Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #95,716 of 149,156
The Folkvangr is in! HumX was needed in my case but had that handy. First impression - yes, no noise floor! I sat back and listened to a number of choice Tidal tracks with my HD6XX. The sound stage on some classic jazz and instrumental soundtracks felt more open and detailed… warm..? Pardon the pun, though it doesn’t run as hot as I imagined. Same can be said on most tracks I listened to. Brubeck - Take Five, Jazz at the Pawnshop - High Life, Interstellar OST - Mountains and Last of the Mohicans - Promentory… so good! It’s the “tube magic” I had hoped for without the lushness I got out of my intro-gear. I’ll fully admit, this could be a honeymoon phase. Shiny, or rather glow-y, new toy… that warm glow, seriously. It’s the experience.

I wish I had time to run through more tracks, play some vinyl, and even time to A/B against my Valhalla 2 or Jot2 and Freya+ (tube stage) but it’ll have to wait until after my summer travels. For now, I walk away with a hole in my pocket well worth the initial experience!

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #95,717 of 149,156
Yep as panda noted, I hang the inner and outer sleeves since I have no tabletop space lol
Oh, of course! (Minor face palm...)
What threw me off is that almost all my LPs came with paper inner sleeves, which are less than happy to be draped over a rod. OTOH, such inner sleeves often have lyrics, art, or multiple small pictures of other records from the same company; a form of advertising I now find rather charming. That's how I learned of the existence of Acker Bilk (no, really, look him up...) and many other artists.
And I'm still impressed by how organized you are. I'm gonna rearrange my system...in my next life, maybe.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #95,718 of 149,156
Oh, of course! (Minor face palm...)
What threw me off is that almost all my LPs came with paper inner sleeves, which are less than happy to be draped over a rod. OTOH, such inner sleeves often have lyrics, art, or multiple small pictures of other records from the same company; a form of advertising I now find rather charming. That's how I learned of the existence of Acker Bilk (no, really, look him up...) and many other artists.
And I'm still impressed by how organized you are. I'm gonna rearrange my system...in my next life, maybe.
Took more thought than I'd like to admit as far as space planning and layout went.

Although now the new Gungnir that I just put in is misbehaving. Gives terrible distortion after the first sample rate change click. Very strange and hard to troubleshoot. Sent an email to support.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #95,719 of 149,156
IMG_0352.jpeg

Dear Schiitizens,

This review will be a rather short one, because: This amp sucks.

No, really! I'm not kidding! I said it, I meant it, I'm here to represent it; Folkvangr sounds like complete and utter a$$. Even to this blathering Schiit fanboy, this amp sounds horrendously bad.

Still don't believe me? Well, then read on and let me explain…

I like Schiit. I like headphone amps. I like tubes. So when the possibility of a completely nuts and over-the-top, ten-tube OTL and OCL headphone amp began to take shape quite a while back, I quickly realized that I needed to get my hands on one of these. Tube shortage and limited run be damned. I've been following Jason's work long enough to know that he's not going to release something that doesn't sound magnificently, so it felt like a no-brainer to hit "Buy" on this thing even though it meant shelling out just over 2 grand (silver, plus shipping and taxes) for an entirely unproven product (and topology) that no one really had a chance to audition and review yet.

And so two days ago, a package arrived here at Casa del Armchair, containing a piece of kit that I have (more or less patiently) been waiting for ever since it was first hinted at.
Eager to finally hear for myself what Jason's been so excited about all this time, I took my Mjolnir 2 out of my desktop chain and placed my shiny new Folkvangr on top of the Gumby. I plugged everything in, installed the ten tubes while grinning like a little child on Christmas Day, and switched it on. Oooooh, look at all that tube glow!

But what headphones will I try first? I am (for the most part) a planar guy. And based on past experiences with other OTL tube amps, I knew that I would have to pick a pair of dynamics to get the best results. My current favorite pair of dynamics, the Focal Elex, sound great. Magnificent mids, lush bottom end—but their highs get really harsh real quick. And so they don't do too well with solid state and hybrid amps. OTL tube amps generally have a tendency to roll off those harsh edges, though, and so I figured that the Elex would most likely offer me the highest chance to get the best possible first impression out of this newest addition to my headphone amp collection.

So I plugged in the Elex, pulled up Roon, and hit play on my playlist of benchmark tracks that I know like the back of my hand, ready to be blown away.

The first track comes on; Kicho, by the Blue Chamber Quartett.

Wait.
Hold on just a sec.
What the heck is going on here?!

All I am getting out of my cans is a muffled mess of barely defined sonic soup.
Too much bloom.
Utterly overwhelming mids.
There's no detail.
No image.
Not even so much as a hint of separation.

This can't possibly be what Jason's been so excited about all this time, can it?
Can it?!?

Oh, right… What a facepalm moment; it's the impedance, stupid! The Elex are 80 ohm, which SHOULD be high enough for OTL, but who knows. Let's try this impedance multiplyer thingy, Jason wouldn't have included this added bit of complexity into his design if he didn't feel that it was necessary.

*flip*

Hm. A tiny bit better, but no significant change. That's weird.

I know that Jason and I don't exactly share the same taste in music, but somehow I can't imagine that there could exist a genre of anything even losely resembling "music" anywhere on earth that would make whatever it is that I'm hearing have him sit there with his mouth hanging open as he listened to his prototype for the first time. This clearly wouldn't be worth leaving your better three-quarters hanging without dinner!

No, something must be wrong with this amp…

Maybe the tubes need a few more minutes to get up to operating temperature?
So I let the amp sit for another ten minutes.

No change…

Maybe the tubes themselves are faulty? I don't have eight power tubes at hand to replace the ones it came with, but since there's no need for them to be balanced, I could take the ones I have in my Valhalla and go through them two by two until I figure out what's going on. But let's try the input tubes first. I can roll in a pair of Gold Lions, at least I know that those sound really great.
So I switch off the amp, let it cool down, roll in the Gold Lions, and switch it back on.

Still, no real change…

What the heck? OK, let's try the power tubes, two by two, until I find the culprit.

Nope! Just muddy soup…

Hmmm…

Maybe it's me? Maybe I was expecting the wrong thing? After all, the whole point of designing this amp was for Jason to find out what tubes really sound like.

So… Is this what tubes really sound like? I guess so!

Either Jason finally found his limits and released something that really sounds like a$$, or I just don't appreciate "pure" tube sound as much as I thought I did.

Either way; I'm really not enjoying this.

Oh well… I guess that seals it then; let's pack it back up and—for the first time ever—contact Schiit's support for a return authorization. Bummer, because other than the way it sounds, I really like this thing!

But before I do, just for schiits and giggles, let me fetch my go-to planars real quick.

*plug*

*click*

… … … … … … … … … 😳 What the actual fuuuuuu…!

Holy f#@k-nuts, where did this come from all of a sudden?! This sounds absolutely stunning!
I guess that it was my turn now to "literally sit there, mouth hanging open."

Wait… Let me get the Elex again…

*plug*

*click*

Hm. Muddy soup.
OK, back to the planars…

*plug*

*click*

Huh! Utter magnificence!

What in Odin's name is going on here?!

Well, as it turns out, Folkvanger does indeed sound like Louisiana swamp a$$ on a particularly muggy summer's day — with the wrong cans.

With the right set of headphones, however, this thing is capable of dwarfing even the most priced and praised headphone amps that I have had the chance to audition in the past.

Why? To be perfectly honest: I'm not sure. The whole point of Folkvangr is for you to be able to hook up directly to the tubes. No output transformer, no output caps; nothing that's sitting between your cans and your tubes. Evidently, this also means that there's no safety net, either. There's nothing there that could mask whatever the laws of physics dictate to happen between a specific set of headphones and a specific set of tubes.

Normally, I would try my best to describe what I am hearing. Transients? Detail? Stage? Frequency response? With Folkvangr, doing so would be futile. Plug in a different set of headphones, and every last bit of what I would have typed goes out the window. If there ever was a piece of kit that truly deserves that tired old caveat of "your mileage may vary" — it is this one. Whatever tubes you use, whatever headphones you plug in, the result you get will be completely unique to whichever combination you happen to use that day.
I've gone through my entire collection of headphones, Folkvangr transforms into an entirely different amp every time.
Yes, to an extent this is true for all audio gear. But what's happening here is on a completely different level.

And so I'll leave it at this:
Without hyperbole, Folkvangr has the potential to find its place among the greatest-sounding headphone amps on the planet. It also has the potential to be outperformed by a god-damned Dark Voice. Folkvangr can sound like a 25.000 dollar boutique amp, and it can sound like a 5 dollar USB dongle. More than with any other amp I've ever come across, any and all of what you will get out of it is entirely up to what you plug into it.

So, should you buy one?

Yes. Absolutely. You one hundred percent should; if—and only if—you know for certain that you can deal with the nervosa that inherrently and inevitably comes with having to not only roll tubes to find a sound that works for you, but also headphones.

Because—trust me—you will have to.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #95,720 of 149,156
Jason has mentioned using his Grado headphones with the Falkvangr, I plan to use my GS3000e on it. Now I am really anxious to see how the headphones I planned to use with it work.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #95,721 of 149,156
There’s probably less than 250 each of DNA and Eddie Current amps out there and still they pop up for sale several times a year.
Indeed. I just snagged a used DNA Stellaris for location #2, and I'll be putting for sale the EC Aficionado I have there eventually. My first Stellaris was new, took almost 2 years from ordering to arrival (COVID supply chain issues didn't help).

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #95,722 of 149,156
IMG_0352.jpeg

Dear Schiitizens,

No, really! I'm not kidding! I said it, I meant it, I'm here to represent it; Folkvangr sounds like complete and utter a$$. Even to this blathering Schiit fanboy, this amp sounds horrendously bad.

I like Schiit. I like headphone amps. I like tubes. So when the possibility of a completely nuts and over-the-top, ten-tube OTL and OCL headphone amp began to take shape quite a while back, I quickly realized that I needed to get my hands on one of these. Tube shortage and limited run be damned. I've been following Jason's work long enough to know that he's not going to release something that doesn't sound magnificently, so it felt like a no-brainer to hit "Buy" on this thing even though it meant shelling out just over 2 grand (silver, plus shipping and taxes) for an entirely unproven product (and topology) that no one really had a chance to audition and review yet.

And so two days ago, a package arrived here at Casa del Armchair, containing a piece of kit that I have (more or less patiently) been waiting for ever since it was first hinted at.
Eager to finally hear for myself what Jason's been so excited about all this time, I took my Mjolnir 2 out of my desktop chain and placed my shiny new Folkvangr on top of the Gumby. I plugged everything in, installed the ten tubes while grinning like a little child on Christmas Day, and switched it on. Oooooh, look at all that tube glow!

But what headphones will I try first? I am (for the most part) a planar guy. And based on past experiences with other OTL tube amps, I knew that I would have to pick a pair of dynamics to get the best results. My current favorite pair of dynamics, the Focal Elex, sound great. Magnificent mids, lush bottom end—but their highs get really harsh real quick. And so they don't do too well with solid state and hybrid amps. OTL tube amps generally have a tendency to roll off those harsh edges, though, and so I figured that the Elex would most likely offer me the highest chance to get the best possible first impression out of this newest addition to my headphone amp collection.

So I plugged in the Elex, pulled up Roon, and hit play on my playlist of benchmark tracks that I know like the back of my hand, ready to be blown away.

Wait.
Hold on just a sec.

Too much bloom.
There's no detail.
No image.

This can't possibly be what Jason's been so excited about all this time, can it?
Can it?!?

Oh, right… What a facepalm moment; it's the impedance, stupid! The Elex are 80 ohm, which SHOULD be high enough for OTL, but who knows. Let's try this impedance multiplyer thingy, Jason wouldn't have included this added bit of complexity into his design if he didn't feel that it was necessary.

*flip*

I know that Jason and I don't exactly share the same taste in music, but somehow I can't imagine that there could exist a genre of anything even losely resembling "music" anywhere on earth that would make whatever it is that I'm hearing have him sit there with his mouth hanging open as he listened to his prototype for the first time. This clearly wouldn't be worth leaving your better three-quarters hanging without dinner!

No change…

Maybe the tubes themselves are faulty? I don't have eight power tubes at hand to replace the ones it came with, but since there's no need for them to be balanced, I could take the ones I have in my Valhalla and go through them two by two until I figure out what's going on. But let's try the input tubes first. I can roll in a pair of Gold Lions, at least I know that those sound really great.
So I switch off the amp, let it cool down, roll in the Gold Lions, and switch it back on.

Still, no real change…

What the heck? OK, let's try the power tubes, two by two, until I find the culprit.

Nope! Just muddy soup…

Hmmm…

Maybe it's me? Maybe I was expecting the wrong thing? After all, the whole point of designing this amp was for Jason to find out what tubes really sound like.

Either Jason finally found his limits and released something that really sounds like a$$, or I just don't appreciate "pure" tube sound as much as I thought I did.

Oh well… I guess that seals it then; let's pack it back up and—for the first time ever—contact Schiit's support for a return authorization. Bummer, because other than the way it sounds, I really like this thing!

But before I do, just for schiits and giggles, let me fetch my go-to planars real quick.

*plug*

*click*

Holy f#@k-nuts, where did this come from all of a sudden?! This sounds absolutely stunning!

*plug*

*click*

Hm. Muddy soup.
OK, back to the planars…

*plug*

*click*

Huh! Utter magnificence!

Well, as it turns out, Folkvanger does indeed sound like Louisiana swamp a$$ on a particularly muggy summer's day — with the wrong cans.

With the right set of headphones, however, this thing is capable of dwarfing even the most priced and praised headphone amps that I have had the chance to audition in the past.

Why? To be perfectly honest: I'm not sure. The whole point of Folkvangr is for you to be able to hook up directly to the tubes. No output transformer, no output caps; nothing that's sitting between your cans and your tubes. Evidently, this also means that there's no safety net, either. There's nothing there that could mask whatever the laws of physics dictate to happen between a specific set of headphones and a specific set of tubes.

Normally, I would try my best to describe what I am hearing. Transients? Detail? Stage? Frequency response? With Folkvangr, doing so would be futile. Plug in a different set of headphones, and every last bit of what I would have typed goes out the window. If there ever was a piece of kit that truly deserves that tired old caveat of "your mileage may vary" — it is this one. Whatever tubes you use, whatever headphones you plug in, the result you get will be completely unique to whichever combination you happen to use that day.
I've gone through my entire collection of headphones, Folkvangr transforms into an entirely different amp every time.
Yes, to an extent this is true for all audio gear. But what's happening here is on a completely different level.

Without hyperbole, Folkvangr has the potential to find its place among the greatest-sounding headphone amps on the planet. It also has the potential to be outperformed by a god-damned Dark Voice. Folkvangr can sound like a 25.000 dollar boutique amp, and it can sound like a 5 dollar USB dongle. More than with any other amp I've ever come across, any and all of what you will get out of it is entirely up to what you plug into it.

So, should you buy one?

Yes. Absolutely. You one hundred percent should; if—and only if—you know for certain that you can deal with the nervosa that inherrently and inevitably comes with having to not only roll tubes to find a sound that works for you, but also headphones.

Which planars worked well with Folkvangr? Gain/Impedance multiplier setting?

Elex was headphone pair #3 I was going to try tomorrow when my FV arrvies, behind HD800S and TH-X00 PH. I had basically written off my planars and HEDDphones so I'm really curious which pair worked well for you.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #95,723 of 149,156
The same way as any other type of amp except that it has volume control and input switching.

If you want to know how an amplifier works, there are many books on the subject - it's not a two sentence explanation (at least not a useful one).

Maybe I’m wrong, but you’re just saying “no that’s not how things work” without providing an explanation.

For those who are interested in Schiit's all-out tube headphone amp, Folkvangr uses a total of 10 tubes--two matched 6N1Ps for input and voltage gain, and eight 6N6Ps for output. Eight separate DC servos keep the output tubes at a low level of offset, and an analog-computer-style protection system monitors and mutes the output in case of any tube mishaps. At idle, the 10 tubes run 7.2A of heater current and 100mA of standing bias.
I’m supposing that the preamp outs by definition skip the output tubes.

If you disagree, what do you suppose is happening?

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #95,724 of 149,156
Which planars worked well with Folkvangr? Gain/Impedance multiplier setting?

Elex was headphone pair #3 I was going to try tomorrow when my FV arrvies, behind HD800S and TH-X00 PH. I had basically written off my planars and HEDDphones so I'm really curious which pair worked well for you.
The dual-magnet version of the GoldPlanar GL2000—but I can't recommend anyone to buy them. GoldPlanar's quality control is virtually non-existent, buying a set essentially means that you'll be playing the lottery. I happened to luck out and got a pair that sounds like heaven on earth. A lot of other people weren't as lucky.

Low gain, multiplier on.

Sundaras, my least favorite set of planars, sound surprisingly good, too. None of my dynamic headphones perform as good. Most of them still sound a lot better than the Elex, but not quite as good as any of the planars. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Folkvangr seems to like the flat impedance curve that planars inherently have to them.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #95,725 of 149,156
Hopefully Jason can comment on some of the reasons for the Folkvangr liking Planars better than dynamic. Of course more amps in the hands of more owners may expand our knowledge base.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #95,726 of 149,156
IMG_0352.jpeg

Dear Schiitizens,

Wait.
Hold on just a sec.

Too much bloom.
There's no detail.
No image.

Can it?!?

*flip*

No change…

Still, no real change…

Nope! Just muddy soup…

Hmmm…

*plug*

*click*

*plug*

*click*

Hm. Muddy soup.
OK, back to the planars…

*plug*

*click*

Huh! Utter magnificence!

So, should you buy one?

What dynamic driver headphones have you tried with the Folkvangr besides your Elex, and have any of them sounded good, or would you describe the Folkvangr as being more suited towards planar headphones?

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #95,727 of 149,156
The dual-magnet version of the GoldPlanar GL2000—but I can't recommend anyone to buy them. GoldPlanar's quality control is virtually non-existent, buying a set essentially means that you'll be playing the lottery. I happened to luck out and got a pair that sounds like heaven on earth. A lot of other people weren't as lucky.

Low gain, multiplier on.

Sundaras, my least favorite set of planars, sound surprisingly good, too. None of my dynamic headphones perform nearly as good. Most of them still sound quite a bit better than the Elex, but not as good as any of the planars. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Folkvangr seems to like the flat impedance curve that planars inherently have to them.
Loved your micro review! :wink:. I’ll have to try my Sundaras and roll in the JAN 7308 Gold Pins O Getter pair I had in my Valhalla 2 after my travels and see how they compare. In anycase, I suspect I’ll be selling my other tube amps.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #95,728 of 149,156
IMG_0352.jpeg

Dear Schiitizens,

Wait.
Hold on just a sec.

Too much bloom.
There's no detail.
No image.

Can it?!?

*flip*

No change…

Still, no real change…

Nope! Just muddy soup…

Hmmm…

*plug*

*click*

*plug*

*click*

Hm. Muddy soup.
OK, back to the planars…

*plug*

*click*

Huh! Utter magnificence!

So, should you buy one?

Great writeup! Thanks for posting. It will be very interesting to hear other folks' thoughts as they receive their amps.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #95,729 of 149,156
What dynamic driver headphones have you tried with the Folkvangr besides your Elex, and have any of them sounded good, or would you describe the Folkvangr as being more suited towards planar headphones?
I'm sure that a lot of people would enjoy the sound of the better-performing dynamics more than what I enjoy about the planars. In the end and to a huge part, it's mostly up to personal taste and the genres of music that one happens to enjoy. Some headphones simply perform better with some genres than with others.

The most enjoyable result of any of my dynamics I got from my HarmonicDyne Zeus. The worst result (other than the Elex) I saw with my 600 ohm deyerdynamic DT990 Edition. Surprisingly, because their high impedance would suggest that they should do well, which they in fact do with my Valhalla 2.
All the other dynamics I've tried landed somewhere in the middle. None were nearly as bad as the Elex and the DT 990, but none of them were able to rise to the level of any of the planars, either.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #95,730 of 149,156

Low gain, multiplier on.

Sundaras, my least favorite set of planars, sound surprisingly good, too. None of my dynamic headphones perform as good. Most of them still sound a lot better than the Elex, but not quite as good as any of the planars. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Folkvangr seems to like the flat impedance curve that planars inherently have to them.
Thanks! Not sure anyone in this thread could convince me to buy a pair of GL2000s, mostly wanted to check out the specs of headphones that combine well...60ohm and easy to drive seems like a good recipe. And not a recipe that any of my planars have :sweat_smile:

Will be curious what sticks to the wall from my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back