. Nothing against, just confuses me as do new releases of Windows, but I at least I have a head start there.

Really, did the good folk$ at M$ take away a good, useful feature for no good reason? Figures.
Very unlikely!!

Apple, for all I love their OS, is THE master at deprecating things.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #97,004 of 153,222
Well, then. It must be the cards. I'll go out and get a few 8GB cards and try again.

Thanks.
If you can insert it "both ways," it's not fully inserted. Label side up. Push it all the way in.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #97,005 of 153,222
If you can insert it "both ways," it's not fully inserted. Label side up. Push it all the way in.

Just don't miss the slot and push the card into the chassis and have to open up the case to retrieve it like a dumbass. Ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back