Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #95,311 of 150,883
For great space heaters (and mood lighting), check out the Atma-Sphere website.

I believe you can even attach a pair of speakers!

I do hope you don’t need matched sets of tubes, though…

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #95,312 of 150,883
80A6B1A1-E5A0-40E5-99CF-4A532966407A.png

According to the website, that‘s
42 x 6AS7G output tube ( per channel )
12 x 6SN7 driver tube ( per channel )

A total of 108 TUBES!!!

Just for the power amps.

Presumably you can weld with it, too…

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #95,313 of 150,883
Jun 28, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #95,315 of 150,883
As much as I'd love to get a Folkvanger, by the time I add shipping, local tax and FX conversions, it's just getting too much here in Australia. Currency conversion is not so good looking from USD to AUD at the moment. I will experience it vicarioulsy through the thoughts and impressions here :relaxed:

Enjoy peeps!

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #95,316 of 150,883
So, am I the only one that wonders why it costs so much more than the other headphone amps? Not criticizing, just asking. I have an Yggdrasil and Ragnarok 1. Thinking this sounds like a fun amp to try all my headphones on... could take a while. But where to put it? It's as wide as Yggy and Rag.
I am guessing it is due to it having a LOT of tubes and all that would be associated with that. It also looks a whole LOT more cooooool than the other amps. Even though it is said to run hotter.

I like it for what it is. Hephaestus' Forge made for music. There is, as far as I can recall, no Nordic counterpart to Hephaestus unless one counts Eitri. Which I do not given that Hepheastus is a god (small "g") and Eitri is not. Eitri might well have been a good name for this amp but as I am certain Jason knows best as it is his baby, not mine. The Roman name "Vulcan" does nothing for me save conjure up thoughts of Kawacopy clones of Harleys. Good bikes but not what I want in a Harley, i.e., a Harley.

For those that buy this Amp, I say "HUZZAH!" In looks it is the equal of the aptly named Manley Absolute, all the while paying reverent homage to the silent classic, "Metropolis". Class made metal? Indeed.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #95,317 of 150,883
@Jason Stoddard how important is matching on the 6n6p? Are they matched in pairs or the whole set of 8?

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #95,319 of 150,883
So, am I the only one that wonders why it costs so much more than the other headphone amps? Not criticizing, just asking.
  • Entirely new chassis with added complexity compared to other chassis because it consists of more parts and parts that require more steps to produce, particularly the "muffin tin" (bends, holes, etc.)
  • New chassis form factor, requiring new shipping materials
  • Two separate PCBs (main board plus the "mezzanine" board that has the tube sockets on it) instead of the (for amps) usual single board
  • Slightly more complex assembly
  • 10 tubes with soaring tube prices
  • Considerably bigger transformer than in other headphone amps
  • Soaring prices for transformers
  • Soaring prices for aluminum
  • Limited production run, meaning less opportunity to distribute development and production overhead over a larger amount of units
…and probably a few more that I forgot or am not aware of. :)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #95,324 of 150,883
I know it's all folkvangr right now (and I ordered one too), but I am still trying to reconcile a gungnir question, while I wait for the 4-6 week backorder on one I just ordered...

With the VCO version currently since they can't get the VCXO supply, I'm trying to determine if I should keep my order.

I understand that VCXO is more accurate at higher sample rates, but from some rummaging online, it appears that no matter what your source with the VCXO the Gungnir was doing the reclocking, making some even think that the source was nearly inconsequential, unless it was so off frequency that the Buy Better Gear light was on, in which case I'm not sure if it was switching to PPO or VCO.

Anyways, my vague understanding on VCO was that it was more reliant on the source clock than the VCXO (which was not at all).

My question is, would having a higher quality source mitigate any shortcomings of a VCO? I have a Pi2aes lite on order and plan on feeding through BNC which would carry an actual AES signal. Would this be more impactful on sound than having any old source reclocked on VCXO? I really want to upgrade from BF2 so I can use that unit on my secondary system, and frankly don't have room for an Yggy. Original plan was to wait for next Gungnir version but recent remarks from Jason made me believe that isn't on the horizon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back