Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 19, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #93,408 of 150,438
So I'm sticking with my BF2 for the moment, but I'm thinking my Saga S might be the weak link in the chain. Just picked up a Freya S off B stock. That means that when I do upgrade to either a Gumby or Yggy, I can go balanced in. And also consider going with either Vidar or Aegir mononblocks.
I'm in a very similar boat! I loved my Modi MB so much I bought a Bifrost 2. I think my Saga+ is great, but couldn't resist the call of a Freya+ (on the way). Not certain how much or how long I'll be able to resist checking out a Vidar or Aegir. I'm starting to get why so many here seem to either own or have already gone thru most of Schiit's product line :beerchug:. I've only had good luck and appreciation for each product and step up the line.

May 19, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #93,410 of 150,438
Also listened to some awesome Devore Fidelity Orangutan speakers. Again way out of my league.
I owned a pair of those (96's) for five years. When driven by a really warm tube they are wonderful. When driven by a lesser more clinical amp they can suck.

May 19, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #93,412 of 150,438
It's a long shot, but I'm getting a builder to make a DIY amp and I really liked the color Schiit uses on their silver panels. Does anyone know what color this is? What hex color would that be? I emailed schiit but haven't gotten any response. I have no experience with this kind of thing. Would love suggestions. Thanks!

IMG_9930 Large.jpeg

May 19, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #93,413 of 150,438
Found a T-shirt for ORT:
Screenshot_20220519-202558.png

May 19, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #93,414 of 150,438
May 19, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #93,415 of 150,438
I don't have quite that collection, but I do have a Gungnir D/S, a Bifrost MB OG, a Modius, and a Modi 3. In addressing some that think the Gundgnir is lean, to me the Bifrost is a bit fat in the bass and upper bass, in comparison. The Gungnir is much more controlled, with better timbre, pitch, bass dynamics and impact, plus bass extension and depth. On my speakers, switching to the Gungnir makes me feel as if I've turned on a sub. And I mean that in a good way.

For me, where the Gungnir falls short, is on the upper end. There's not as much air and treble extension as the Modius. Also, the Bifrost beats it for soundstage depth and image placement. One day soon, I'm going to upgrade the Gungnir to MB, and I think that'll correct what I feel to be it's minor short comings.
Modi multi-bit is my son's
Bifrost I multi-bit will likely soon be my son's
Gungnir delta-sigma is now in my bedroom system
Gungnir multi-bit is in my living room system

I generally agree with your thoughts. I think the Bifrost I emphasizes low bass rather than mid-bass and Gungnir has more even bass response. I think Gungnir may sound "brighter" or "leaner" than Bifrost to some because of that. Gungnir multi-bit has more bass quantity (but incrementally, not in a bloated way) and better detail retrieval than the delta-sigma variant. At the other end, both versions of Gungnir have smoother, airier treble than Bifrost I multi-bit which is a bit grainier to my ears. At least, that's what I think I wrote and posted in the Gungnir thread. :)

Modi provides amazing sound, but both Bifrost and Gungnir are worthwhile steps up in my opinion.

I can't comment about any of these DACs with respect to sound stage. I use them with head phones exclusively. Maybe someday, I'll connect one or more Schiit DACs to my 2-channel system, but that's a lot of work for not much reward in my book.

May 19, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #93,416 of 150,438
Modi multi-bit is my son's
Bifrost I multi-bit will likely soon be my son's
Gungnir delta-sigma is now in my bedroom system
Gungnir multi-bit is in my living room system

I generally agree with your thoughts. I think the Bifrost I emphasizes low bass rather than mid-bass and Gungnir has more even bass response. I think Gungnir may sound "brighter" or "leaner" than Bifrost to some because of that. Gungnir multi-bit has more bass quantity (but incrementally, not in a bloated way) and better detail retrieval than the delta-sigma variant. At the other end, both versions of Gungnir have smoother, airier treble than Bifrost I multi-bit which is a bit grainier to my ears. At least, that's what I think I wrote and posted in the Gungnir thread. :)

Modi provides amazing sound, but both Bifrost and Gungnir are worthwhile steps up in my opinion.

I can't comment about any of these DACs with respect to sound stage. I use them with head phones exclusively. Maybe someday, I'll connect one or more Schiit DACs to my 2-channel system, but that's a lot of work for not much reward in my book.
I will most likely hang onto a Gungnir but there is a tube DAC out there that interests me as well so most likely I will work towards that. I will find the tubes if ever needed. :ksc75smile:

May 19, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #93,417 of 150,438
It's a long shot, but I'm getting a builder to make a DIY amp and I really liked the color Schiit uses on their silver panels. Does anyone know what color this is? What hex color would that be? I emailed schiit but haven't gotten any response. I have no experience with this kind of thing. Would love suggestions. Thanks!

probably something like 0xBAABAA or 0xCACACA

seriously, though, you can use DSLR, macro lens, x-rite color checker passport, adobe photoshop or similar to get hex value, or just guesstimate using some 10%/20%/30% etc gray samples.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #93,418 of 150,438
What would a frequency response of a loudspeaker say?

[edit to save pixels]

All the above frequency responses are exactly the same speaker on-axis measurements only with different smoothing.
It would be even more fun if you do it the way StereoPhile does it. Making on- and of- axis measurements and "doctor" their own type of frequency response plot.
"What would a frequency response of a loudspeaker say?" Not much.
But, back 25 years ago the speakers I had had bass extension down to 45hz. I had heard a lot of other speakers/systems and knew I was missing that bottom octave. I thought looking for new speakers that went down to 38hz, 35hz, 30hz would have more bass. Probably. On the other hand, I heard of pair of small Sonus Faber that only went down to 60hz that were much better than the speakers I had.
Looking at the simple 30-19,000... was just a quick and easy factoid of very limited help in putting some speakers in the "maybe list" to seek out to audition, and other speaks in the maybe not list.
I did, with great trepidation, wander into a Bose store, the brand with no specs. The thing about Bose is that they become the most successful speaker brand in America, based on gross revenue.
One of the secrets to their success: Bose did not cater to audiophiles. It was the strangest visit to an audio retailer, even. I left the Bose store having been unsuccessful in listening to any of their "better" speakers in any meaningful way, and had no sense of what their base extension might have been. Or, anything else about the sound quality.
Trust your ears.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #93,419 of 150,438
"What would a frequency response of a loudspeaker say?" Not much.
But, back 25 years ago the speakers I had had bass extension down to 45hz. I had heard a lot of other speakers/systems and knew I was missing that bottom octave. I thought looking for new speakers that went down to 38hz, 35hz, 30hz would have more bass. Probably. On the other hand, I heard of pair of small Sonus Faber that only went down to 60hz that were much better than the speakers I had.
Looking at the simple 30-19,000... was just a quick and easy factoid of very limited help in putting some speakers in the "maybe list" to seek out to audition, and other speaks in the maybe not list.
I did, with great trepidation, wander into a Bose store, the brand with no specs. The thing about Bose is that they become the most successful speaker brand in America, based on gross revenue.
One of the secrets to their success: Bose did not cater to audiophiles. It was the strangest visit to and audio retailer, even. I left the Bose store having been unsuccessful in listening to any of their "better" speakers in any meaningful way, and had no sense of what their base extension might have been. Or, anything else about the sound quality.
Trust your ears.
Well said. Sonus Faber is a favorite and will be in my final system. I tend to listen first then I might look at specs.😜 When gear is right for me I know it.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #93,420 of 150,438
One of the most surprising listening sessions I ever had was at the 2006 RMAF show. I ended up in a room run by a friend of mine listening to some boutique-loudspeakers from New York, simple 2-ways with a 12" woofer and a horn mid-tweet. They looked like nothing special and the FR they listed was unimpressive. They were, however, completely engaging. I ended up sitting there listening for far longer than I had planned. I tried to buy them, actually, but they were "prototypes" and not for sale. FR is not the most important thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back