Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 18, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #91,396 of 150,454
For you fans of Sketches, please, please grab Miles Español, with Bob Belden produced with an amazing cast of musicians. Some reviewers grumble at the loss of "elegant, stately grace" of the original, but really, really, as someone from the Iberian Peninsula, our elegance and grace is never perfect (think Almodovar films), and for me the Belden collection brings out the rawness that was left in the editing room floor in Sketches, from the African and pre-Christian sounds of the Western Mediterranean. In any case, how could one skip listening to Chick Corea, Antonio Sanchez, Ron Carter, Chano Dominguez, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Jack DeJohnette, ... re-imagining Miles.
Miles Espanol is on order - thanks again. I also found this gem during my search. I suspect the acoustic double bass of a player like Christian McBride would sound fantastic on the Tyr ...

Five.jpeg
:)

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #91,399 of 150,454
WOW...! Such gorgeous work. I'd be nervous to touch it (that doesn't sound right...). 😀
Thanks, I like the look, the purple splines do not show well in the photo. Luckily I have enough Russian power tubes to finish a couple more of these with copper top plates perhaps. I hope to give my son different choices since the last one will be for him.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #91,403 of 150,454
Miles Espanol is on order - thanks again. I also found this gem during my search. I suspect the acoustic double bass of a player like Christian McBride would sound fantastic on the Tyr ...

:)

That's a great one. Here's another you might enjoy:

Enchantment.jpg

Anyone who appreciates jazz should check out KKFI.org weekdays from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm Central. Each day is a different programmer and focus. Four of the programmers are performers themselves and all are highly knowledgable. You'll hear "roots" jazz to new jazz often concentrating on the Kansas City scene. My favorite day to listen is Tuesday.

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #91,404 of 150,454
That's a great one. Here's another you might enjoy:

Enchantment.jpg

Anyone who appreciates jazz should check out KKFI.org weekdays from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm Central. Each day is a different programmer and focus. Four of the programmers are performers themselves and all are highly knowledgable. You'll hear "roots" jazz to new jazz often concentrating on the Kansas City scene. My favorite day to listen is Tuesday.
Thanks ... I have that one already. I'm acquiring Chick and Bela CDs like they are good investments ... they are, for my music library :)
I just discovered the drummer Brian Blade who is a blast - what talent! He plays on Chick's album Trilogy.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #91,407 of 150,454
Built this for Tyr...the previous IKEA shelf screamed and broke itself in half when it saw me carrying the Tyr boxes into the room...hehe.
Noice! 👍🏻
Although, I gotta say… Even though my Tyrs run surprisingly cool, the way yours are so snug in there leaves me a bit uneasy. You might want to consider leaving an inch or two left and right of each amp to allow for more air flow over the heat sink ribs.
Also, don't stack them, that vent up top is pretty crucial, too.
I suppose you could be fine leaving them like that, but if your room gets warmer than 75 degrees, I wouldn't be completely shocked if they end up tripping into thermal protection mode on you every once in a while.
Can those of you with vast tube knowledge please suggest a few reasonably priced 6NS7's to roll in a Freya+ and maybe a short comment about what changes are expected for each? I want to upgrade these JJs. THANKS!
I still know next to nothing about tubes, but I can say that you should try yourself a (matched) quad of Tung-Sol 6SN7 in your Freya. They can (or since they're Russian: "could once"?) be had for relatively cheap, and they are a massive upgrade over the JJ in pretty much every regard.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #91,408 of 150,454
Can those of you with vast tube knowledge please suggest a few reasonably priced 6NS7's to roll in a Freya+ and maybe a short comment about what changes are expected for each? I want to upgrade these JJs. THANKS!
First I would think in terms of pairs instead of quads. The left side tubes are important but you will notice the most change on the right side tubes, the gain tubes.

I like to use tubes like Raytheons on the left side since they are reasonably plentiful and not expensive, get matched pairs of course. Sylvania 6SN7W is another good one.

The right side tubes, here are my favorites.

1. Melz 1578's from 1954-1963 detailed sound, they cover all ranges well with no bass bloat. My favorite for Jazz, vocals, acoustic guitar.
2. CBS/Hytron 5692's Not as detailed as the Melz but a bit more bass slam. A great all around tube that works well with most any music.
3. RCA grey glass, WW2 vintage, 1942 or 1943 if you can find them. Exceptional warmth. Great with classic rock like Cream, Stones, even Beatles.
4. Ken-Rad black glass VT-231's. great detail with a wonderful overall SQ, a classic.

You did not mention price. If you want something less expensive for the right side, early 50's Fotons with ribbed plates. Great bass, mids and highs are good.

If you want something you can easily find, go with some of the Psvanes on the right side, I do not recall the 6sn7 types that well but they make a decent quality tube for new production.

Beware of adds like this, before you buy anything you can PM me and I will help if I can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254779019594?hash=item3b5203514a:g:aA4AAOSw53FfsVST

These are the lowest level of Melz but with the quality versions getting harder to find, folks are trying to get top dollar for them.

Here is another scary add.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234513049226?hash=item369a11268a:g:Ms0AAOSwZtZiW3V1

At the top it says "for parts or not working". No matter what these are fine tubes when you find decent ones, not holy grails to me, maybe Waterford crystal. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #91,409 of 150,454
Noice! 👍🏻
Although, I gotta say… Even though my Tyrs run surprisingly cool, the way yours are so snug in there leaves me a bit uneasy. You might want to consider leaving an inch or two left and right of each amp to allow for more air flow over the heat sink ribs.
Also, don't stack them, that vent up top is pretty crucial, too.
I suppose you could be fine leaving them like that, but if your room gets warmer than 75 degrees, I wouldn't be completely shocked if they end up tripping into thermal protection mode on you every once in a while.

I still know next to nothing about tubes, but I can say that you should try yourself a (matched) quad of Tung-Sol 6SN7 in your Freya. They can (or since they're Russian: "could once"?) be had for relatively cheap, and they are a massive upgrade over the JJ in pretty much every regard.

Yeah, I am planning to keep an eye on it...the back is fully open also, if that helps your uneasiness. =-)

Thankfully I live in a cooler area of the PNW. When running them the last several sessions open-air (before their home was built), they were cooler than my Yggy to the touch.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #91,410 of 150,454
I might raise them an inch or two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back