Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 5, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #94,127 of 150,601
Having heard the gadget's prototype, I continue to wish that it comes to life...

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #94,128 of 150,601
How the thread got skewed to "female golf" was just someone mentioning FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) and THAT generated a post with the cheesecake shot. Or maybe there were other posts I didn't see, I have a bunch of blabbermouths on ignore to avoid as much forum pollution as I can. :)

In any case, like I said I don't judge that woman for wanting to pose that way. I just don't think it belongs here. And by the way 'm 68 so I'm well into the "get off my lawn" years.
All things being equal, it is 2022 and in this audio forum I purfur (spelling intended) pictures of dogs 🐕 and cats 🐈 over cleavage.

That being said, let's be kind and not admonishing towards each other and leave vitriol for the rest of the internet.

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #94,130 of 150,601
So no explanation of the "AV receivers" terminology?

Are we still living in 1979? Listening to KROQ 106.7? Is receiving FM or AM radio a function used by more than 0.003% of the owners?

Sorry, I truly hate that we apparently got Groundhog Dayed back in the 1980s on this one piece of audio terminology. Can we kill it? I mean, without spending $5K on an AV preamp and even more money on a stack of amps? Is there something we can call an integrated centerpiece of a multichannel system besides "receiver," (a term I associate with Radio Shack catalogs)?

But maybe it's just me. After all, I also hate the bataan-death-march-to-the-future of Dolby and HDMI tech. Having to re-pull HDMI cables thru walls many many damn times because the standard changed can do that to you. Not caring about the latest 64.16.8 surround formats, because, you know, I live in an actual house, with a non-house-priced room for watching schiit in, and 5 channels plus a sub or two is, like, well, tons, thank you. Having to have a bazillion odd speakers just to max out the 5-10 minutes out of the 2 hour movie the audio engineers spent to do full ATMOS experience seems silly as well.

So yeah. Just me, complaining. Maybe I'm stupid. That's cool.

But I'd really, really, really like to kill the word, "receiver."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 5, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #94,132 of 150,601

Are we still living in 1979? Listening to KROQ 106.7? Is receiving FM or AM radio a function used by more than 0.003% of the owners?

Sorry, I truly hate that we apparently got Groundhog Dayed back in the 1980s on this one piece of audio terminology. Can we kill it? I mean, without spending $5K on an AV preamp and even more money on a stack of amps? Is there something we can call an integrated centerpiece of a multichannel system besides "receiver," (a term I associate with Radio Shack catalogs)?

But maybe it's just me. After all, I also hate the bataan-death-march-to-the-future of Dolby and HDMI tech. Having to re-pull HDMI cables thru walls many many damn times because the standard changed can do that to you. Not caring about the latest 64.16.8 surround formats, because, you know, I live in an actual house, with a non-house-priced room for watching schiit in, and 5 channels plus a sub or two is, like, well, tons, thank you. Having to have a bazillion odd speakers just to max out the 5-10 minutes out of the 2 hour movie the audio engineers spent to do full ATMOS experience seems silly as well.

KROQ was the bomb, though.

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #94,133 of 150,601

1. I cannot remember the last time I listened to either AM or FM at home or it sounding "good" on a receiver.

2. I do listen to AM radio in the car for traffic/news and it seems to be continuously degrading in quality every year.

3. 5 channels is plenty for TV/Movies in the home. I did wire up atmos 7 channels for a while, but I prefer to biamp my fronts in a 5 channel setup instead.

4. 2 channels of Schiit is still best for music, Atmos/DTS is more of a distracting party trick.

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #94,135 of 150,601
I thought 'receiver' was the term the MFGs used since they continue to 'receive' one's money for new unit upgrades after standards change annually. 🤔

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #94,136 of 150,601
Replacement terminology. Home Theater Preamp or Home Theater Processor, and if powered (you know, like a "receiver") then Home Theater Control Center.

Unless Dolby already has those names copywritten.

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #94,137 of 150,601
Please don't kill off receivers! I have been enjoying the Sansui (below) since Feb. 1972. And just this afternoon, was listening to the Philadelphia Orchestra 'on the air'. Yes, I know, you can listen over the internet, but I'm both old and old fashioned.

(And no, I don't got no stinkin' AVR !!)

Cheers, Jim

Attachments

• Sansui4000.jpeg
    Sansui4000.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 5, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #94,138 of 150,601

Explanation? No. That's why I didn't respond when it was brought up yesterday.
Just a hunch that it might have something to do with people generally having a tendency to be averse to adopt new terminology. Unless you're a teenager trying to rebel against the old folks, or a multinational corporation that has to sell more of the same thing by making it sound like it'd be something new.

But I'm not the one to ask, anyway. I'm one of those whackos who sincerely believes that a pristine sounding 2-channel system and a minimum of room treatment trumps even an above-average quality surround rig. Yes, for movies, too.

That also solves that pesky HDMI issue for me, because I only have to deal with a single optical cord for the two meters from my TV to the Yggy.

But again: I'm weird that way, and I can appreciate that there's a legit use for surround. At least for some.

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #94,139 of 150,601

I just listen to 2.0 or 2.1 music. I have a 40-year-old non-digital tuner for baseball and “The Christmas Music Station”, but only during the appropriate seasons. I thought AV “receivers“ also received TV until recently. Schiit can just refuse to make anything that receives anything and I’ll be happy. I‘m an engineer but speaker systems with “11.5.6” nomenclature just confuse me.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #94,140 of 150,601
Well done, folks. I knew this wasn't Reddit.
The folks here have, in my opinion, been very good about keeping the thread's keel even, even when debates get heated. Sometimes vitriol has briefly broken out, but has always been quickly resolved.

My remembrance of the classic meaning of various terms:
  • Amplifier: only audio power
  • Pre-amplifier: only audio signal switching and volume control (perhaps balance and tone controls, too), there's the "line stage" variant too, without the phono pre-amp section.
  • Integrated amplifier: audio power plus switching and volume control
  • Receiver: audio power plus switching, volume control and radio reception

So perhaps modern A/V Receivers are closest to A/V Integrated Amplifiers? Kind of clunky for sound-bite-ad-copy so maybe that's why the term receiver is used? Of course, the Theta Casablanca I use, and other pieces as well, are called preamp-processors because of all the DSP they can do. But that's even worse: A/V integrated pream-processor? AIPP? Yuk.

I'm generally happy with stereo sound, even for movies. I like the center channel, though, for keeping dialog sorted out. Sometimes I like the rear channels but usually don't care one way or the other. I haven't had a sub in years so bass management hasn't been an issue.

Since I didn't grow up in LA it was KSJO and KOME in the Bay Area for me. KSJO now broadcasts Bollywood, and KOME is now KUFX and broadcasts classic rock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back