Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #91,381 of 150,233
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #91,382 of 150,233
View-Master, one of my very favorite items when I was a kid.
I imagine Mr. Cowen is just now discovering them so he is jealous of our childhoods.🤪

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #91,383 of 150,233
I wasn't going to say anything, but nobody else did, so...

If a rig can't evoke the smell of dust and blood, tears and longing when listening to Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain, then it's not doing the job. I'm deaf above 10k and down 20db at certain frequencies in my left ear, but I still have a heart and I can still hear a soundstage. This a!bum hits where it counts and hearing it on a good rig is a blessing worth pursuing.

I consider myself lucky that I can listen to this at home and feel sand in my nostrils from the bullring. I've heard it a couple of times where I was facing down the bull and could feel the sweat running down my back. I've never had the budget to take that experience home, but I've heard what's possible and I can be satisfied with the tradeoffs I've made.
For you fans of Sketches, please, please grab Miles Español, with Bob Belden produced with an amazing cast of musicians. Some reviewers grumble at the loss of "elegant, stately grace" of the original, but really, really, as someone from the Iberian Peninsula, our elegance and grace is never perfect (think Almodovar films), and for me the Belden collection brings out the rawness that was left in the editing room floor in Sketches, from the African and pre-Christian sounds of the Western Mediterranean. In any case, how could one skip listening to Chick Corea, Antonio Sanchez, Ron Carter, Chano Dominguez, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Jack DeJohnette, ... re-imagining Miles.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #91,385 of 150,233
I wasn't going to say anything, but nobody else did, so...

If a rig can't evoke the smell of dust and blood, tears and longing when listening to Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain, then it's not doing the job. I'm deaf above 10k and down 20db at certain frequencies in my left ear, but I still have a heart and I can still hear a soundstage. This a!bum hits where it counts and hearing it on a good rig is a blessing worth pursuing.

I consider myself lucky that I can listen to this at home and feel sand in my nostrils from the bullring. I've heard it a couple of times where I was facing down the bull and could feel the sweat running down my back. I've never had the budget to take that experience home, but I've heard what's possible and I can be satisfied with the tradeoffs I've made.

Its been a good night of music discovery.

Organ Music and more Miles Davis.

Thanks Gang!

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #91,386 of 150,233
6FC37EFD-F59F-4F7C-9B18-06AEF642170B.jpeg
The Coaster amp I am sending was set up as a test station for matching tubes so I will get a nice set soldered in place for you. Also there are some 1/4 w resistors in place of surface mount, they will not hurt a thing. :ksc75smile: I just checked it and it is working fine..
Coaster amp looks great. Are you using a PonoPlayer as source?
Thanks,
barondla

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #91,387 of 150,233
Coaster amp looks great. Are you using a PonoPlayer as source?
Thanks,
barondla
Yep, after all these years it still works fine. I figured I would need to replace the rechargeable batteries one day but not so far.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #91,389 of 150,233
Is that the correct number? BWV 781 is one of the Bach Two-Part Inventions, usually played on piano or harpsichord.
Absolutely, it's track 8 which is only 40 seconds long or so, and the note is at around 27 seconds.

There's also this one. One of my go-to discs for someone's first listen to the big-rig, at which point they are usually certain the tube amp on the top of the rack is just for show and I have a mega-watt solid state amp hidden somewhere. :laughing:

1650238533748.png

I haven't seen that one before, I'll have to give it a try!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #91,390 of 150,233
9184BB1A-2829-403D-83FD-270CA63491AC.jpeg0DFDCD3E-7DC9-4291-B99F-D2CD6715F615.jpeg
I still have my Pono Player, too. I rarely use it but it works when I want it to.
I liked it because of the balanced outputs. Every now and then I want to test something in my shop and need a small quality source so I get the Pono out. My son gave me this one and it was loaded with works by Neil Young as well as other music Pono sold at the time. He also gave me an OPPO HA-2 portable amp that I still use in the event I play Tidal from my phone and want to use high impedance headphones. :ksc75smile: I am going to supply some tobacco tins with the one I am giving away, I am still reducing the amount of items in my shop, I will keep the eight ball version but anyone can build one with proper instruction.

Listening to a Chesky recording of John Hammond doing a Tom Waits song "Get Behind the Mule". With the Pono and Senn earbuds the sound is decent.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #91,391 of 150,233
For you fans of Sketches, please, please grab Miles Español, with Bob Belden produced with an amazing cast of musicians. Some reviewers grumble at the loss of "elegant, stately grace" of the original, but really, really, as someone from the Iberian Peninsula, our elegance and grace is never perfect (think Almodovar films), and for me the Belden collection brings out the rawness that was left in the editing room floor in Sketches, from the African and pre-Christian sounds of the Western Mediterranean. In any case, how could one skip listening to Chick Corea, Antonio Sanchez, Ron Carter, Chano Dominguez, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Jack DeJohnette, ... re-imagining Miles.
Thanks for this idea ... right up my current alley.

I enjoy the music of The Flecktones - very inventive and improvisational, especially between Victor and Bela. IMO their live albums are better than the studio albums ... Live at the Quick and Live Art. One thing I don't care for is their use of the drumitar instead of a real drum kit ... it makes the sound more "muddy." I do enjoy the musicality of Future Man (he's Victor Wooten's brother). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Man

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #91,392 of 150,233
FedEx has suspended service in Europe at least until April 22. My Tyrs are already stuck for a week now at the FedEx terminal in Belgium. They can't give a due date for delivery yet.

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #91,394 of 150,233
FedEx has suspended service in Europe at least until April 22. My Tyrs are already stuck for a week now at the FedEx terminal in Belgium. They can't give a due date for delivery yet.

That really sucks. So close and yet so far away. :frowning2:

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #91,395 of 150,233
A loaner I am sending to a friend in North Carolina. Spalted maple and purpleheart hardwoods. F2CAD7AF-6D1A-4017-92C3-8C0D8E0D5A1A.jpegA2E34421-0CD3-434C-984E-3432D680BD96.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back