Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #85,816 of 153,535
Dec 9, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #85,817 of 153,535
So the numbers are just a myth.
Rule number one: Never trust numbers provided with speakers. They are 99% hugely exaggerated or just marketing blah.
Rule number two: Always use rule number one.
Talking speakers, not headphones.
With a lot of power sensitivity is not an issue at all. I am a 'lot of headroom' kind of guy and look forward to the Tyr as an option to the way cheaper and powerful PAS 2002 PCA.
As mentioned: Talking speakers, not headphones.
With headphones you can tell me anything, I have no clue.

Those things you can put around your head on your ears :wink:

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #85,821 of 153,535
Very nice. An even tonal balance with good transient speed and detail. Definitely a speaker I could live with. Curious too, what was the track being played? An artist I'll need to check out.

Thanks! :grinning:

It’s a hidden track at the end of the first album (the yellow one) by Days of the New. This album is their best in my opinion but their 2nd one is ok too.

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #85,822 of 153,535
I bet your wife feels the same! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Wife? Wives...!

m5.jpg

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #85,823 of 153,535
It’s a hidden track at the end of the first album (the yellow one) by Days of the New. This album is their best in my opinion but their 2nd one is ok too.
Shelf in the Room album, it had been ages since I listened to it but I have it on my main system now.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #85,824 of 153,535
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #85,827 of 153,535
Loki Max update. After finally getting time for some extended listening with the Loki Max in my office system, I have a few quick impressions to share.

First off, for those worried that "adding a component" to your system would somehow change or compromise the sound quality, in my system the Loki Max was completely transparent. I have it connected via balanced ICs between my Yggdrasil and my amp. With all bands set to zero, I used the bypass function to test if sending the signal through the electronics changed it in some way, I heard everything as clear and perfect in bypass as with the controls in. It was undetectably transparent.

Physically the thing is surprisingly heavy. I know this is due to all the inductors and the power supply, but it feels like a brick especially for its size. Also because of all the inductors and transformer (i.e. heavy metal) inside, the device runs warm. Not hot, certainly not too hot to touch, but much warmer than I expected. Warmer than the Yggdrasil beneath it in my setup.

The adjustments are subtle in a very welcome way unless you crank them to the maximums and then they approach too much. I found the the effects in all bands at three to five clicks cut or two to three clicks boost were perfect and very pleasing to me. I was able to significantly improve the Voce headphones (to my tastes) with some small boosts in the low end and small cuts on the high end. The Infinity RSII loudspeakers required a different set of cuts and boosts, so I was very happy to have three memory presets available. One for flat, two for speakers, three for headphones. Nice.

For those who may be used to a continuous EQ or tone controls, using one that switches relays through stepped adjustments takes some getting used to. While the motorized faders are moving, the adjustment is not audible until it stops. So for example, the Max comes with a factory preset of all-flat in preset one giving you a nice default starting point (the faders have no detent at zero, making a return to zero without looking difficult.) So, if I am testing a setup and wish to return to flat, I press the preset one button on the very nice remote control and the knobs start spinning. I hear no changes while the knobs rotate until they stop. I am used to a continuous EQ which would let me hear the sweep. A minor thing, but for oldies like me who have experience in studios or with live sound mixing, it's different.

Sound wise I return to the transparent comment I made earlier. This is what you pay for in a machine like this, and why in my opinion the Loki Max is an absolute bargain. Because of the stepped attenuators and the massive power supply and the true L-C envelope filters and attention to engineering details, the noise floor is not detectable. I haven't scoped it but I think the ratings given on the Schiit website are conservative. And it may be the placebo effect because I am not immune to that (like all humans) but I believe the overall presentation (sound stage) and sound quality of my system has improved, even with the settings to flat, and especially when I power up the loudspeakers in my office and listen through air. Something has changed, it is more than subtle, and I like it.

I am still listening and liking what I hear. Nice work, Schiit.

-edit- I also created a thread on the equipment forums and cross-posted the above impressions in case anyone else wants to chime in so we can keep review comments in one place:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-loki-max-impressions.961063/

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #85,828 of 153,535
Loki Max update. After finally getting time for some extended listening with the Loki Max in my office system, I have a few quick impressions to share.

<< snip snip >>
Regardless of where we might happen to be on the sine curve of allowable sub-topics, a quick diversion for some thoughtful commentary and review of Schiit gear is always appreciated.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #85,829 of 153,535
Regarding Loki Max..... Please help a senile, old engineer figure something out. I can easily count 68 relays on the circuit board, but I cannot find the last four. Are they a different size or shape? I do not believe that they could be mounted on the back side of the board because of the case size. Please help.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #85,830 of 153,535
Regarding Loki Max..... Please help a senile, old engineer figure something out. I can easily count 68 relays on the circuit board, but I cannot find the last four. Are they a different size or shape? I do not believe that they could be mounted on the back side of the board because of the case size. Please help.
perhaps the early prototype (the one with green soldermask) that Jason had shown a while back had more relays. Only 68 relays on the production PCB pic. Jason did also mention that the relay drive strategy / relay ladder implementation was simplified by Dave (engineer who wrote the firmware) somewhere during the design process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back