Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #91,291 of 150,589
So this is what retirement is all about then? Sitting around watching glue dry? 😂😂
Well I did shower and get dressed eventually too. :ksc75smile: I need to get an amp ready to ship to someone in NC (not you) and then on to Virginia.

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #91,293 of 150,589
Wow. Did I misread that one! My brain immediately processed it as Top Of The Line. Not Tom's OTL.
Though I consider the Incubus in the Top Of The Line category, so....

Audiogal needs more coffee this morning.
Do not feel bad, m'lady. For example, most here think that "ORT" stands for OldRoadToad when oddly enough it stands for OutputResistanceTube or OutlandishlyRetardedToad or...Just make one up! And never forget that a sense of humor is the sixth sense that makes sense on days like these.

And of course, an ORT by any other abbreviation is still a toad. Caffeine sounds like the potion to get you in motion. That coupled with the sacred sixth sense will serve you well, young lady.

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #91,296 of 150,589
Looking at the B stock page and I'm confused. There's some Ragnarok 2's on there that say they are closeout, but they are more expensive than the normal Ragnarok 2's what gives?
Obviously, buy a new one and save $100. :)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #91,297 of 150,589
To all of you here who own Tyrs:
If you haven't played Béla Fleck's Flight of The Cosmic Hippo (on the album of the same name) yet, I don't know what you're doing with your lives.
Yeah, that is Victor Wooten. He's great. If you like Victor's bass playing, also check out Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke :)

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #91,299 of 150,589
Looking at the B stock page and I'm confused. There's some Ragnarok 2's on there that say they are closeout, but they are more expensive than the normal Ragnarok 2's what gives?
Looks like the new 'fully loaded' version comes with an ES9028 DAC and the ones listed in B-stock have multibit? Just a guess on my part...

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #91,302 of 150,589
Do not feel bad, m'lady. For example, most here think that "ORT" stands for OldRoadToad when oddly enough it stands for OutputResistanceTube or OutlandishlyRetardedToad or...Just make one up! And never forget that a sense of humor is the sixth sense that makes sense on days like these.

And of course, an ORT by any other abbreviation is still a toad. Caffeine sounds like the potion to get you in motion. That coupled with the sacred sixth sense will serve you well, young lady.

Dang. I thought ORT stood for Old Refurbished Tube. Was thinking you might be this guy: 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1146421297...aultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2563228.c101113.m2108

1650129001762.png

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #91,303 of 150,589
Since folks are talking about test tracks they use for speakers:
Below are the quality tracks I used back before I started building my own speakers; this was 2 decades back. I made a CD to take around to shops & usually left the test CD so the sales people could listen for themselves at their leisure, and hopefully understand my critique of what I listened to. By the time I had figured out which speakers I wanted to buy, we had to spend $9k to replace a roof, which meant the $3-4k I budgeted for speakers was gone. Somehow, I ended up on DIYaudio where dark forces tempted me to 'roll my own'. Over time, I MAY have spent as much building speakers as I would have buying them, but I had WAY more fun! I have given up building now, as 1) our house is overflowing with speakers & SheWhoMustBeObeyed has declared 'enough'; 2) our daughter & other interested parties will not accept any more; 3) after 2 decades of retirement, I no longer have the energy to do more.

Besides the tracks below, I also played a couple items from Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall jazz concert. Even a poor system can sound listenable when fed great material, but a truly great system can take a less than wonderful old recording and retrieve enough to showcase a once in a lifetime event that happened before I was born.

1) Jennifer Higdon: Concerto for Orchestra, movement V
2) Sharon Isbin, et al: Journey to the Amazon: Seis por Derecho (Antonio Lauro)
3) Nickel Creek: Ode to a Butterfly
4) Richard Elliot: Crush
5) Mickey Hart: Temple Caves
6) Gottschalk: Le Banjo
7) Woody Phillips: Habanera
8) Dixie Chicks: There's Your Trouble
9) Lara Fabian: Urgent Desire
10) Alison Krauss & Union Station: Crazy Faith
11) Diana Krall: Let's Fall in Love
12) Dave Brubeck Quartet: Blue Ronda a la Turk
13) Airto Moreira & the Gods of Jazz: Nevermind
14) The Hot Club of San Francisco: Gong Oh
15) Ska Cubano: Cumbia En Do Menor
16) Fleetwood Mac: Gypsy

Cheers, Jim

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #91,304 of 150,589
Below are the quality tracks I used back before I started building my own speakers; this was 2 decades back. I made a CD to take around to shops & usually left the test CD so the sales people could listen for themselves at their leisure, and hopefully understand my critique of what I listened to. By the time I had figured out which speakers I wanted to buy, we had to spend $9k to replace a roof, which meant the $3-4k I budgeted for speakers was gone. Somehow, I ended up on DIYaudio where dark forces tempted me to 'roll my own'. Over time, I MAY have spent as much building speakers as I would have buying them, but I had WAY more fun! I have given up building now, as 1) our house is overflowing with speakers & SheWhoMustBeObeyed has declared 'enough'; 2) our daughter & other interested parties will not accept any more; 3) after 2 decades of retirement, I no longer have the energy to do more.

Besides the tracks below, I also played a couple items from Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall jazz concert. Even a poor system can sound listenable when fed great material, but a truly great system can take a less than wonderful old recording and retrieve enough to showcase a once in a lifetime event that happened before I was born.

Cheers, Jim
Pics or it didn't happen. :laughing:

Seriously, any photos of your creation(s)? Would love to see them.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #91,305 of 150,589

Cheers, Jim
I am impressed that you built your own speakers! I spent some time working in speaker design with a good friend years ago but my shop is not set up for larger pieces at this time. My current project in spalted maple with a bit of mineral spirits applied to show off the color.😉CBC05671-8BFA-4F65-8394-62258FE67BB7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back