Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #88,292 of 155,096
What if the innovative thing was something old that is not normally used in home audio today?
I say: What if they thought of making a frequency divider before the amplifier? With the experience you've gained with equalizers, you'll likely find a cheap way to actively split frequencies (usually three ways, but could be two).
Then each pathway would have to be amplified. But we wouldn't have the passive dividers on the power line.
The complete system is more expensive. Certain. But the result, shouldn't it be better?

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #88,293 of 155,096
What if the innovative thing was something old that is not normally used in home audio today?
I say: What if they thought of making a frequency divider before the amplifier? With the experience you've gained with equalizers, you'll likely find a cheap way to actively split frequencies (usually three ways, but could be two).
Then each pathway would have to be amplified. But we wouldn't have the passive dividers on the power line.
The complete system is more expensive. Certain. But the result, shouldn't it be better?
Do you mean Active Crossovers?

Andrew

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #88,296 of 155,096
Today I read the most sad audio news I have read in years. No let me correct that, that I have ever seen.

Imagine you are 91 years, 4 generations, active in the audio business and 49 years top dealer of a specific brand.
Now you receive a letter from the audio brand that you are forced to relocate your shops to a more "commonly visited" area to up general sales and help in the brand general visibility. The brand points you to a shopping mall and an A location in the centre of town and includes to revenue calculation for you.
You say you have no interest to change neither of both locations because of reasons of cost, known location for known customers, quiet (for good listening). good parking facilities etc. You also have no need to be in a shopping mall that requires 7 days opening per week.

The audio brand persists and ends the dealership one sided as the dealer refuses to go forward as requested.
The owners of the shops decide to close both shops as the largest amount of the business over the past decade was in that brand and they see no further future without it

Thank you very much Bang & Olufsen

The whole story in Dutch

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #88,297 of 155,096
I would say that wasn't a good way to run a business. I mean the dealer. If most of your revenue comes from one brand, that brand owns you. When all your eggs are in one basket you're one incident away from ruin. B&O are obviously a-holes but the dealer should have protected themselves by not relying solely on B&O for their livelihood.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #88,299 of 155,096
Today I read the most sad audio news I have read in years. No let me correct that, that I have ever seen.

Imagine you are 91 years, 4 generations, active in the audio business and 49 years top dealer of a specific brand.
Now you receive a letter from the audio brand that you are forced to relocate your shops to a more "commonly visited" area to up general sales and help in the brand general visibility. The brand points you to a shopping mall and an A location in the centre of town and includes to revenue calculation for you.
You say you have no interest to change neither of both locations because of reasons of cost, known location for known customers, quiet (for good listening). good parking facilities etc. You also have no need to be in a shopping mall that requires 7 days opening per week.

The audio brand persists and ends the dealership one sided as the dealer refuses to go forward as requested.
The owners of the shops decide to close both shops as the largest amount of the business over the past decade was in that brand and they see no further future without it

Thank you very much Bang & Olufsen

The whole story in Dutch
In the early 90s I built a new house in the SE of England. We wired the whole house for B&O systems, installed the first few rooms great and then B&O changed their lineup so that all new (the only ones available) were incompatible with their previous system. They were totally uninterested in finding a way through this mess, apparently neither "customer" nor "service" are words that exist in Danish.

They deserve to die a withering death in retail and elsewhere.....

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #88,300 of 155,096
I would say that wasn't a good way to run a business. I mean the dealer. If most of your revenue comes from one brand, that brand owns you. When all your eggs are in one basket you're one incident away from ruin. B&O are obviously a-holes but the dealer should have protected themselves by not relying solely on B&O for their livelihood.
I've been in (not audio) business myself.
Do you know how hard it is to stay on the best side of the 80-20 rule, where 80 percent of your revenue comes from 20% of your customers/suppliers?
In most businesses very, very, very hard.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #88,301 of 155,096
You could have bought a Lexus with a Mark Levinson system installed. I think they might just make some decent gear.
Nope... if you dismantled the system you would find $3-5 speakers and $8 worth the crossover parts. I was a rep. for Rockford Fosgate and their brand systems for Nissan were all made with non Rockford parts not made by Rockford. This was confirmed by corporate. The truth is all these "big name" OEM systems have more to do with consulting than they have to do with engineering or manufacturing.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #88,302 of 155,096
In car audio active crossovers are a requirement... just a tiny room with tons of glass and off axis speaker placement. EQ and time alignment are required as well.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #88,303 of 155,096
Do you know how hard it is to stay on the best side of the 80-20 rule, where 80 percent of your revenue comes from 20% of your customers/suppliers?
Especially when your customers and your suppliers hold more power than you do.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #88,304 of 155,096
Especially when your customers and your suppliers hold more power than you do.
Don't forget online retail... it is a very tough world for retail right now.

We are on a forum by a manufacturer that offers world beating value by having a direct sales model.

I loved being in electronics retail, but I don't know how I could survive now if I did it again.

I do try to support local retail when possible.

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #88,305 of 155,096

Retail is something I could never do so I can't even begin to imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back