Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #95,746 of 150,438
Gungnir arrived a few minutes ago. Need to get it set up and warming up so I can listen to it.
Folkvangr will be here any time from tomorrow (Wednesday) to Friday. It'll be here when it gets here. And not a moment sooner. Right?

Time to rearrange the equipment pile.
My FV will might possibly arrive tomorrow now. It's "out for delivery" right now....in Billings....150 miles from where it should be out for delivery!
I f-ing swear, the Fates hate me. :sob:

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #95,747 of 150,438
I have a suspicion as to what may be going on here. The Folkvangr has a bunch of output tubes running in parallel. I suspect this may reduce their internal impedance.

I also have an OTL amp which, paired with hard-to-drive planars (original, very early HE-500s), will take you straight to Odin‘s table…

Why? Simple! It uses 6S41S output tubes, which have a very low internal impedance. In fact, they are effectively an uprated, ruggedised version of one half of a 6S33S dual triode. Those things are used in OTL speaker amps!

Not all OTL amps are created equal, not all obey the rules.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #95,748 of 150,438
My FV will might possibly arrive tomorrow now. It's "out for delivery" right now....in Billings....150 miles from where it should be out for delivery!
It's FedEx.

In my imagination I think they see the Schiit packing tape and deliberately screw with the tracking data just to play head games with us audiophools.

My Gungnir was originally scheduled for Wednesday delivery, then updated to delivery last Saturday, then tracking showed it wandering around the midwest. It arrived today, one day ahead of originally promised. The Folkvangr was originally due this Friday. Now scheduled for tomorrow. I'm still expecting it on Friday and if it gets here early, I'll be thrilled.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #95,749 of 150,438

Lol, mine is still listed as being delivered today, even though it's early afternoon and it still hasn't been checked into a sorting center in my state. Apparently they're driving it straight from CA to my house in IL in the Semi. :sweat_smile: Either that, or it's actually coming tomorrow.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #95,750 of 150,438
Lol, mine is still listed as being delivered today, even though it's early afternoon and it still hasn't been checked into a sorting center in my state. Apparently they're driving it straight from CA to my house in IL in the Semi. :sweat_smile: Either that, or it's actually coming tomorrow.
I think @AudioGal snuck into FedEx's "logistics" center and overheard their "experts" talking and came across their ulterior motive! They are messing with us because they know we audiofools keep their tracking page loaded and refresh it every couple of minutes to see where our Schiit is.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #95,751 of 150,438
Superbly expressed, sir. Huzzah!

I received my Folkvangr Sunday, after letting it warm up I tried listening to it through Oppo PM-2 headphones I recently purchased (they are still available new) and was very impressed with the sound. I have been listening through headphones since, listening this morning the sound keeps getting better. I also have a Benchmark HPA-4, I enjoy both presentations (again the flavors thing) for different reasons. My thanks to Jason, Mike and the staff at Schiit for manufacturing such a product. Yes the device gets hot, one needs to consider proper placement for a long product life, looks like my oled is getting a wall mount as I have run out of room. Could this be the "sacred cow roaster" or is there something else cooking? Hmmm... time will tell.

Attachments

• Folkvangr_.jpg
    Folkvangr_.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #95,752 of 150,438
Does anyone know the internal resistance of the Folkvangr’s combined output tubes?

OK, I’m too lazy to calculate it for myself…

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #95,753 of 150,438
Conversation in my house earlier today: "B" is my wife, "A" is me... I've been adding to my vacuum tube collection lately so there have been more than the usual number of deliveries here.

* Sound of a delivery truck coming up our dirt road, dogs perking up at the sound *

B: "Who's that?"
A: Looking out the window. "FedEx."
B: "More tubes?"
A: Sees delivery dude carrying largish box - "Nope. Another piece of Schiit."
B: Chuckling, "Figures. Have fun!"

And that's just one of the many reasons why I love her.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #95,754 of 150,438
I have 2 packages coming from Norne Audio. One is pigtails, so I can use the same cable on multiple headphones. The second package is the headphone cable. The pigtail package shipped on 6/30 and the headphone cable on 7/01. Not sure why the pigtails did not ship out on Friday morning, 7/01 from Oakland but they didn't. I had requested, seperately, that each package be held at the FedEx store that is nearest to me. I've received a text that the headphone cable is ready for pickup at the FedEx store. Top of tracking for the pigtails says they are out for delivery but detailed tracking says the package is still at the FedEx facility in Tempe, Arizona. LOL at FedEx....I've had good and bad experiences with UPS, USPS and FedEx....it's a roll of the dice, or like a "box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get" as to what service you'll get.......:scream::thinking::slight_frown: At least FedEx got Folkvangr delivery correct as it was delivered last Saturday!

Pigtail Package.JPG

Norne Headphone Cable.JPG

Folkvangr FedEx.JPG

Edit: Added Folkvangr delivery/tracking

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #95,755 of 150,438
I think @AudioGal snuck into FedEx's "logistics" center and overheard their "experts" talking and came across their ulterior motive! They are messing with us because they know we audiofools keep their tracking page loaded and refresh it every couple of minutes to see where our Schiit is.
Glad to hear I’m not alone

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #95,756 of 150,438
Gungnir arrived a few minutes ago. Need to get it set up and warming up so I can listen to it.
If your Gungnir is a new one and anything like my OG one, it'll need the time between now and when the FV arrives to get past its teething stages, say about 80% to its peak. Then, watch out, ears! sonic bliss heading your way.

* Sound of a delivery truck coming up our dirt road, dogs perking up at the sound *

And that's just one of the many reasons why I love her.
She sounds like a keeper, for sher.

Is it too late to train the dogs to bring in the packages, like little (or big) sled dogs? Mine can't reach the doorknob, unfortunately.

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #95,757 of 150,438

Is it too late to train the dogs to bring in the packages, like little (or big) sled dogs? Mine can't reach the doorknob, unfortunately.
I tried training my dogs but my headphones kept disappearing.

Attachments

• 5DA65FE3-16D4-4D79-803E-92646E74B597.jpeg
    5DA65FE3-16D4-4D79-803E-92646E74B597.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #95,758 of 150,438
So how many days is the experience people are having with 'in production'? I'm thinking if they sell 100 the first two weeks, and have room for two dozen at a time to burn in, and test a dozen a day, I'll pull out all my hair before it arrives. But my nails? Will I chew off the nails too?

Happily I have a Lyr 3 to tide me over. She gets her very best tubes this evening.

BTW not sure if this matters, but the order reads "Folkvangr (Silver)115 in production".

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #95,759 of 150,438
Oh, that she is. We support and encourage each other in our respective hobbies and activities. She's got me playing softball and turned me into a hard core East Coast skier so she has someone to ski with. We both love music, our musical genre Venn diagram has a 98% overlap.

Might be possible to train the new (to us) dog to do this. At least for the smaller packages. Though I'm really not sure I want to teach him how to open doors, he's certainly big enough to nose the door handle. Half Black Lab, half Plott hound, about 85lbs at 2 years old. He's a big boy, bigger than our older dog who's all Black Lab and rather slower at age 14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back