Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #87,901 of 151,179
I saw Metallica followed by Guns ‘n Roses on their ‘92 tour. They played at a stadium in San Diego. My buddy and I sat in the upper deck and I was blown away by Metallica. They played for over 2 hours! We hung out for the 90 minute intermission to watch girls flash the stadium cameras. We ended up leaving half-way through the GnR set due to exhaustion and just being overwhelmed by the volume. Even from the far side of the parking lot we could still make out the lyrics. My ears were ringing for the following 2 days.

I caught that tour at the Silverdome with Faith No More opening. I still had my tickets from the previous GnR show that got canceled because Axl....was being Axl. So they let me trade in my tickets and gave me choice of location for new tickets. I pointed to the front row and that was that. Best 8 hour concert ever. E V E R. Thank you Silverdome ticket office people :heart:

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #87,903 of 151,179
Hey all, a quick update, or Business Philosophy 574: Build Great Things and Always Have a Backup Plan

In my last update, I did the unthinkable. I said, "You know, things seem to be getting better on the emergencies and craziness side of things." And of course, like washing all your cars because the weather looks good, or like kicking Mr. Murphy in the figurative nuts, that changed everything.

About a week ago, Alex said, "Hmm, our purchasing partners say we may have...additional parts problems in 2022."

"Continuing parts problems I expect," I told him.

"No, they, ah, mean, new parts problems."

Alex's hesitancy finally sunk in. That meant something was bad. Some really important part was going to be taking a powder for a while. "So what is it?"

Alex sighed and named three things we really didn't want to lose. I'm redacting the actual parts, partially to keep anyone here from freaking out, and partially because warning was of a "this could be a problem," variety, rather than a "this is a problem" variety, and, finally, because today it doesn't look like it might be as bad as anyone thought. But that is also preliminary information, and things can change. So we'll see.

But the three things that Alex named were bad. Realllllllly bad.

But....the warning was kinda vague, and didn't tell me which of the three things were going to be most problematic. So I had a choice: I could sit back and wait for more info, or design one product that would eliminate one key shortage, and therefore preserve its use on literally a dozen other products.

Of course, I started designing the new product immediately. It couldn't hurt. But it was a decent amount of work, in the middle of other stupid things happening, like our old 3D printer breaking (right after we got the new one in, of course, but that doesn't help as much as it should, as the new one is about 1100 miles away now), and other product development follies.

Now, the design is done, and the prototype boards are sent out for production, and now we hear the shortages may not be a problem. But does it feel good to have a "Plan B?" Absolutely.

Especially when it still may be a problem.

In other news, we're finalizing the processes needed to get some consistent silver products on a more continuous basis. This is grained, anodized silver, not a spray finish. That's the good news. The bad news is that the price of silver will need to go up. I expect we'll be adjusting the pricing late this week or early next. It'll be probably a 5-10% bump, with the higher percentage being on the less expensive products. Sorry about that, and we will work on alternatives in the future.

Hopefully I'll be doing a new product chapter soon. Everything is just slow. But we'll get there!

Thanks again for your patience.

All the best,
Jason
Make sure to do a listening comparison between original design and Plan B design. Who knows, you may have stumbled into something better?

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #87,904 of 151,179
I caught that tour at the Silverdome with Faith No More opening. I still had my tickets from the previous GnR show that got canceled because Axl....was being Axl. So they let me trade in my tickets and gave me choice of location for new tickets. I pointed to the front row and that was that. Best 8 hour concert ever. E V E R. Thank you Silverdome ticket office people :heart:
I would have loved seeing GNR back in the day. I finally saw GNR in 2011 in Seattle, though to be fair at that point the band could have more fittingly been called "Guns N Roses Cover Band That Just Happens To Have Axl On Vocals." Either way, the crowd was energetic and wild at first, but the band played for so long (it was something like a 3-4 hr show), late in the show the response started becoming muted. Axl said "What, are you falling asleep out there?!" And then proceeded to launch into the final 90 minutes....

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #87,905 of 151,179
Hey all, a quick update, or Business Philosophy 574: Build Great Things and Always Have a Backup Plan

In my last update, I did the unthinkable. I said, "You know, things seem to be getting better on the emergencies and craziness side of things." And of course, like washing all your cars because the weather looks good, or like kicking Mr. Murphy in the figurative nuts, that changed everything.

About a week ago, Alex said, "Hmm, our purchasing partners say we may have...additional parts problems in 2022."

"Continuing parts problems I expect," I told him.

"No, they, ah, mean, new parts problems."

Alex's hesitancy finally sunk in. That meant something was bad. Some really important part was going to be taking a powder for a while. "So what is it?"

Alex sighed and named three things we really didn't want to lose. I'm redacting the actual parts, partially to keep anyone here from freaking out, and partially because warning was of a "this could be a problem," variety, rather than a "this is a problem" variety, and, finally, because today it doesn't look like it might be as bad as anyone thought. But that is also preliminary information, and things can change. So we'll see.

But the three things that Alex named were bad. Realllllllly bad.

But....the warning was kinda vague, and didn't tell me which of the three things were going to be most problematic. So I had a choice: I could sit back and wait for more info, or design one product that would eliminate one key shortage, and therefore preserve its use on literally a dozen other products.

Of course, I started designing the new product immediately. It couldn't hurt. But it was a decent amount of work, in the middle of other stupid things happening, like our old 3D printer breaking (right after we got the new one in, of course, but that doesn't help as much as it should, as the new one is about 1100 miles away now), and other product development follies.

Now, the design is done, and the prototype boards are sent out for production, and now we hear the shortages may not be a problem. But does it feel good to have a "Plan B?" Absolutely.

Especially when it still may be a problem.

In other news, we're finalizing the processes needed to get some consistent silver products on a more continuous basis. This is grained, anodized silver, not a spray finish. That's the good news. The bad news is that the price of silver will need to go up. I expect we'll be adjusting the pricing late this week or early next. It'll be probably a 5-10% bump, with the higher percentage being on the less expensive products. Sorry about that, and we will work on alternatives in the future.

Hopefully I'll be doing a new product chapter soon. Everything is just slow. But we'll get there!

Thanks again for your patience.

All the best,
Jason
Been checking the Loki Max page daily. Do you have any estimates of when a silver L.M. will become available?

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #87,907 of 151,179
I would have loved seeing GNR back in the day. I finally saw GNR in 2011 in Seattle, though to be fair at that point the band could have more fittingly been called "Guns N Roses Cover Band That Just Happens To Have Axl On Vocals." Either way, the crowd was energetic and wild at first, but the band played for so long (it was something like a 3-4 hr show), late in the show the response started becoming muted. Axl said "What, are you falling asleep out there?!" And then proceeded to launch into the final 90 minutes....

I saw them again in 2015 or 16 (don't remember) as a proper band and they still rock. Go see them if they tour, totally worth it.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #87,908 of 151,179
I took two big Schiits this week. First I ordered a black Freya S earlier this week which is on the way to me now. At last I will have remote control over my living room sound. Then late last night, even though the site said 6-8 weeks, I also ordered a silver Jotunheim with an ESS DAC card. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when I got a shipping confirmation on the Jot this morning since I wasn't expecting it for another 2 months. Woo hoo!

Even though I have a Jot already, I'm ordering another one for my sister-in-law for her birthday which is in early April. She likes audiophile stuff but with a young kid and only my brother working, their expenses make it hard for her to justify those kinds of purchases. I'm glad I'll have it in time for her birthday.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #87,909 of 151,179
I took two big Schiits this week. First I ordered a black Freya S earlier this week which is on the way to me now. At last I will have remote control over my living room sound. Then late last night, even though the site said 6-8 weeks, I also ordered a silver Jotunheim with an ESS DAC card. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when I got a shipping confirmation on the Jot this morning since I wasn't expecting it for another 2 months. Woo hoo!

Even though I have a Jot already, I'm ordering another one for my sister-in-law for her birthday which is in early April. She likes audiophile stuff but with a young kid and only my brother working, their expenses make it hard for her to justify those kinds of purchases. I'm glad I'll have it in time for her birthday.
Nice. I've got a Lokius on the way. It should be here today or tomorrow. :)

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #87,912 of 151,179
The loudest concert I ever experienced was The Ramones at One Step Beyond in Santa Clara CA. People were literally running from the building at one point.
Jumping on the "loudest ever" band wagon: Danny Gatton at Pat and Pete's Bon Ton Room, 1994. His sax player made my ears bleed. I got my 88 Elmira St. poster signed by Danny after the show. I was really sad when he killed himself a few months later.

I've been looking all over for karaoke releases of Guns 'N Roses' albums...

After two weeks listening to unfamiliar review head phones, I got to listen to my familiar favorites for a couple of hours last night. Ahh... My silver Schiit looks so good, I'm glad @Jason Stoddard and company have made progress toward another source. Though I had an idea: one of the more successful US manufacturers of telescope mounts offered one of their mounts anodized blue. It looked really sharp, was unique in the market thirty years ago (I think it would be today, too) and I wish I could order a blue mount today.

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #87,915 of 151,179
Milli Vanilli was the first concert I ever attended (11 years old). Ended up getting a portion of the cost of the tickets, t-shirt and a CD refunded as part of the class action lawsuit. I like to think my taste in music has improved slightly since then.
I have never understood how the guys at Milli Vanilli got the brunt of the impact and shame - very unfair. Number one, is not like it was an unheard of practice and number two, they just happened to get caught, in a relatively silly manner...

The shame should be on the producer, Frank Farian, who got off really easy. Not only that , that was his modus operandi. Remember Boney-M? He was behind that and of all the people - now, I am speaking from memory, might be wrong, please correct me - on stage with Boney-M, I believe only one of the girls sang in the records and live. In fact the voice of the only guy ( and I remember loving that guy - blanking out on this name - don't want to consult Wikipedia right now) on record was Farian himself! :D

Many acts from the disco era followed a similar pattern - disco was a style where the producer and her/his team were the actual artists behind more than one act, very often. That was well known... so all the shame and opprobrium directed at Milli was misdirected - the industry was caught - not them!

ah well

I did not like their music either... just think it was unfair to them

hammers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back