Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #95,761 of 153,226
Does anyone know the internal resistance of the Folkvangr’s combined output tubes?

OK, I’m too lazy to calculate it for myself…
6lvf3z.jpg

Sorry...I could not resist. :beerchug:

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #95,762 of 153,226
So how many days is the experience people are having with 'in production'? I'm thinking if they sell 100 the first two weeks, and have room for two dozen at a time to burn in, and test a dozen a day, I'll pull out all my hair before it arrives. But my nails? Will I chew off the nails too?

Happily I have a Lyr 3 to tide me over. She gets her very best tubes this evening.

BTW not sure if this matters, but the order reads "Folkvangr (Silver)115 in production".
115 refers to voltage

Mine is 115 (Black) in production

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #95,763 of 153,226
Very rapid impressions from some Folkvangr listening.

Apple Music on Mac (Dolby Atmos when available, Lossless otherwise) » Yggy LIM » Folkvangr

HD800S, low-gain first then high-gain mid-song, IM off: Listened to one song and remembered I've exclusively used them for gaming for the last 6 months and I have no idea what they sound like for music on other amps, put them away immediately 😅 (song sounded very good, better than it did on the Elex a minute later)

Elex, high-gain, IM off then on: I'm not hearing the same issues as @ArmchairPhilosopher. Things sound good? My 'that sounds right' volume setting ended up being a good bit lower than on my Phonitor XE (odd, not sure what to make of that). Bass is a little loose without impedance multiplier in high-gain, but Elex lacks bass detail anyway. I like the tuning of the Elex, bass impact is good, and the timbre is usually good, but its other performance has never been great for me--soundstage comparable to closedbacks (i.e., not good), mediocre imaging, average detail. But soundstage and imaging are both significantly better than with my Phonitor XE, the sense of space and placement is something I didn't think the Elex could do. Detail doesn't seem to be appreciably different, might be down a bit.
  • Quick example of space/placement difference: on Billie Eilish's "you should see me in a crown" there's a sub-vocalized demon voice that is separated from Billie's vocals and actually comes from the correct position/distance on the Dolby Atmos mix. On the Phonitor XE it's just mixed with Billie's voice.
  • Trying low-gain: listened to "Why So Serious?" from The Dark Knight soundtrack and now I can hear pretty significant weaknesses while in low-gain. Bass detail in the sub-bass section is absolutely worse. Impedance multiplier helps and recovers some of the non-bass detail. The loud 'crunches' starting at 4:40 are brutally bad, lacking attack, detail, and timbre. High-gain + IM mostly fixes it but still lacks some attack and the trail-off sounds loose.

I'm gonna try the HEDDphone and AB-1266 Phi TC next.

Also, noticed this curious bit on the box:
IMG_1155.jpeg

+TUBES seems like a curious inclusion. It implies [null] or NO TUBES or -TUBES.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #95,764 of 153,226
It's FedEx.

In my imagination I think they see the Schiit packing tape and deliberately screw with the tracking data just to play head games with us audiophools.

My Gungnir was originally scheduled for Wednesday delivery, then updated to delivery last Saturday, then tracking showed it wandering around the midwest. It arrived today, one day ahead of originally promised. The Folkvangr was originally due this Friday. Now scheduled for tomorrow. I'm still expecting it on Friday and if it gets here early, I'll be thrilled.
My FedEx Express experience has been uniformly stellar. Their other services have yeilded mixed results. This photo is from last February.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 6.22.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 6.22.01 PM.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #95,765 of 153,226
That looks like somethng USPS would do. I shipped a package recently and wanted signature required. Which they were willing to sell me. When I asked if I would get notification of signature USPS told me they don't actually get a signature due to Covid restrictions. But they were willing to charge for it. :jecklinsmile:

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #95,766 of 153,226
That looks like somethng USPS would do. I shipped a package recently and wanted signature required. Which they were willing to sell me. When I asked if I would get notification of signature USPS told me they don't actually get a signature due to Covid restrictions. But they were willing to charge for it. :jecklinsmile:

In NY porch piracy is running rampant. So are car burglaries.. Also, forget about leaving packages in or at a mailbox. That's the first place they look...

And from what I have heard, none of the delivery services actually have deliveries signed for since the Covid debacle.. So it's not worth paying extra for...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #95,768 of 153,226
Probably required by law to ensure a minor didn't order alcohol.

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #95,769 of 153,226
And how about some real coffee mugs in the swag section.

I have an SVS-SB1000. That thing gets crazy loud compared to all the other subs I have/owned.
The kef looks good and simple and small, but the svs 1000 pro with the ability to alter to the sound with your phone in real time destroys any other option without this feature for me. And yes, it sounds loud. Frankly, I could've gone with the $800 version with two smaller woofers? But this is enough.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #95,771 of 153,226
They can't bury Thor's hammer forever. But it will be awhile, methinks, before Mjolnir makes another appearance.

I don't know about a Mjolnir 3 (word has it the M2 did not sell well in spite of being an excellent headphone amp). I asked Schitt
about the possibility of manufacturing a Valhalla 3 and was told that Jason has no plans to do so, since the Valhalla 2 is still a great seller.

Of course, this is all speculation... 😉

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #95,773 of 153,226
I don't know about a Mjolnir 3 (word has it the M2 did not sell well in spite of being an excellent headphone amp). I asked Schitt
about the possibility of manufacturing a Valhalla 3 and was told that Jason has no plans to do so, since the Valhalla 2 is still a great seller.

Of course, this is all speculation... 😉
Mjolnir 3, if Jason ever finds time and parts to make it, would as likely be solid state TOTL statement as anything tubey, given the value Lyr presents. Maybe a SE limited release?

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #95,774 of 153,226
Mjolnir 3, if Jason ever finds time and parts to make it, would as likely be solid state TOTL statement as anything tubey, given the value Lyr presents. Maybe a SE limited release?
I think it’s possible a Mjolnir 3 could happen, but I wouldn’t bet on SS. The expected quantifiable performance requirements for SS limit sonic variation too much. Put another way, both the Jot2 and the Asgard are really excellent amps and I don’t think a SS Mjolnir would sound sufficiently different to sell well.

Admittedly I’m a tube amp enthusiast so could be I’m biased. That said, if the Folkvangr does well and Schiit wants to save the Folkvangr moniker for the wild and crazy Schiit, I could see a tube Mjolnir resurrection, possibly with an impedance multiplier

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #95,775 of 153,226
Guessing that FV will sound best with Planars and other medium efficiency / low impedance hp’s that are outside of Valhalla 2’s optimal load range.

(added)
Having 4x the number of 6N6P output tube sections in FV vs VH2 means a lower output impedance and more current drive capability, but the trade-off is additional circuitry needed to independently set the bias point for each tube section. OCL also means an added DC servo circuit not present on VH2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back