Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #87,856 of 151,046
Jan 24, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #87,857 of 151,046
Follow up thoughts for yesterday.

Have not used the turntable going back to before my A fib adventure. Firing it up was a good feeling. Having a lot of "new" music created a nice adventure. We needed something; post safely visiting our very cute grand daughter (they now have covid), grand son due in March - worried about them, winter storms, shortages (and all that jazz), and wintertime melancholy. Wife commented that spinning the tunes had lifted her spirits.

Conformation that all of this audio stuff is about the music [ :wink: ORT ].

It is obviously going to take a while to work through the stack of albums. I will not waste time here with that. If I discover an extreme jewel, I will share.

Thanks for being ...
r2

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #87,858 of 151,046
Side 4 #8
Mick Jagger, harmonica
Wow
The Blues Brothers cover that song by Willie Mabon "I Don't Know."
The old albums have got me thinking about what "real" music is ... thanks for the ideas :)

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #87,859 of 151,046
Thoughts #2.
The Pioneer stack used contains some somewhat rare (at least in the US) stuff.
The main amp is an Exclusive M3, Japan version, 100v powered via a beefy converter, The pre amp is a SPEC 3 and the smaller amp is a M73 also 100v but converted (I use it as a headphone amp with high ohm Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser phones). The tuner and EQ are standard 9500 series items. The Bifrost is multibit. Turntable is a PL 630 with auto return. All in a Pioneer rack. Spent a bunch of time finding and having the pieces serviced. Not modern day quality, however it sounds good to me :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #87,860 of 151,046
The old albums have got me thinking about what "real" music is ...
All music is real; it's the audience that can be fake.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #87,861 of 151,046
re: Pioneer equipment from the 70's. I used to own that preamp and amp but branded "Setton" as that was a brand used by the Japanese company who made it for Pioneer. Purchased at the Navy base in Yokoska in 1977. It was decent for its day.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #87,862 of 151,046
re: Pioneer equipment from the 70's. I used to own that preamp and amp but branded "Setton" as that was a brand used by the Japanese company who made it for Pioneer. Purchased at the Navy base in Yokoska in 1977. It was decent for its day.

Building A33, A34? I was there in 1965. Great deals on reel to reel decks at the time, unfortunately they were well out of my price range at the time.

JC

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #87,863 of 151,046
Building A33, A34? I was there in 1965. Great deals on reel to reel decks at the time, unfortunately they were well out of my price range at the time.

JC
To be honest I don't remember, but after we pulled in five of us hit the Navy Exchange and dumped a bunch of money on stereo gear that we had shipped back to California so it was waiting for us when we got home. I bought the Setton gear and a Garrard turntable. Visited again around Christmas in '81 and I picked up a Nakamichi Dragon cassette recorder and this new fangled thing from Sony called a CD player...

Jan 24, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #87,864 of 151,046
To be honest I don't remember, but after we pulled in five of us hit the Navy Exchange and dumped a bunch of money on stereo gear that we had shipped back to California so it was waiting for us when we got home. I bought the Setton gear and a Garrard turntable. Visited again around Christmas in '81 and I picked up a Nakamichi Dragon cassette recorder and this new fangled thing from Sony called a CD player...
A roommate back in '74 just returned from Vietnam. School on the VA. He shipped back a system, Marantz if I remember correctly, with large lattice grill speakers. The speakers included an interior mod. Leafy green/brown sound absorbing material 👿

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #87,869 of 151,046
Warning: this is a Schiit / audio related post

If I want to run Freya S (for speakers) and Rag 2 (for headphones) both fed from Yggy, do you think I should try an XLR splitter out of Yggy feeding each amp?

Other options would be Yggy XLR -> Freya S -> Rag

Or Yggy XLR -> Rag 2 and Yggy SE -> Freya S

Obviously I can try it each way and see what sounds best, just wanted to hear what you guys would do.
I use a splitter to take my Yggdrasil to both my Freya S and Jotunheim, and that works well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back