Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #95,386 of 150,716
I don't understand your concern at all. The output stage of an OTL is essentially a cathode follower with a voltage gain of less than 1. Cathode followers are very stable, and are used in many pieces of test equipment because they have stability independent of load. Since the cathode follower is running in the Class A operating region, the load on the power transformer is the same at zero signal or full output, so the secondary of the transformer sees a constant load. Since the primary of the transformer is connected to the power grid, it's inherent impedance is so low that anything we do on the power transformer secondary is orders of magnitude below what would disturb the primary. I think that you may be talking about certain Single Ended transformer amps.
Today's winner of the not-so-coveted ORT NoK award...:L3000:

In other words, I have no real clue as to what you just said but will nod my approval as if I actually did, hence the NoK, aka: the Nod of Knowledge! :beerchug:
And I honestly believe you as I have left my former Valhalla 2 on for hours sans any load. Not for purposes of "burning it in" but because I am forget full. No harm has ever been noticed in either musical reproduction or melt-down. Yup. It is da Schiit!

Huzzahs to you, sir!

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #95,389 of 150,716
... because I deal with higher-temp systems every day, at the edge of existing polymer capabilities, and we have an entire research department dedicated to finding mitigations for systems operating at very high intrinsic temperatures.
Maybe you can help @Jason Stoddard come up with an even more insane headphone amp. Why stop at 100degC when there are so many more numbers past that ?! :-D

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #95,390 of 150,716
I wonder if the entire allotment of 248 Folkvangrs will be sold by July 4th?

There's just something about the look of this amp that makes me want one.

The *Folkvangr does not look like any other headphone amp I can think of. And its unique design
- OTL, OCL makes it even more interesting. But, I promised myself that I would limit my headfi purchases
for 2022 to a DNA Starlett. So maybe next year, if Jason and Mike decide to do another run of these
I may grab one.

* I was thinking that the Folkvangr reminds me of some Conrad Johnson preamps from the 1990's.

To all new Folkvangr owners, congrats!! And please post your experiences with this neat amp when you
have some time. 😊

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #95,391 of 150,716
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #95,393 of 150,716
OMG. That should be your avatar image, or Schiit's new corporate logo....

Nothing to see here, move along please.. 😂

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #95,394 of 150,716
Yeah................I get that. But if you listen in a dimly lit room the "stick-outness" approaches an ease of use. A focus to where you are drawn to it. I mean what else besides the plug and on/off switch, do you need to have visual acuteness for? Black it is. At least the knob is not polished gold. That pimp-me-out addition does exist with other amplifiers, gladly not here though.
Easy enough to fix personalize. As soon as I find one that goes to 11 I'll be set. :laughing:

1656461310589.png

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #95,395 of 150,716
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #95,397 of 150,716
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #95,398 of 150,716
Ok if you really want to know:

WW2 USS North Carolina Battleship in the Forward Superstructure, where a lot of radar gear was located:
Notice serial no 3.
The North Carolina was the first FAST Battleship built for WW2 and we have many serial no 1's, 2's and 3's aboard.

I am a researcher that looks at radio, radar and fire control.
Thousands of real NOS tubes !!

https://www.battleshipnc.com/

Its part of this set: SG Search Radar:
That is like entirely cool!

Fun Fact: the USS North Carolina sank the USS Texas in a war game exercise after the entire Texas crew got sick from the BBQ. :laughing:

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #95,399 of 150,716
That is like entirely cool!

Fun Fact: the USS North Carolina sank the USS Texas in a war game exercise after the entire Texas crew got sick from the BBQ. :laughing:
I have to control myself when I explore the ships treasures.....seeing hundreds on virgin tube boxes with 1930's + 1940 date codes....
OMG...
Its such a rush....

Oh I really like NC BQCUE!

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #95,400 of 150,716
Bill's Mundorfs are well burnt in, unless I swap them out for a cheaper version that is, then he can start from scratch. :ksc75smile: And thank you for the kind offer, if I show up I will bring 21 year old as a present for you.
My Mundorfs have probably 1500 or so hours on them, so they're about halfway burned in. I should probably take them out and put 'em on the Cable Cooker to speed up the process. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back