Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #91,516 of 150,908
A snippet of 6SN7 history: Just found out they were the main tube used for flip-flops on the ENIAC's decimal ring counters and control logic. Dual triode is perfect for flip-flops :) (Got to investigate this as a side trip from reading John von Neumann's biography; I used to walk every day by an historical ENIAC display at Penn when I taught there).
Very cool indeed. Some of the more rugged 6sn7 equivalents are the most sought after. 40's and 50's US and Russian tubes can be amazing for audio.

Listening to a 2015 remaster of Sweet Jane by Velvet Underground. It was made for tubes IMHO.

• Kent No.532 Copa model
    • Japanese brand "Guyatone" export model
    • co-using with Sterling
    • used on the rehearsal scene appeared in Andy Warhol's movie Up-Tight, on EPI shows
  • Gretsch 1964 Country Gentleman
    • double cutaway body
    • later customized with Fender Stratocaster pickups (taken off from Sterling's Stratocaster) + preamp + speed controller + tremolo controller, stereo electronics
  • Gretsch 6136 White Falcon
    • double cutaway body
    • live at La Cave, late April, 1968
  • Gibson ES-335TD
    • since 3rd album
  • Gibson ES-345TD
    • stereo electronics
    • since 3rd album
  • Gibson ES-335-12
    • 12-string
    • since 3rd album
  • Fender Electric XII
    • 12-string solid body
    • since 3rd album
  • Epiphone Riviera
    • 2x mini-humbucking pickup
    • with Bigsby vibrato
    • Max's Kansas City era
  • ? acoustic guitar
    • flat-top, non-cutaway, natural finish

• Fender Deluxe Amp
    • used on the rehearsal scene appeared in Andy Warhol's movie Up-Tight
  • Silvertone 1484 Amp
    • 2x12" speaker cabinet
  • Vox AC100 The Super Beatle Amp
    • customized with mid-range booster
    • used on the 1st and 2nd albums
  • Acoustic amp
    • since 1969
  • Sunn amp
    • since 1970
  • Vox Tone Bender Fuzz
Sterling Morrison:

• Gibson 1961 SG/Les Paul Standard
    • SG-style double cutaway body
    • with Sideway vibrato
  • Kent No.532 Copa model
    • Japanese brand "Guyatone" export model
    • co-using with Lou
  • Vox The Phantom VI
  • Gretsch 1963 Tennessean
  • Fender Stratocaster
    • maple neck
  • Gibson ES-335TD
  • Fender Electric XII
    • 12-string solid body
    • since 3rd album

• Silvertone 1484 Amp
    • 2x12" speaker cabinet
  • Vox amp
    • used on the 1st and 2nd albums
  • Acoustic amp
    • since 1969
  • Sunn amp
    • since 1970
John Cale:

• Fender Precision Bass
    • ash body, 3-color sunburst finish
    • maple neck, rosewood fingerboard
    • tortoise pickguard
  • Vox The Phantom IV Bass

• Vox Westminster Bass Amp
Doug Yule:

• Gibson EB-0 Bass
    • SG-style solid body
  • Gibson EB-2 Bass
    • ES-335-style semi-hollow body
  • Gibson ES-335TD (guitar)
  • Gibson SG (guitar, post-Lou VU era)
  • Gibson Les Paul (guitar, post-Lou VU era)

• Acoustic amp
    • since 1969
  • Sunn amp
    • since 1970

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #91,517 of 150,908
Isn't that where they buried Fenster?

I think PayPal hopes you'll drink all the wine as soon as you get it and order a bunch of stuff you hadn't planned on.

No Balvenie here, but I just broke the seal on another bottle of Aberlour 16 (thanks again @Ableza). There's also a bottle of The Glenlivet 14 on deck. A recent recommendation either here on in the "What are you listening to right now" thread is Keith Jarret's Koln Concert. Wonderful recording, I wish Manfred's catalog included more music like this these days. I don't get most of the music available from ECM these days. For something completely different, I'm listening to Steve Vai's latest, Modern Primitive. I wasn't wowed when it came out, but it's hitting the spot tonight, so there you are.
I do not do Abelour lol but enjoy. Most likely I would drink Lagavulin or Glenfarclas from that region, maybe Macallan but I prefer Balvenie. A friend sent me some Glen Moray that was decent. I prefer the Glenlivet 21 year old to the 18 year old but no doubt Glenlivet is well rated. Those are my preferences but naturally YMMV. I have done scotch tasting by region and normally when you get past 18 years you pay attention to those.🤪

I will have to check out Koln Concert.

I only order that which I want to order. No doubt PayPal noticed some of my past purchases of French and Italian wine and that does not change much month to month. My wife and I enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner on occasion. Indiana is kind of strange about which states can ship directly here but I found a company that ships to my doorstep within one or two days, no charge.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #91,518 of 150,908
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #91,519 of 150,908
Well since it's gotten very tubey in here... I'm planning on grabbing a Folkvangr when it pops up as a 40th birthday present to myself (and with a new baby arriving last week, headphone amp splurge seems to make sense). Any recommendations on tubes to start grabbing now for it? I lean towards wanting warmth and low end, will be running hifiman Sundaras and HE6SE V2s through a bifrost and also a Rega P6. Like a lot of acoustic guitar, jazz, blues, etc.

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #91,520 of 150,908
I do not do Abelour lol but enjoy. Most likely I would drink Lagavulin or Glenfarclas from that region, maybe Macallan but I prefer Balvenie. A friend sent me some Glen Moray that was decent. I prefer the Glenlivet 21 year old to the 18 year old but no doubt Glenlivet is well rated. Those are my preferences but naturally YMMV. I have done scotch tasting by region and normally when you get past 18 years you pay attention to those.🤪

I will have to check out Koln Concert.

I only order that which I want to order. No doubt PayPal noticed some of my past purchases of French and Italian wine and that does not change much month to month. My wife and I enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner on occasion. Indiana is kind of strange about which states can ship directly here but I found a company that ships to my doorstep within one or two days, no charge.
I think I've tasted a Lagavulin, but not Glenfarclas, Balvenie or Glen Moray. I tried to sample a Balvenie, but the restaurant was out. Dammit. I've had a Macallan sherry cask I enjoyed. I've had both Aberlour 18 and a Glenlivet 18 but prefer the younger whiskies, to me they have more character. That said, I enjoy The Glenlivet 14 more than the 12, same with the Aberlour, I enjoy the 16 more than the 12 but less than the 18. The Glenlivet I just bought was finished in cognac casks and may not be what I was after. I like the "straight" Glenlivet for it's simple, "pure" flavor without complications. It's kind of like sipping the essence of whiskey.

I found my taste is similar with blended scotches as well. For example, Johnnie Walker red isn't for me, although some of my friends prefer it to black label. However, I'd choose black label over blue label anytime. To me, they blended all the flavor out of the blue label and I might as well drink water. Certainly less expensive.

Since we're on this part of the Sine Wave (or SIN Wave, depending on which calculator you use): TX BBQ >> NC BBQ. We were leaving a gas station this weekend and saw a calico kitten riding on its owner's shoulder as he rode away on his bicycle and one of my best friends adopted a kitten who has taken a liking to sitting on his shoulder and watching the fish in his aquarium.

672068515.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #91,521 of 150,908
In my room, somehow, magically, my Janszens go to 20Hz. Adding a sub just makes it worse!
Janszen have an electrostatic panel to 500Hz and dual 8in woofers below that. They are electrostatics in a box so that the back wave is
dampened and they don't have to be placed all that far from the wall. I think mine are about 2' from front and side walls.

No room treatment here besides a carpet on the floor and some relatively poor acoustic absorbers along the side wall at first reflection points.
Room is concrete floor, cinderblock walls and drop ceiling.

za2.1.jpg
So it's a hybrid and It's not a dipole

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #91,522 of 150,908
I have certainly heard good things about the SCM 40As @Derrick Swart

I was originally looking for some 50As about 14 years ago (40As hadn't been introduced then), but some used 100As, with mint cabinets, became available, so I bought them.
Fortunately, the room in our last house was large enough to let them really 'sing' and they sounded fantastic.

I just hope they will sound as good in the new room, which is narrower.

I have a pair of active ELAC Navis ARB 51 speakers in our living room for my secondary system.
I bought them last year and have been using them for about 8 months now.
They are fed direct from the balanced outputs of another Logitech Transporter ( no preamp) and sound superb for such a small speaker.

If I didn't already own the ATCs, I could happily live with them as my main system :beyersmile:
https://www.elac.com/powered-speakers/navis-arb-51/

They were designed by Andrew Jones who has serious pedigree as a loudspeaker engineer having been at KEF.
Edit. Good review from TAS:
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/elac-navis-arb-51-active-loudspeaker
They will sound great, just different. That mid driver is something special.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #91,523 of 150,908
I think I've tasted a Lagavulin, but not Glenfarclas, Balvenie or Glen Moray. I tried to sample a Balvenie, but the restaurant was out. Dammit. I've had a Macallan sherry cask I enjoyed. I've had both Aberlour 18 and a Glenlivet 18 but prefer the younger whiskies, to me they have more character. That said, I enjoy The Glenlivet 14 more than the 12, same with the Aberlour, I enjoy the 16 more than the 12 but less than the 18. The Glenlivet I just bought was finished in cognac casks and may not be what I was after. I like the "straight" Glenlivet for it's simple, "pure" flavor without complications. It's kind of like sipping the essence of whiskey.

I found my taste is similar with blended scotches as well. For example, Johnnie Walker red isn't for me, although some of my friends prefer it to black label. However, I'd choose black label over blue label anytime. To me, they blended all the flavor out of the blue label and I might as well drink water. Certainly less expensive.

Since we're on this part of the Sine Wave (or SIN Wave, depending on which calculator you use): TX BBQ >> NC BBQ. We were leaving a gas station this weekend and saw a calico kitten riding on its owner's shoulder as he rode away on his bicycle and one of my best friends adopted a kitten who has taken a liking to sitting on his shoulder and watching the fish in his aquarium.

672068515.jpg
I think the kitten adopted you best friend.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #91,524 of 150,908
No, No, No and No,

- A good build Quad ESL-63 goes low it scares you. Period. It begins to drop @ 40 Hz, but name me the speaker that goes lower without 10% distortion (proven by measurement). The Quad stays below 1% distortion all the way down measured @ 90 dB 1 meter from the speaker. What does the competition do? If a speaker or a sub does 20 Hz (or whatever they sell it for) it is all doctored Boom (not bass), DSP tricks, square waves and distortion. Nothing else.
- A Quad ESL is true needs (plenty of) room behind the speakers, but a dynamic is more difficult to set up. You can place and ESL very close to the side wall without a problem.
- Pets can't get to the Mylar because there is an aluminium grill and grill cloth in front of that.
- Investment is lower or the same compared to your average "high end" speaker. A complete rebuild set ESL-63 is below 3K Euro.

I know I'm a Quad freak, sorry. If you're in the Netherlands please come and visit and convince yourself.
Well I have a different experience. My friend had dog hair on his mylar and had them cleaned every now and then (expensive he said), EDM sounds fine until the low registers start. And his speakers had to be way into the room and I remember him telling me that the toe in was a headache... but afterwards gifted with a phenomenal imaging and sound stage.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #91,525 of 150,908
This Hi-Fi hobby and putting a system together has no "one box off the shelf" solutions. Different combinations of sources, dacs, preamps, amps (and tubes if your into glass), and the extremes of variables transducers throw in, and all the different cable requirements to complete the hookup and then throw in possible variations with component interactions as they affect frequency response, differences in individuals hearing acumen and personal preferences in sound.... It makes for a lot of interaction between the listener and the selection of hardware, including tubes, to achieve the sound they want. You got to get in there and get experience for yourself, get your hands dirty (and your wallet lighter).
Nicely put @FLTWS :beyersmile:

Then there is the decision to make about which format(s) to use- Streaming, High Res, Low Res, DSD, MQA, CDs, Vinyl, Cassette, 8 track (!), plus all the variations in recording quality between different album issues.

It really is a crazy hobby!

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #91,526 of 150,908
I don't know what education in Britain is coming to.........

The ORIGINAL wasn't the Python version (At Last The 1948 Show was). In THAT sketch there is only one Yorkshireman and MP wasn't in the sketch. Good though he is.

Try again :)
I know that @golfbravobravo but didn't want to come across as a smart arse :beyersmile:
I'll leave it to others on the forum to come up with the answer to your challenge.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #91,527 of 150,908
Isn't that where they buried Fenster?

I think PayPal hopes you'll drink all the wine as soon as you get it and order a bunch of stuff you hadn't planned on.

No Balvenie here, but I just broke the seal on another bottle of Aberlour 16 (thanks again @Ableza). There's also a bottle of The Glenlivet 14 on deck. A recent recommendation either here on in the "What are you listening to right now" thread is Keith Jarret's Koln Concert. Wonderful recording, I wish Manfred's catalog included more music like this these days. I don't get most of the music available from ECM these days. For something completely different, I'm listening to Steve Vai's latest, Modern Primitive. I wasn't wowed when it came out, but it's hitting the spot tonight, so there you are.
I have an unopened bottle of Abelour somewhere.
I might have a dram or two, when our building work is finally finished, to celebrate unpacking all my audio gear

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #91,528 of 150,908
I heard the 50Aa briefly at the dealer, but the bulk was a deal-killer for the boss, so we focused on the 40As. With Linn's room optimization and their new Organik DAC, the only improvement I may go for is a sub, but not something I'm hungering for.

A sub is a great snack!!

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #91,529 of 150,908
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #91,530 of 150,908
Well I have a different experience. My friend had dog hair on his mylar and had them cleaned every now and then (expensive he said), EDM sounds fine until the low registers start. And his speakers had to be way into the room and I remember him telling me that the toe in was a headache... but afterwards gifted with a phenomenal imaging and sound stage.
On a Quad ESL the only place where dust and dog hair (I also have a dog) can come is on the Mylar dust panels. As the name implies they are there to catch the dust, so it can't reach the Mylar inside that has the electrostatic coating and takes care of sound reproduction.
A Quad is the only electrostatic speaker that is 99% dust protected. Most (like ML) are 0% protected.
Only when there are smokers in the house, nicotine (that is a sticky mass) makes dust pile up to levels where the dust covers can tear. Otherwise it can last for decades without any care at all.

dust.JPG

My solution for the distance to the rear wall is placing the speakers on a movable plateau. With an 24V electric linear actuator, with remote control, I move them 50-80 cm extra away from the rear wall for playing music. So "in rest" they are 80 cm from the rear and not to dominant in the room, when playing msuic they are 130-160 cm from the rear.

plateau.jpg

The black bar from the curtain to the speaker is the electric actuator

bar.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back