Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #85,771 of 150,826
The sensitivity of the Audez'e LCD-4 headphones is 97dB, just FYI.
As mentioned: Talking speakers, not headphones.
With headphones you can tell me anything, I have no clue.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #85,773 of 150,826
The speaker design is called the Super-7. It began as a high-end design by Danny Richie of GR Research. They were going to be sold by Serenity Acoustics until the company that made the planar drivers got sold. The Neo-3 tweeters dried up real quick and Serenity went out of business. Years later Danny designed a custom version of the Neo-3. Due to interest he worked with a cabinet maker to make flat pack kits available. I already had the lower sub cabinets so I only needed the top-half baffles. They’re 96dB sensitive and an easy 8 ohm load.

Here‘s an old thread where Danny discusses the design.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109918.msg1133425#msg1133425

Sadly, the Neo-10 drivers dried up shortly after I got my kit. There’s only like maybe a dozen of these speakers out there. You won’t find any pics from Danny in that thread because he had to change his computer setup at some point and it broke all of his pic links.

Here’s another thread of Super-7 owners discussing and tweaking the crossover. Lots of pics In this thread.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141060.0

Danny also made an open baffle line source using the same planar drivers. The original was ridiculously expensive due to a machined aluminum cabinet. A couple more pairs we’re made using a special composite material that was much cheaper than aluminum yet the kit still cost over 12k to produce! The drivers alone cost around $5k! These we’re even more sensitive at 98dB.

New Record Day got to experience them along with a simple 2-way using just one planar tweeter and one planar mid.

I'd love to hear those speakers. Super-7s or the Line Arrays. A shame Christie Digital bought BG Radia, and froze all of their DIY drivers. Hopefully, Danny will get the Neo 10 panels into production again.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #85,774 of 150,826
@bcowen made those Tyr's (?) for Schiit. They're just a cardboard mock-up! :wink:
1638984979262.png

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #85,776 of 150,826
My word! No wonder you hide your Gear behind a Spoiler! That's (almost) insane. I like it...! :grin:
There are a couple sets of VU meters in that gear as well, a man after my own heart. :ksc75smile:

I try to help Mr. Cowen as well but it takes a while to wade through the colloquialisms like "catty-cornered" "good ole boy", and "that dog don't hunt." By the time I figure out what he is saying I have lost interest. He seems to call people "bubba" a lot too. :k701smile:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #85,777 of 150,826
Virtual SchiitrMeet December
All Wrapped Up!

Hey guys,

I'll be coming to you from the Schiitr in California for the end-of-the-year wrap-up. This is where I drink, wonder why I feel like I feel like I've been working like crazy when we didn't really introduce very many new products, drink some more, and blather about a future that is more speculative than usual, given our supply chain dystopia, and maybe even give you a complete list of what we think we're doing next year (but really won't, because parts/metal/transformers/boards/whatever).

Nah. I won't be spilling all the beans, sorry. However, we will be giving away one (or two, if necessary for stereo) of every product we make next year, to one lucky individual. Just like last year. So there is that!

Questions? You know the drill...send them to denise@schiit.com

Virtual SchiitrMeet December
Thursday, December 16, 4PM PST (2PM CST)

Please join us on Facebook or YouTube:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason
Can't wait, but isn't 4PM PST = 6PM CST?

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #85,778 of 150,826
So the numbers are just a myth.
Rule number one: Never trust numbers provided with speakers. They are 99% hugely exaggerated or just marketing blah.
Rule number two: Always use rule number one.
Talking speakers, not headphones.
I trust Danny’s numbers. He pretty much tells it like it is. His speaker designs have won numerous awards and his kits are some of the best bargains out there. He can be a little eccentric on some things but he knows good measurements and good sound. If you check out the GR Research you tube channel he shows a lot of design flaws in major brand name speakers.

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #85,779 of 150,826
I trust Danny’s numbers. He pretty much tells it like it is. His speaker designs have won numerous awards and his kits are some of the best bargains out there. He can be a little eccentric on some things but he knows good measurements and good sound. If you check out the GR Research you tube channel he shows a lot of design flaws in major brand name speakers.
Hoping to try his upgrade kit for the Klipsch RP-600M soon (got on sale recently).

If his crossover helps to improve the resolution in these little guys, I'll be real satisfied with the money spent.

Of course, I'm currently front loading them with an Yggy LiM so, I'm really trying to squeeze what I can out of them :p

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #85,780 of 150,826

I've watched quite a few of Danny's crossover reveal videos. Pretty shocking, considering the cost of some of the speakers he's dissected. Plus, it doesn't help that Danny can be a bit blunt too, with his assessments. But, I do agree with him concerning parts quality. I'm a big believer on rebuilding speakers with better parts, especially capacitors. I like boutique capacitors! :blush:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #85,781 of 150,826
I've watched quite a few of Danny's crossover reveal videos. Pretty shocking, considering the cost of some of the speakers he's dissected. Plus, it doesn't help that Danny can be a bit blunt too, with his assessments. But, I do agree with him concerning parts quality. I'm a big believer on rebuilding speakers with better parts, especially capacitors. I like boutique capacitors! :blush:
Someday I will have to show you some of my collection of caps.😉6267E4B2-C1A6-4B21-A49E-31C7417C250C.jpeg

Right now Finnegan and I are boxing up some gift tubes for friends.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #85,782 of 150,826
Dec 8, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #85,783 of 150,826
Someday I will have to show you some of my collection of caps.😉6267E4B2-C1A6-4B21-A49E-31C7417C250C.jpeg

Right now Finnegan and I are boxing up some gift tubes for friends.

No GE's? Not for @bcowen? :grinning:

(He's going to drive to VA one day, and hunt me down...! I won't mind, as long as it isn't death by NC BBQ)...! :grimacing:

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #85,784 of 150,826
I wish I were on your "friends list"...
Well my enemies list is very small, what is the best 6sn7 or equivalent you own at this point in time?

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #85,785 of 150,826
No GE's? Not for @bcowen? :grinning:

(He's going to drive to VA one day, and hunt me down...! I won't mind, as long as it isn't death by NC BBQ)...! :grimacing:
I am only sending Mr. Cowen Russian tubes, a 1950's winged C and one of the earliest versions of a Melz 1578 that I know to exist. The man deserves a lot more from me so every now and then I make a cardboard amp for him or paint some tiger stripes on some pine. Nothing but the best for him lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back