Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #93,436 of 150,549
Yes. The price of having to wade through miles of knee-deep BS to find a few gems… ;p

Ironicaly (or not) the least amount of BS in this industry can be found at Schiit…
I only spent 40 years in the industry; I know plenty of fine, honorable, and honest people including folks at Schiit. Mind you I seldom read or listen to individual reviews unless they are from people I know well.😁

May 20, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #93,437 of 150,549
"What would a frequency response of a loudspeaker say?" Not much.
But, back 25 years ago the speakers I had had bass extension down to 45hz. I had heard a lot of other speakers/systems and knew I was missing that bottom octave. I thought looking for new speakers that went down to 38hz, 35hz, 30hz would have more bass. Probably. On the other hand, I heard of pair of small Sonus Faber that only went down to 60hz that were much better than the speakers I had.
Looking at the simple 30-19,000... was just a quick and easy factoid of very limited help in putting some speakers in the "maybe list" to seek out to audition, and other speaks in the maybe not list.
I did, with great trepidation, wander into a Bose store, the brand with no specs. The thing about Bose is that they become the most successful speaker brand in America, based on gross revenue.
One of the secrets to their success: Bose did not cater to audiophiles. It was the strangest visit to an audio retailer, even. I left the Bose store having been unsuccessful in listening to any of their "better" speakers in any meaningful way, and had no sense of what their base extension might have been. Or, anything else about the sound quality.
Trust your ears.
No Highs?
No Lows?

Must be BOSE

May 20, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #93,440 of 150,549
I gave up on reading it three paragraphs in. Horrid grammar is one thing, but the amount of factual errors just a few lines into the thing wasn’t worth forcing myself through the rest of it.
I’m assuming it’s not getting any better down the line…?
If you don't like that, read their piece on speaker polarity. Even funnier.

I used to do some editing in my youth, and some writer's pieces needed just a little touch-up. Some needed a lot of touch-up. And then there were some that I sent back unedited because I would have had to rewrite the whole thing. Kind of like this AudioSolace joke thing. :laughing:

May 20, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #93,442 of 150,549
If you don't like that, read their piece on speaker polarity. Even funnier.

I used to do some editing in my youth, and some writer's pieces needed just a little touch-up. Some needed a lot of touch-up. And then there were some that I sent back unedited because my hands would cramp while using a stone and chisel for extended periods. :laughing:
FTFY. :D

May 20, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #93,443 of 150,549
Oh please. I used these:

1653098547783.png

May 20, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #93,444 of 150,549
Oh please. I used these:

1653098547783.png
At least you are offered a variety, my spousal unit just throws a white crayon at me. After over 40 years married and a total of 43 "together", I like to think it should be "twogether" but alas, she finds me not the prince she thought she would get once she kissed me. :L3000:

May 20, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #93,445 of 150,549
At least you are offered a variety, my spousal unit just throws a white crayon at me. After over 40 years married and a total of 43 "together", I like to think it should be "twogether" but alas, she finds me not the prince she thought she would get once she kissed me. :L3000:

White often signifies purity, so there's that. And at least she's not pelting you with Duke Blue crayons. That would be bad. :smile:

May 20, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #93,446 of 150,549
White often signifies purity, so there's that. And at least she's not pelting you with Duke Blue crayons. That would be bad. :smile:
Duke blue, NC blue, practically the same thing only different.😁

Before long I hope to do a amp cabinet upgrade for Mr. Cowen. From cardboard to plywood if all goes well. 🤪

May 20, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #93,448 of 150,549
Duke blue, NC blue, practically the same thing only different.😁

Before long I hope to do a amp cabinet upgrade for Mr. Cowen. From cardboard to plywood if all goes well. 🤪
Double-wall cardboard -> triple-wall cardboard -> masonite -> OSB board -> MDF -> plywood -> hardwood.

I'm feeling pretty special right now. Almost reached the summit in one jump. :laughing:

May 20, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #93,449 of 150,549
Now that we've all clicked it, the owner is probably looking at the traffic on the article thinking "man, I really scored with this one!"
Haha. My thought exactly!!
The problem with "articles" like this one - a lot of people believe everything they read "on the internet". Sigh.

May 20, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #93,450 of 150,549
Double-wall cardboard -> triple-wall cardboard -> masonite -> OSB board -> MDF -> plywood -> hardwood.

I'm feeling pretty special right now. Almost reached the summit in one jump. :laughing:
Well one day I might need a tube or two and you are the only person in the universe who has them. I like to cast my bread upon the water.🤪

Let’s get you used to plywood before we move on to hardwood, baby steps for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back