Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #88,651 of 150,691
2022, Chapter 3
Turd Polishing?

Ah, come on, you’ve heard the saying: “Ya cain’t polish a turd!”

Graphic. Visceral. Precise.

We really hope you enjoy it!
Amazing. Priced at what? Are you a communist?

He is single handedly destroying price maximization assumption our economists rely on at school.

The reason I want a 'balanced' phono stage is so I can hide my turntable. (eg long cable runs) But I found a B and o in good shape is perfect.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #88,654 of 150,691
An Asgard and Modius in one box doesn't really make sense. Modius' whole point is that it's fully balanced, but Asgard is single-ended.

What would make sense would be an Asgard with a built-in single-ended DAC.

…which already exists: Just configure an Asgard with an ES card and you're set. And it's 50 bucks below your proposed 399$, too! :)
It exists, but lack:
2V out from dac-coax-optical

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #88,655 of 150,691
Feb 23, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #88,658 of 150,691
It exists, but lack:
2V out from dac-coax-optical
Then you could buy an Asgard and a Modi 3E, for 20$ below your proposed 399$.

Granted, it's two boxes of differing dimensions, which would admittedly offend even my own sensibilities quite a bit.
But what you want is in essence a completely new product: It would require a larger footprint, something closer to Freya, to make the room needed for the additional ports in the back, and because it would require quite a lot more additional internals than just an added DAC chip (i.e. everything that sits between the different inputs that you want to see and the DAC chip itself, as the incoming signals need to be prepped for the DAC chip depending on the signal type you feed into the thing - which is likely the reason why the extension card Schiit sells only offers USB and nothing else), and once you're done, that new product would end up covering a comparably small niche of the headphone amp market.
A product like that would make slightly more sense if you made it fully balanced, but even single-ended I doubt that it could be done anywhere near your 400$ mark. Considering the larger metal and much longer bill of parts, it would probably end up somewhere between 600 to 750, especially when fully balanced. But even single-ended I doubt it could be done for under 500$.

I completely get your point, you're not wrong that a product like that doesn't really exist. At least not in Schiit's lineup. But at least to me, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a business perspective. Especially when you can already get what is essentially the same thing for relatively little money by just buying an Asgard and a Modi 3E.

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #88,659 of 150,691
The Mani was my first phono preamp and simply the best-sounding at its price point. There is now some competition with the iFi Zen Phono, but the Mani 2 sounds like a significant improvement and I will be ordering one right away!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #88,662 of 150,691
Yay! I'm glad it was Mani 2 and not Tyr, I don't want to drop $3k right now :xf_eek:

Mani 2 ordered! It does suck I have to chose a higher shipping price option because FedEx Home Delivery SUCKS here! EVERY time I've used them they will say that no one was home for delivery (I WFH) 3 days in a row then I have to call and it magically shows up the next day.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #88,664 of 150,691
Mani 2 ordered! It does suck I have to chose a higher shipping price option because FedEx Home Delivery SUCKS here! EVERY time I've used them they will say that no one was home for delivery (I WFH) 3 days in a row then I have to call and it magically shows up the next day.

+1

I hate Fed Ex too...! :angry:

Also, I don't even spin LPs any longer, but the Mani 2 sounds cool enough to make me want to order one. Jason's psychology is definitely working. I wonder if he codes video game updates in his spare time...? Another addiction like Schiit. :confused:

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #88,665 of 150,691
It does suck I have to chose a higher shipping price option because FedEx Home Delivery SUCKS here! EVERY time I've used them they will say that no one was home for delivery (I WFH) 3 days in a row then I have to call and it magically shows up the next day.
You and I must be serviced by the same FedEx hub…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back