Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 8, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #85,801 of 151,630
Being born and raised in the northern New Jersey/NYC area, I married my wife from South Georgia 50 years ago this month. It has been an interesting [and steep] learning curve for both of us. The high point of one event was incorrigible me asking her dad "What do you call a gal from south Georgia that marries a guy from NYC"? Answer: Social Climber. We are still married, despite the fact that she does not hear a lot of difference between music played on my 2 channel system and music she listens to on her tablet.
Happy Anniversary and I have a feeling she has been a good influence. :) You have been nothing but gracious in our dealings and I hope you enjoy the tubes. Now my wife can hear a difference in sound but does not go out of her way to listen to much of my gear unless I have speakers going and she stops in to hear a particular song.

Tom

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #85,802 of 151,630
Dec 8, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #85,803 of 151,630
I've watched quite a few of Danny's crossover reveal videos. Pretty shocking, considering the cost of some of the speakers he's dissected. Plus, it doesn't help that Danny can be a bit blunt too, with his assessments. But, I do agree with him concerning parts quality. I'm a big believer on rebuilding speakers with better parts, especially capacitors. I like boutique capacitors! :blush:
That used to be a large part of our business when we had the shop. My brother used to be able to make any speaker sound better by memory.

I don't miss having to find resisters by looking at the colour bands...

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #85,804 of 151,630
Great review - outta my price range, but great writing. We seem to have some similar tastes in reference material.
Thanks for your kind words.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #85,805 of 151,630
I'd love to hear those speakers. Super-7s or the Line Arrays. A shame Christie Digital bought BG Radia, and froze all of their DIY drivers. Hopefully, Danny will get the Neo 10 panels into production again.

Well, here’s a taste.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #85,806 of 151,630
Ah so.

I had understood that to be an act of kindness and conscience, to gift you with something that would fit in with your existing decor.

We need speak no more of this. I had some cardboard furniture at an earlier stage of life, so I understand. We appreciate you for who you are and what you bring to the conversation. (Or, for some of us, to the table as BBQ for lunch.)
LOL! You are too kind.

But cardboard furniture? Please don't tell @Paladin79 or the next thing he'll gift me will be a couch (with some assembly required). :laughing:

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #85,807 of 151,630
I plan to let him see the real thing one day but for now, baby steps.😜 @AudioGal on the other hand deserved some of my more serious work. One must keep the world spinning in greased grooves.🤣
@FLTWS already sent me a picture, so no hurry. I just can't decide if he was feeling sorry for me or gloating. 🤔

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #85,808 of 151,630
You mean the "Uber Schiit Stack"? I was just pipe dreaming, LOL.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #85,809 of 151,630
There are a couple sets of VU meters in that gear as well, a man after my own heart. :ksc75smile:

I try to help Mr. Cowen as well but it takes a while to wade through the colloquialisms like "catty-cornered" "good ole boy", and "that dog don't hunt." By the time I figure out what he is saying I have lost interest. He seems to call people "bubba" a lot too. :k701smile:
Perhaps this will help: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

http://www.vaiden.net/convert.html

Sincerely,
Mr. Bubba

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #85,810 of 151,630
Being born and raised in the northern New Jersey/NYC area, I married my wife from South Georgia 50 years ago this month. It has been an interesting [and steep] learning curve for both of us. The high point of one event was incorrigible me asking her dad "What do you call a gal from south Georgia that marries a guy from NYC"? Answer: Social Climber. We are still married, despite the fact that she does not hear a lot of difference between music played on my 2 channel system and music she listens to on her tablet.
50 years? Wow. Happy anniversary, Sam!

I'm coming up on my 25th. Seems like it was just 75 years ago. :laughing:

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #85,811 of 151,630
Boy this thread moves fast. Was wondering if anyone could give some insight to my question :)

The Loki Max looks very interesting. I've always used software EQ, but have been very interested in exploring analog EQ.

Assuming you don't need surgical precision, is there any reason to use analog EQ over digital EQ? For example, does analog EQ handle clipping better if there's too much gain in a specific frequency?
I enjoy turning knobs to adjust tone. My current set up has me feeling around for the pots behind an IKEA cabinet. If it was on my desk, I'd fiddle with it much more. I suspect the Loki Max's remote control will make such (awesomely) foolish manipulations easier to do.

If find software EQ significantly more versatile on my listening book. Foobar's Meir Crossfeed DSP (digital sound processing) reduces the jarring L-channel... R-channel playback I experience on some CD music files. Otherwise, I leave it alone.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #85,812 of 151,630
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #85,813 of 151,630
Congratulations! That's awesome!

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #85,814 of 151,630
My whole point was don’t assume planers are always inefficient. Maybe they are for headphones but not for all speakers.
Many decades ago, early in college, I had a pair of these (B20 I believe) which sounded amazing until I overdrove them playing the Doors really loud and the voice coil started dragging against the magnets. I can't quite recall which amp I was using, I think a dual-mono config with a solid-state kit that wasn't that powerful (20W p/c?).

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #85,815 of 151,630
I married my wife from South Georgia 50 years ago this month. It has been an interesting [and steep] learning curve for both of us. The high point of one event was incorrigible me asking her dad "What do you call a gal from south Georgia that marries a guy from NYC"? Answer: Social Climber. We are still married, despite the fact that she does not hear a lot of difference between music played on my 2 channel system and music she listens to on her tablet.
A few years behind you two, viruses and other biohazards willing we'll get to the big 50 May 2024. She is a lot more musical, much better ear than me. I choose the crazy music, she judges it and the gear. Somehow, her taste in gear auditions goes for the fanciest gear on offer, even though she totally doesn't care about the technical details, she cares about how it sounds, not about how it's built. That's my excuse for our extravagant speaker systems :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back