Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 10, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #94,441 of 150,569
by noisy, do you mean a continuous constant level, similar to white noise or pink noise, or more like random pops or clicks?
The first, constant-level white/pink noise.

From my own experience, random pops and clicks tend to come from RF interferences (especially WiFi/Bluetooth signals in the cases that I've seen) as well as heater "boil-off" (or whatever you want to call that) in brand-new tubes. The former goes away with shielding of the tubes, the latter goes away after 24 to 48 hours of burn-in.
Other kinds of pops and clicks I haven't had (yet) myself.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #94,442 of 150,569
Jun 10, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #94,444 of 150,569
Thanks ... I had no knowledge of this. Perhaps we need a Little Feat node on the sine curve?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that "Music" will have to suffice. Just in the last few pages there are mentions of Joe Walsh, Pink Floyd, Little Feat, Jeff Beck, Johhny Depp (Questionable), Doja Cat, Dua Lipa, Kenny G, Johnny Dankworth and more ... I think if I added all the music that folks in these parts like, I'd need a much bigger Sine Curve :smile:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #94,446 of 150,569
Your outhouse has power? That's smart! Gotta keep that phone charged! And Schiit runs so much smoother with electricity…
He has to have power for the 70,000 CFM exhaust fan. Would probably be good if he had a back-up generator for it too. Safety first. :laughing:

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #94,447 of 150,569
House-rolling is actually not all that difficult if you have the space for a dedicated listening room. Build several movable, swappable panels of absorption, reflectors, diffusers, bass traps, Helmholtz resonators, etc. Set up your system and your listening chair and then adjust the room in any way you like using various treatments. Up to a point, of course. But I'd be willing to bet you could create larger sonic impacts than you can with typical tube-rolling. :)
Hmm. This brought me back to The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled. Here [Edit: Hear... if blame autocorrect...] the bass, not the box.
Short concept: the subwoofer is integrated into the walls or ceiling and the backwave does not enter into the listening room.

https://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #94,448 of 150,569
It's just another of life's mystery's. I stopped stressing over it years ago. I just keep trying tubes until I find one that's quiet. And 9 times out of ten that noisy tube will be quiet in just about any other amp. That's why it good to have more than one tube for backup.

1654886118543.png
No such thing as too many backups, to be sure. 🤣

Big Pile of Tubes.jpg

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #94,449 of 150,569
This was a BEFORE pic, as in just before the wife drove over them in the mini-van after retuning from shoe shopping. :p

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #94,450 of 150,569
This was a BEFORE pic, as in just before the wife drove over them in the mini-van after retuning from shoe shopping, and just before the resulting divorce. :p
FTFY. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #94,451 of 150,569

This was a BEFORE pic, as in just before the wife drove over them in the mini-van after retuning from shoe shopping, and just before the resulting divorce where she got the Mazda RX8, the Nottingham Ace-Spacedeck w/Ace-Space arm, Wave Mechanic motor controller, Benz MC-SCHEU cartridge, Cambridge Audio CXC Transport, Schiit EITR, Cary Audio DAC-100t (tube output), Wyred4Sound Remedy re-clocker (w/AMB linear power supply), Gill/Art Audio Alana (tube) preamp, Art Audio Jota-HC SET tube amp, Tekton Design Lores w/custom crossovers, Incubus Elegans, ZMF Atticus HP, the cat, and the obese dog. :p
FTFYandM. :p

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #94,453 of 150,569
Under guard, I hope. I think there are at least three Schiitizens who are now planning an Urd-napping.
You weren't supposed to write about this in the thread! :scream_cat:

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #94,454 of 150,569
BTW, with many years in aerospace, I have seen this play out in electronic and missile production on multiple occasions. Some of these stories are really scary.

So basically, the nukes scattered around the country are only 3% likely to go off for no reason while sitting happily in their silos? Cool cool....

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #94,455 of 150,569

Users who are viewing this thread

Back