Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #91,501 of 153,564
Speaking of PSVane combinations…

A very pleasant and exciting combo especially for orchestral music is a pair of 6SN7-SE in Freya's cathode follower output stage and a pair of CV181-TII in the gain stage.
Very detailed overall, highly accurate staging (quite a bit better than with LISST), and really lush yet still quite fast low end. Just what you need to tickle the most out of French horns, bowed double basses, and an organ or a piano's lower register.

But be warned:
This amount of detail might be waaaaay too much of a good thing for electronica, pop music, and most (classic) rock studio-recordings.
That said, it's pretty decent for live rock, though. The nicer ones of the Dead bootlegs really rock with this, especially Phil Lesh's melodic picking style of playing the bass translates really nicely. And well-produced live stuff like the Allman Brothers' At Fillmore East truly sings with that combo of tubes.

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #91,502 of 153,564
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #91,503 of 153,564
Well, I'm a sucker for a pretty tube. Just ordered a matched quad and matched pair of Psvane EL-34PH so I'll be ready at year end when I go for the VM-1a which uses 6 EL-34's.
I've got 2 matched quads of: Gold Lion KT-77's, and Tungsol EL-34's for my EVO 400 so I'll have 2 backups for each, and if the VM-1a comes with Mullard's I'll be one happy guy.

Description
The Reproducing Classic Power Amplifier EL34PH of the top vacuum tube brand PSVANE perfectly reproduces PHILIPS iron pedestal EL34of 50s.
As the one of the most beautiful sound in pentode amps, EL34 was introduces to the market at the very beginning by MULLARD (PHILIPS’ sub company) in 1953. In the history of tube-producing industry, EL34 was designed very well and given infinite dynamism and strength on its pressure-resistant performance. Just like we always think of Western Electric’s WE300B when refer to 300B, as to the top representative products of EL34, it undoubtedly is the iron pedestal EL34 of PHILIPS produced in 50s.
That product of PHILIPS has perfect Frequency response performance, proper sound density and wonderful music analytic ability. It definitely is the king of EL34!

1650415696714.png
1650415729474.png

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #91,504 of 153,564
Well, I'm a sucker for a pretty tube. Just ordered a matched quad and matched pair of Psvane EL-34PH so I'll be ready at year end when I go for the VM-1a which uses 6 EL-34's.
I've got 2 matched quads of: Gold Lion KT-77's, and Tungsol EL-34's for my EVO 400 so I'll have 2 backups for each, and if the VM-1a comes with Mullard's I'll be one happy guy.

Description
The Reproducing Classic Power Amplifier EL34PH of the top vacuum tube brand PSVANE perfectly reproduces PHILIPS iron pedestal EL34of 50s.
As the one of the most beautiful sound in pentode amps, EL34 was introduces to the market at the very beginning by MULLARD (PHILIPS’ sub company) in 1953. In the history of tube-producing industry, EL34 was designed very well and given infinite dynamism and strength on its pressure-resistant performance. Just like we always think of Western Electric’s WE300B when refer to 300B, as to the top representative products of EL34, it undoubtedly is the iron pedestal EL34 of PHILIPS produced in 50s.
That product of PHILIPS has perfect Frequency response performance, proper sound density and wonderful music analytic ability. It definitely is the king of EL34!

1650415696714.png 1650415729474.png
Where did you order them from?

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #91,505 of 153,564
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #91,506 of 153,564
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #91,507 of 153,564
What does the competition do? If a speaker or a sub does 20 Hz (or whatever they sell it for) it is all doctored Boom (not bass), DSP tricks, square waves and distortion.
In my room, somehow, magically, my Janszens go to 20Hz. Adding a sub just makes it worse!
Janszen have an electrostatic panel to 500Hz and dual 8in woofers below that. They are electrostatics in a box so that the back wave is
dampened and they don't have to be placed all that far from the wall. I think mine are about 2' from front and side walls.

No room treatment here besides a carpet on the floor and some relatively poor acoustic absorbers along the side wall at first reflection points.
Room is concrete floor, cinderblock walls and drop ceiling.

za2.1.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #91,508 of 153,564
Where did you order them from?
http://www.hifipartstore.com/?product=psvane-el34-ph
I used PayPal, always the safest way to handle transactions with 180 days to dispute. The one curiosity was I missed seeing any shipping related info during checkout and a Linda at hifiparts store sent me this:

Thank you for your order!
Please refer to our shipping page:

1.Please Spend USD $10 buy the Aliexpress transportation channel. The Aliexpress transportation channel is safer and faster than China Post. Most countries can be reached in 20-35 days. You can purchase directly through the following link :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003448923086.html

2.If you upgrade to DHL, the charge is about $70, you can order it following items, thanks!
http://www.hifipartstore.com/?page_id=70

Best Regards!
Linda

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #91,509 of 153,564
http://www.hifipartstore.com/?product=psvane-el34-ph
I used PayPal, always the safest way to handle transactions with 180 days to dispute. The one curiosity was I missed seeing any shipping related info during checkout and a Linda at hifiparts store sent me this:

Thank you for your order!
Please refer to our shipping page:

1.Please Spend USD $10 buy the Aliexpress transportation channel. The Aliexpress transportation channel is safer and faster than China Post. Most countries can be reached in 20-35 days. You can purchase directly through the following link :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003448923086.html

2.If you upgrade to DHL, the charge is about $70, you can order it following items, thanks!
http://www.hifipartstore.com/?page_id=70

Best Regards!
Linda
I just noticed that today on the PayPal 180 day dispute. PayPal also gave me an extra $30 off on a mixed case of wine I ordered.😜

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #91,510 of 153,564
I may have to consider 2 quads of those EL 34’s myself. Hopefully I will get some feedback before I invest.😜
I also have 2 matched Quads of Gold Lion KT-88's and 2 matched quads of ElectroHarmonix 6550's as well but won't be able to use those with the VM-1a. I found the the KT-88'/6550 types are more dynamic and punch harder especially with popular genres, but the EL-34's sound more music-like going all the way back to 1970 when I kit built a Dyna Stereo 70 and 2 Dyna MK III's. But with the EVO 400 you also get a choice of operating each tube type in triode or pentode mode.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #91,511 of 153,564
I also have 2 matched Quads of Gold Lion KT-88's and 2 matched quads of ElectroHarmonix 6550's as well but won't be able to use those with the VM-1a. I found the the KT-88'/6550 types are more dynamic and punch harder especially with popular genres, but the EL-34's sound more music-like going all the way back to 1970 when I kit built a Dyna Stereo 70 and 2 Dyna MK III's. But with the EVO 400 you also get a choice of operating each tube type in triode or pentode mode.
I am using some amazing KT-90's in a Cary amp but they are few and far between. Naturally I started on Dynaco amps myself and probably should have held onto them lol.

I am fortunate to be able to hear new amps each month for the last couple years even though I built most of them myself. Each is unique and it is always a joy to turn them on for the first time and discover slight differences so this evening is a special time for me. They also have to be pleasing to the eye as well as the ear. Time for me to enjoy, any music recommendations are certainly welcome. It is time to break out the 21 year old Balvenie and kick back and enjoy the music. This is what it is all about. :beerchug:

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #91,512 of 153,564
I have came across opinions that the active SCM40s sound better than 50As. Probably the room circumstances matter big time here.
I heard the 50Aa briefly at the dealer, but the bulk was a deal-killer for the boss, so we focused on the 40As. With Linn's room optimization and their new Organik DAC, the only improvement I may go for is a sub, but not something I'm hungering for.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #91,513 of 153,564
Miles Espanol is on order - thanks again. I also found this gem during my search. I suspect the acoustic double bass of a player like Christian McBride would sound fantastic on the Tyr ...

Five.jpeg
:)
Thanks for that oldie, but so very goodie (listening via Qobuz). For some recent primo McBride: "The Q Sessions" and "Christian McBride's New Jawn". And Kenny Garrett, also on that group, has been doing amazing work recently, check out "Sounds from the Ancestors." But as always, the best it to catch them live, which I fortunately have been able to for both McBride and Garrett in the last few years.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #91,514 of 153,564
First I would think in terms of pairs instead of quads. The left side tubes are important but you will notice the most change on the right side tubes, the gain tubes.

I like to use tubes like Raytheons on the left side since they are reasonably plentiful and not expensive, get matched pairs of course. Sylvania 6SN7W is another good one.

The right side tubes, here are my favorites.

1. Melz 1578's from 1954-1963 detailed sound, they cover all ranges well with no bass bloat. My favorite for Jazz, vocals, acoustic guitar.
2. CBS/Hytron 5692's Not as detailed as the Melz but a bit more bass slam. A great all around tube that works well with most any music.
3. RCA grey glass, WW2 vintage, 1942 or 1943 if you can find them. Exceptional warmth. Great with classic rock like Cream, Stones, even Beatles.
4. Ken-Rad black glass VT-231's. great detail with a wonderful overall SQ, a classic.

You did not mention price. If you want something less expensive for the right side, early 50's Fotons with ribbed plates. Great bass, mids and highs are good.

If you want something you can easily find, go with some of the Psvanes on the right side, I do not recall the 6sn7 types that well but they make a decent quality tube for new production.

Beware of adds like this, before you buy anything you can PM me and I will help if I can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254779019594?hash=item3b5203514a:g:aA4AAOSw53FfsVST

These are the lowest level of Melz but with the quality versions getting harder to find, folks are trying to get top dollar for them.

Here is another scary add.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234513049226?hash=item369a11268a:g:Ms0AAOSwZtZiW3V1

At the top it says "for parts or not working". No matter what these are fine tubes when you find decent ones, not holy grails to me, maybe Waterford crystal. :ksc75smile:
A snippet of 6SN7 history: Just found out they were the main tube used for flip-flops on the ENIAC's decimal ring counters and control logic. Dual triode is perfect for flip-flops :) (Got to investigate this as a side trip from reading John von Neumann's biography; I used to walk every day by an historical ENIAC display at Penn when I taught there).

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #91,515 of 153,564
Great. So now everyone knows where my tube stash is. Thanks a lot. :laughing:

1650408229190.png
Isn't that where they buried Fenster?

I just noticed that today on the PayPal 180 day dispute. PayPal also gave me an extra $30 off on a mixed case of wine I ordered.😜
I think PayPal hopes you'll drink all the wine as soon as you get it and order a bunch of stuff you hadn't planned on.

welcome. It is time to break out the 21 year old Balvenie and kick back and enjoy the music. This is what it is all about. :beerchug:
No Balvenie here, but I just broke the seal on another bottle of Aberlour 16 (thanks again @Ableza). There's also a bottle of The Glenlivet 14 on deck. A recent recommendation either here on in the "What are you listening to right now" thread is Keith Jarret's Koln Concert. Wonderful recording, I wish Manfred's catalog included more music like this these days. I don't get most of the music available from ECM these days. For something completely different, I'm listening to Steve Vai's latest, Modern Primitive. I wasn't wowed when it came out, but it's hitting the spot tonight, so there you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back