Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #95,356 of 155,327
Nice pictures. I hope they sound as good as they look.
I have two questions:
1. Is there a reason why you did not add a balanced HP-out? Probably a stupid question but I have no clue.
2. Did you test it as a pre-amp for any of your power amps and if so, how did it sound? Is it an improvement to put this amp as pre-amp in place of a Freya?
Thanks.
As to your first question, the answer is in the FAQ -
Edit - I'm also curious how this sounds as a pre-amp...

Why no balanced inputs or outputs?
Because this isn’t a balanced amp, and we don’t add connectors to fake you out.

Why isn’t it balanced?
Because it magnifies the tubes’ inherent weaknesses—current output and output impedance. Balanced amps have to deliver twice the current into the same load, which ain’t a great idea with tubes. Also, balanced amps have double the output impedance. So, as a balanced amp it would be an inferior amp.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #95,357 of 155,327
I have never heard that before!
Only have experience with 1 OTL amp (the famous GOTL), and I never turn it on with headphones plugged in...

I think it's OK to power it on with no HP and then plug them in (I do that), not so much to leave it on with no HPs or load for extended periods of time, such as burning in tubes, etc. What I've heard is that running OTL tube amps with no load creates high voltages across the power transformer primary that can damage it over time. As posted previously, some MFGs even state that their amps should not be in a powered-on state with no HPs or no load. It may be design specific, but I'd rather be safe.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #95,358 of 155,327
I think it's OK to power it on with no HP and then plug them in (I do that), not so much to leave it on with no HPs or load for extended periods of time, such as burning in tubes, etc. What I've heard is that running OTL tube amps with no load creates high voltages across the output transformer primary that can damage it over time. As posted previously, some MFGs even state that their amps should not be in a powered-on state with no HPs or no load. It may be design specific, but I'd rather be safe.
Thanks for clarifying!

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #95,359 of 155,327
I think it's OK to power it on with no HP and then plug them in (I do that), not so much to leave it on with no HPs or load for extended periods of time, such as burning in tubes, etc. What I've heard is that running OTL tube amps with no load creates high voltages across the output transformer primary that can damage it over time. As posted previously, some MFGs even state that their amps should not be in a powered-on state with no HPs or no load. It may be design specific, but I'd rather be safe.
If it is OTL, then it does not have an output transformer.

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #95,360 of 155,327
As to your first question, the answer is in the FAQ -
Edit - I'm also curious how this sounds as a pre-amp...

Why no balanced inputs or outputs?
Because this isn’t a balanced amp, and we don’t add connectors to fake you out.

Why isn’t it balanced?
Because it magnifies the tubes’ inherent weaknesses—current output and output impedance. Balanced amps have to deliver twice the current into the same load, which ain’t a great idea with tubes. Also, balanced amps have double the output impedance. So, as a balanced amp it would be an inferior amp.
Thanks.

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #95,361 of 155,327
Oooops. I meant power transformer. (I'll edit)

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #95,362 of 155,327
For what it's worth:
Going by the photos that Jason posted yesterday, Schiit is burning in the amps without any load plugged into the headphone jacks or pre outs. I would assume they wouldn't do that if it could harm the amp.

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #95,363 of 155,327
Good point, although I don't really know how long that "burn-in" period is. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #95,364 of 155,327
Oooops. I meant power transformer. (I'll edit)
I don't understand your concern at all. The output stage of an OTL is essentially a cathode follower with a voltage gain of less than 1. Cathode followers are very stable, and are used in many pieces of test equipment because they have stability independent of load. Since the cathode follower is running in the Class A operating region, the load on the power transformer is the same at zero signal or full output, so the secondary of the transformer sees a constant load. Since the primary of the transformer is connected to the power grid, it's inherent impedance is so low that anything we do on the power transformer secondary is orders of magnitude below what would disturb the primary. I think that you may be talking about certain Single Ended transformer amps.

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #95,366 of 155,327
Like this?

Tubes are very hot (pretty much same as Valhalla 2). Chassis not so much.

They look even more ominous in black:

IMG_0831.jpg

To my eye, FV in black is easily the sexist bit of kit to ever come from Schitt!! Amazing, drool-worthy stuff!

Also a nice surprise that both silver and black are available in such a small run. Any hope that the same will ever be true for Loki Max? Seems like it's the only full-width piece not available in silver and it shares the same metal as Freya - so seems possible - but I'd love to know if it's a just a hard no so I can stop obsessively checking the Loki Max order page:wink:

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #95,367 of 155,327
I don't understand your concern at all. The output stage of an OTL is essentially a cathode follower with a voltage gain of less than 1. Cathode followers are very stable, and are used in many pieces of test equipment because they have stability independent of load. Since the cathode follower is running in the Class A operating region, the load on the power transformer is the same at zero signal or full output, so the secondary of the transformer sees a constant load. Since the primary of the transformer is connected to the power grid, it's inherent impedance is so low that anything we do on the power transformer secondary is orders of magnitude below what would disturb the primary. I think that you may be talking about certain Single Ended transformer amps.
I'll defer and certainly did not say I was the expert. Just citing what I'd seen and what I've read from others regarding what their amps mfg stated. You are correct that it may be, as I stated, a design variable (SET) where this applies and not applicable to all tube amps. I personally prefer to err on the side of caution and have no reason to have an amp on for extended periods without anything connected, but that's just my OCD showing. I appreciate you setting the record straight. I'm sure @Zachik will sleep better tonight. :D

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #95,368 of 155,327
I really liked the look of the black chassis. However my Yggdrasil and Rag 2 are both in silver. My OCD wouldn't allow me to order the black. :jecklinsmile:

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #95,370 of 155,327
They state their brand goal is "To bring love and peace to the world." Has to be a scam. Nobody does that anymore. :jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back