Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #94,171 of 152,846
If you want the same sonic quality the mono blocks provide, it would mean two transformers and two chokes per stereo amp in a chassis nearly twice the size. 100 pounds of ampy goodness. The delivery guy's union would sue your a$$ just for having the audacity to order one of these beasts. 🤣

I think if Jason was able to cram a Tyr dual mono / stereo amp into a single chassis smaller than a full-size dishwasher, he'd be able to sort out its delivery to the waiting masses. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #94,172 of 152,846
If you want the same sonic quality the mono blocks provide, it would mean two transformers and two chokes per stereo amp in a chassis nearly twice the size. 100 pounds of ampy goodness. The delivery guy's union would sue your a$$ just for having the audacity to order one of these beasts. 🤣

I work out everyday. That's just another weight I can dead lift (and see which of us dies first)...! 💀

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #94,173 of 152,846
You have any idea how many masses of people share your illusion that you (they) know more than all other Schiit fanboys?
This is why as my "ignore" list grows, so does my appreciation for Head-Fi. :)

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #94,174 of 152,846
I think if Jason was able to cram a Tyr dual mono / stereo amp into a single chassis smaller than a full-size dishwasher, he'd be able to sort out its delivery to the waiting masses. :p
Very likely. :)

On a slightly more serious note, though:
I wonder why you would want such an amp, though. Tyr in mono block form kinda makes the most sense to me. If there's ever such a thing as "consensus" when it comes to wiring in audio, it surely must be that running longer balanced interconnects is ( at least sonically) preferable to running longer speaker cables. So, to have the ability to place the Tyrs closer to the speakers (which I, full disclosure, didn't do myself, but purely for space limitation reasons rather than sonic considerations) should be preferable to having one big chunk of amp sitting in your stack, right? And then there's the rather considerable practical issue of how to keep such a single dual-mono/stereo Tyr run as cool as the mono blocks do.

I know I'm missing some very valid reasoning that would support the case of a dual-mono/stereo Tyr. That's why I'm asking. :)

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #94,175 of 152,846
The only reason I can think of is within the context of a lower-powered/lower-priced unit. Given the cost of dual enclosures, power supplies, etc., there might be some savings to be had there. While reducing output power may not directly translate to a cost-benefit, it could provide a potential reduction in heat, allowing for a single enclosure. Merely a possibility for us 'lesser heeled' plebes. :D

** By dual mono, I'm thinking dual mono design AFTER the PSU -- not dual PSUs. I used to have a Nikko amp with dual PSUs and dual power cords. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #94,177 of 152,846
The only reason I can think of is within the context of a lower-powered/lower-priced unit. Given the cost of dual enclosures, power supplies, etc., there might be some savings to be had there. While reducing output power may not directly translate to a cost-benefit, it could provide a potential reduction in heat, allowing for a single enclosure. Merely a possibility for us 'lesser heeled' plebes. :D

** By dual mono, I'm thinking dual mono design AFTER the PSU -- not dual PSUs. I used to have a Nikko amp with dual PSUs and power cords. :wink:
Gotcha. Good point. :)

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #94,178 of 152,846
As someone who works in television broadcast I gave up on surround sound years ago after seeing/hearing how we absolutely butcher the source media (5.1 > 2.0 > 5.1) and that's before handing it off to cable providers at the end who do their own butchery as well. We once had a producer get so mad at us for destroying their "audio masterpiece" we had to completely reconfigure a playout device's audio profile to appease him or her. They weren't wrong, it was just a royal pain to change "standards."

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #94,179 of 152,846
F6EE8F46-0F89-4170-9277-A7D844F96BEF.png

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #94,180 of 152,846
While I have not invested small house money as someone else mentioned, I do have average new car money in my home theater. And the difference between streaming audio and audio from a disc is significant. While I do watch streaming content, for movies I like, I always buy the disc. The difference with an Atmos setup is well worth it.
Also actual ceiling speakers are much better than the ones that aim up from towers. At least to my ears.

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #94,181 of 152,846
I have one of those Pride shirts. Bought it at Madison Square Garden in '77 during the Animals Tour. Watching the inflated pig fly around the inside of MSG fulfilled a teenage dream! :smile_cat:

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #94,182 of 152,846
This is why as my "ignore" list grows, so does my appreciation for Head-Fi. :)
Keep it up and you'll only be seeing PCT's posts and your own. And Jason's, obviously. :)

Jun 6, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #94,183 of 152,846
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #94,184 of 152,846
Jun 6, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #94,185 of 152,846
Texas Monthly magazine's 50 best BBQ joints in the Lone Star State:

The Top 10.

1. Goldee's Barbecue (Fort Worth)
2. InterStellar BBQ (Austin)
3. Truth Barbeque (Houston)
4. Burnt Bean Co. (Seguin)
5. LeRoy and Lewis Barbecue (Austin)
6. Cattleack Barbeque (Dallas)
7. Franklin Barbecue (Austin)
8. Evie Mae's Pit Barbeque (Wolfforth)
9. Snow's BBQ (Lexington)
10. Panther City BBQ (Fort Worth)

I wonder what's on NC's Top 10...? 😂
1. Wendy's
[end of list]

😇

I really need to take a trip to Texas… I have even recently considered actually moving there — if it wasn't such a tired cliché at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back