Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #95,612 of 151,296
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #95,613 of 151,296
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #95,614 of 151,296
When Mjolnir was discontinued last year, I kicked myself for missing the boat. Besides Jason, who knew an even cooler boat was on its way? Cool as in really hot.

I spent last night listening to the Folkvangr and for me, it's as good as it's ever going to get. Thanks to Jason and the team for creating something so wonderful.
To slam the sales floodgates wide open, you need to take another picture in subdued lighting to really show off the glow. With a picture like that, I'd probably buy another!

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #95,616 of 151,296
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #95,617 of 151,296
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #95,618 of 151,296
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #95,619 of 151,296
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #95,620 of 151,296
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #95,621 of 151,296
From Folkvangr's user manual:
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 12.19.03 PM.png

But… Folkvangr doesn't have any LEDs on the front. 😳
So I guess I can lick the caps roll the tubes immediately?! 🤪

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #95,622 of 151,296
The Glow! The GLOW! Must...Not...Buy....

Assuming my will doesn't crumble like a thin cracker, how would you say it compares to the Valhalla which I see you have right there? Because I like my Valhalla quite a bit.
I had used Asgards exclusively for the past eleven years until I received the Valhalla last fall as a birthday gift. While I love the immediacy of the Asgards, the Valhalla is so pleasant to listen to - everything's there but it's like the performers took two steps back and it made a ton of difference. Not better, but different. There's no similarly-sized sonic gap between Valhalla and Folkvangr, but it's there. Only the Folkvangr has given me the melt-in-the-chair warm fuzzies.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #95,623 of 151,296
Okay, okay, I am weak-willed audio-phool. I couldn't resist the siren song of the lovely tube glow, and just placed my order for a Folkvangr. And, apostasy for me, I've ordered it in *black* -- everything else is silver in the rack -- simply to augment that glow. (I consider that fact a minor victory over my audio OCD at least. Ha!)

The very first Schiit component I bought many years ago was a Bifrost Uber after reading the review in the New York Times followed closely by my beloved Valhalla. After reading Jason's comment that Folkvangr is Valhalla on steroids as it were, I simply couldn't resist.

Now I need to get a new single ended cable for my HD800's, since the original one met its untimely death at the paws of my daughter's overzealous puppy, and I only have a balanced cable which I've been happily using with my BF2/Jot2 setup in the bedroom. Time to spend a little time on Etsy. Anyone have recommendations? I'll probably have to re-jigger my audio rack too to make a well-ventilated space for this monster. Might have to retire the NAD CD player...

On the rational side of the equation, I do live in Minnesota, so Folkvangr will be an effective space heater for half of the year.

Still catching up on Jason's thread (been away from it for a long time), so I apologize in advance if I've missed a post discussing this pairing, but has anyone who's gotten a Folkvangr used it with a HD800 or HD800S yet? Impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoying the new Porcupine Tree and the Radiohead-in-all-but-name release by The Smile. And, of course, I've been spinning Bowie's Ziggy rather frequently in honor of its 50th anniversary (how can that possibly be??). Happy listening all.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #95,624 of 151,296
Okay, okay, I am weak-willed audio-phool. I couldn't resist the siren song of the lovely tube glow, and just placed my order for a Folkvangr. And, apostasy for me, I've ordered it in *black* -- everything else is silver in the rack -- simply to augment that glow. (I consider that fact a minor victory over my audio OCD at least. Ha!)

The very first Schiit component I bought many years ago was a Bifrost Uber after reading the review in the New York Times followed closely by my beloved Valhalla. After reading Jason's comment that Folkvangr is Valhalla on steroids as it were, I simply couldn't resist.

Now I need to get a new single ended cable for my HD800's, since the original one met its untimely death at the paws of my daughter's overzealous puppy, and I only have a balanced cable which I've been happily using with my BF2/Jot2 setup in the bedroom. Time to spend a little time on Etsy. Anyone have recommendations? I'll probably have to re-jigger my audio rack too to make a well-ventilated space for this monster. Might have to retire the NAD CD player...

On the rational side of the equation, I do live in Minnesota, so Folkvangr will be an effective space heater for half of the year.

Still catching up on Jason's thread (been away from it for a long time), so I apologize in advance if I've missed a post discussing this pairing, but has anyone who's gotten a Folkvangr used it with a HD800 or HD800S yet? Impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoying the new Porcupine Tree and the Radiohead-in-all-but-name release by The Smile. And, of course, I've been spinning Bowie's Ziggy rather frequently in honor of its 50th anniversary (how can that possibly be??). Happy listening all.
You are in good company here. I like LQI Cables for their build quality which is top notch. There are cheaper and more expensive options of course.

https://lqicables.com/

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #95,625 of 151,296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back