Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 27, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #87,961 of 151,480
Good music is out there, but it's no longer as simple as radio-n-records. Music is much more diversified. No longer concentrated. More divided. Each niche catered too. So, it does take more effort to find what you like. Personally, I'm buying (and streaming) as many CD's as I've ever bought. Discovering to me, many talented new artists. Some old, but newly found, and some recent finds, that are just as good as what came before. While not to everyone's tastes, here's just a few examples of what got me excited over the past year.

Enjoy?

The HU

The Pretty Reckless

Go Go Penguin

Billie Eilish

I thought The Hu was interesting. I'll have to listen to more when my wife isn't around.

If you like GoGo Penguin, give Mammal Hands a try:

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #87,962 of 151,480
And old guys stand a better chance of getting chicks 20 years younger than they are to ride along if they drive a Ferrari vs a Miata. :smirk:
At my age, 20 years younger means a boatload of emotional baggage and some kids still at home, so I'd rather just drive a Camry and be invisible. 40 years younger? I'll take the Ferrari. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #87,963 of 151,480
Good music is out there, but it's no longer as simple as radio-n-records. Music is much more diversified. No longer concentrated. More divided. Each niche catered too. So, it does take more effort to find what you like. Personally, I'm buying (and streaming) as many CD's as I've ever bought. Discovering to me, many talented new artists. Some old, but newly found, and some recent finds, that are just as good as what came before. While not to everyone's tastes, here's just a few examples of what got me excited over the past year.

Enjoy?

The HU

The Pretty Reckless

Go Go Penguin

Billie Eilish

The first three I kinda sorta enjoyed. :beerchug: Billie Eyelash I can not abide. She's a bit too emo for such as I. I hate emo. :L3000:
Thank you, sir!

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #87,964 of 151,480
As said by every generation to the next. My grandmother used to tell my dad The Beatles sounded like monkeys screeching in the trees. And the lyrics were ridiculous. And so the wheel turns.
But when I say it, it is truth. :L3000: I was a bouncer when the first cRap "songs" came on the scene. I lived through Disco and to be honest, not a single disco song ever made me disgusted. cRap and its variants just pisses me off no end. I find it insulting but I also found Beatnik poetry insulting, LOL! And do not get me started on hippies. Cartman's got nothing on me, LOL!

As for the Beatles lyrics being "ridiculous". Sorry. The finest vocalist of all time, Francis Albert Sinatra said George Harrison's "Something" was "...the greatest love song of the past fifty years". Harrison was a Beatle. "Let It Be" is not ridiculous. Neither is "All You Need Is Love". One wonders what your grandmother would think of "W.A.P." by that twerqing twatling whose nom de poop I shall not mention in the same paragraph as Sinatra and the Beatles. And no. I am not mad at you nor am I belittling you. I am rebutting your statement. You can do likewise if you wish. :beerchug: But Sinatra and the Beatles are as good as their respective genres get. In centuries to come, their music will still be played with not just reverence but joy. cRap? That audience will have killed on another.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #87,965 of 151,480
I was listening to the album "Let It Be" as I was writing that post. My point was music as art is in the eye or in this case ear of the beholder. And sorry if this comes as a shock, but your opinion is no more important or valid than the kid listening to cRap as you say. I actually agree with you on some of your assessments but my opinion isn't important either.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #87,966 of 151,480
Miatas are cool. Any one that whines they are a "girl's car", I would say to them, "Yeah... A SMART girl's car!" People used to do that to me on my Sportster. I said the same thing. Miatas are cool. They are fun. They pay homage to a time long gone that lives on in the memories of those who actually lived that period and also in those who had those memories passed on to them by family and friends. You know...Loved ones. Sharing a passion for, as the Beach Boys would say, Fun! Fun! Fun!

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #87,967 of 151,480
I was listening to the album "Let It Be" as I was writing that post. My point was music as art is in the eye or in this case ear of the beholder. And sorry if this comes as a shock, but your opinion is no more important or valid than the kid listening to cRap as you say. I actually agree with you on some of your assessments but my opinion isn't important either.
Opinions need not be considered "important", especially so when they a valid. I think mine are. This is a truth that cannot be denied. Your thoughts are important to you and maybe others. I do not mind them but I will comment as I see fit and rightly so. And as quoted above, you have done the same.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #87,968 of 151,480
Of course. And when we can do so civily, society thrives. If only politicians could disagree and still be respectful something could actually get done. Enjoy the music my friend.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #87,969 of 151,480
Concerts and dance clubs are stupid loud so that you can FEEL the music. Part of the live show experience.

The loudest show I ever worked was a Black Sabbath show. I wore 30db attenuation foam ear plugs and a pair of 20db earmuff hearing protectors over top. It was still too loud. First time I fully appreciated bone conduction.

For years I've carried earplugs with me all the time, wearing them to all music events I attend unless it's one of those rare occasions these days when I'm mixing sound. Which I only do for bands that can play at a sane volume.

Yep, drum shields go a very long way to keep the stage volume down. In small venues it can make a big difference to the whole experience of the show. And on large shows, the lower stage volume makes for a better mix, less drum sound getting into microphones for other instruments and the vocals. In-ear monitoring rather than monitor wedges on the floor in front of the performers also drop the stage volume considerably.

While I share some of my spawn's tastes in music (and they like a lot of mine), music changes with the generation. My father was a classical/jazz/big band person and hated the stuff I listened to - from the Beatles onward, yet I enjoyed what he liked. My mother liked some of the mellower stuff, though the first time I heard her sing along with Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young" I about fell out of my chair. Mom also liked a lot of early folk which we both enjoyed. Music moves with the times. Some's good. Some's really good. A lot of it sucks. The broader your taste range, the less that sucks, though that still leaves a LOT of wretched dreck to be avoided.

Changing topics... After waiting for this morning's 17F below zero temperature to warm up to 15F above, we made it to the slopes. Yep, it was cold out there. But if you move fast enough...

Resized_20220127_150658.jpg

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #87,971 of 151,480
Sorry to do this ... oh man. Really this gonna be bad.

here goes ...

What do people think about using the Rag for headphones, 1 vs 2. I'm just curious what the diffeences are, not whether one is 'better' unless one is 'better!!' ... I have a pair of headphones that is hard to drive and a combo speaker headphone thing might be the ticket. I have a jot 2 that is pretty damn good.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #87,972 of 151,480

here goes ...

What do people think about using the Rag for headphones, 1 vs 2. I'm just curious what the diffeences are, not whether one is 'better' unless one is 'better!!' ... I have a pair of headphones that is hard to drive and a combo speaker headphone thing might be the ticket. I have a jot 2 that is pretty damn good.
I dunno...It might make you a Schiit-Rag-Head? :L3000:

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #87,973 of 151,480

here goes ...

I replaced my Freya S with a Rag. I use it mostly as a preamp, but the reason I changed to the Rag was so I could use it on my head phones. Before with the Freya I had to use the single ended output to a Jotuhiem. When I change to the Rag the sound was so much better, everyone who heard it agreed. FYI I am using Senneizer HD 800

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #87,974 of 151,480
Schiit Jotunheim Balanced Desktop Headamp / Preamp
Lyr 3 Hybrid Headamp / DAC / Phono Review

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0119/Schiit_Jotunheim_Lyr3_Review.htm
Here is someone who wants to be able to say all the 'cool' words but doesn't have a clue what most of it means. I guess I need to buy a new tube for my Lyr since I haven't been using a 6N8S NOS vacuum tube in it. It was good to hear that he enjoyed the Lyr more than all the others though. But then we knew it was better than all those others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back