Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #87,931 of 150,446
I haven't been to hundreds of concerts. And I didn't do any measurements. But the loudest concert I have been to must have been Nine Inch Nails.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #87,932 of 150,446
That's the place the drug dealers take you to never be seen again.
il_570xN.2588241216_sphx.jpg
I think I will a bit circumspect about this. Somebody I know used to be a real estate appraiser for a mortgage bank. He told me about driving out to a remote desert location in California in a "census defined" location to check on a property. Typical houses were... some distance apart. He got mean stares from everyone he saw out there, and later found out it was meth-lab central for biker gangs.
Better out there than on my block.
Course than could happen in any state, even ones without deserts.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #87,933 of 150,446
So many 'live' performances these days are nothing but dance numbers with some piped in music.
In today's poopular music, it would seem that foul mouthed, poorly scripted Beatnik "poetry" is what cRap and hippity-hop amount to. Hick-hop is "new" country. If singers can not sing why then are they called "singers"? I shall weep at the end of talent the likes of Joni Mitchell and Johnny Mathis. If all I wanted was to hear some talent less slob recite bad poetry piped through "Auto-Tune", I would record my self on cassette doing just that and have a (1950s ALERT!) "Sing along with Bitch" festival in my car or truck.

Some time back I read where a "song" that was "composed" by perhaps "Be-Once" or another current twerqing "sireen" (Homage to "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou"), had four or five other writers and "producers" credited for what amounted to a single line of "lyrics". If true, and no, I am not going to spend even a moment of what is left of my life looking that one up, how ridiculous can it get?

Compare the vast majority of modern vocals to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", written by the singular genius of Freddie Mercury and produced by Roy Thomas Baker.

The day the music died continues. Think about it.

It is early and I am going to listen to George Harrison's Magnum Opus, "All Things Must Pass"...Again. And then I am going to work. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #87,934 of 150,446
Good music is out there, but it's no longer as simple as radio-n-records. Music is much more diversified. No longer concentrated. More divided. Each niche catered too. So, it does take more effort to find what you like. Personally, I'm buying (and streaming) as many CD's as I've ever bought. Discovering to me, many talented new artists. Some old, but newly found, and some recent finds, that are just as good as what came before. While not to everyone's tastes, here's just a few examples of what got me excited over the past year.

Enjoy?

The HU

The Pretty Reckless

Go Go Penguin

Billie Eilish

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #87,935 of 150,446
I'm utterly surprises about this "spitting contest" about the loudest concert.

The only "loud" concert I ever attended was The Isley Brothers in Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam. I stayed for 2 seconds and demanded my money back.
Even in those few seconds my wife had here hearing damaged that affects here to this very day.

Loud is a means of camouflage of bad musicians or a technician with head up his arse.
Never went to any concert any more after that.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #87,936 of 150,446
In today's poopular music, it would seem that foul mouthed, poorly scripted Beatnik "poetry" is what cRap and hippity-hop amount to. Hick-hop is "new" country. If singers can not sing why then are they called "singers"? I shall weep at the end of talent the likes of Joni Mitchell and Johnny Mathis. If all I wanted was to hear some talent less slob recite bad poetry piped through "Auto-Tune", I would record my self on cassette doing just that and have a (1950s ALERT!) "Sing along with Bitch" festival in my car or truck.

Some time back I read where a "song" that was "composed" by perhaps "Be-Once" or another current twerqing "sireen" (Homage to "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou"), had four or five other writers and "producers" credited for what amounted to a single line of "lyrics". If true, and no, I am not going to spend even a moment of what is left of my life looking that one up, how ridiculous can it get?

Compare the vast majority of modern vocals to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", written by the singular genius of Freddie Mercury and produced by Roy Thomas Baker.

The day the music died continues. Think about it.

It is early and I am going to listen to George Harrison's Magnum Opus, "All Things Must Pass"...Again. And then I am going to work. :beerchug:

As said by every generation to the next. My grandmother used to tell my dad The Beatles sounded like monkeys screeching in the trees. And the lyrics were ridiculous. And so the wheel turns.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #87,937 of 150,446
Any Brits on here that can recommend good hifi or record shops in the greater London area? I'll have 2 days off there next week.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #87,939 of 150,446
For the same reason some people buy Ferraris and others buy Miatas; the former are in the market for a statement, the latter for enjoyment.
Both are valid lifestyles, but only one of them I have room for in my life.
Except that the Ferrari has 700 hp and the Miata 200 so it isn't just looks that you get in the more expensive car.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #87,940 of 150,446
Not sure who the hell wants that over priced Mac gear when they can buy new, better Schiit gear for way less.
Because I'd love to own a 275 and set of Quads? Why do I need any other reason? It is not always about cost.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #87,941 of 150,446
Shoot, I'm not moving to CA to live in a red zone (if you're curious, see www.cleardarksky.com and look a light pollution map, zoom in and increase the opacity of the overlay).
LOL, I live right in the middle of that LA/OC red blob in a place called Downey. Sometimes on an especially clear night I can make out one of the dippers and a few other stars. A lot of times I think I saw a star and it's a plane coming into LAX or LB. On a clear night I can see the line of planes coming into LAX for miles, 5 or 6 planes.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #87,942 of 150,446
Except that the Ferrari has 700 hp and the Miata 200 so it isn't just looks that you get in the more expensive car.
Right. You also get a much higher price. Ridiculous insurance costs. Repair bills through the roof and only at very select places. Terrible gas mileage. But all the envious looks in the world.

IMO, the people that drive the exotics do so because they can and they want to flaunt their wealth.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #87,943 of 150,446
And old guys stand a better chance of getting chicks 20 years younger than they are to ride along if they drive a Ferrari vs a Miata. :smirk:

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #87,944 of 150,446
And old guys stand a better chance of getting chicks 20 years younger than they are to ride along if they drive a Ferrari vs a Miata. :smirk:
Don't you mean that "chicks" 20-years younger are likely to BE the ones driving the Miata?

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #87,945 of 150,446
It’s not loud just to be loud. It’s loud so you can feel the music.

I use to go to underground raves and they would advertise 100,000 watts of bass! Because it makes your entire body resonate. Which is all the more enjoyable under certain influences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back