Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #85,292 of 151,265
@Jason Stoddard.
Loki Max is 100% not for me, but what a drive you and your team have to pull off such a stunning piece of technical audio gear.
Passion, knowledge and massive determination is the only basis to achieve something like this. Truly impressed.
Eat your heart out top high end $$$$ companies. Look, Listen and Learn.

Looking forward to Tyr.
If it's not for you but you still feel the need to splurge on it you can sponsor me one.
I'll be happy to listen to it on your behalf.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #85,293 of 151,265
loki%20max%20insitu%201920.jpg

I wonder what that hole in the top of Tyr is for… 🤔

Could be that there's another heat sink in the middle of it for a bunch more transistors? If so, considering that these two are stacked, and that the heat would have to be able to rise out of there, maybe the hole goes all the way through the bottom? Stack five or more of them for a home theater system and you get quite the updraft. Install a little turbine on top and you could keep your phone charged… 🤣
Stacking them like that would mess up my perception of the SQ believing that they would sound different from each other.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #85,294 of 151,265
My new car. :)
[rant]

I am absolutely not a Ford guy (or Chevrolet, or Mopar, or anything else, for that matter. I drive a 2015 Nissan Note SR, for crying out loud. Not because it's cheap, but because it's roughly the right "amount of car" I need), but the Mach E has me at least somewhat curious, if just for not "trying too hard" to be an electric car.
I've been shopping around for an electric daily driver for close to half a decade now, but I'm always put off by the amount of tech they shove in your face. (Not that this would be limited to electric cars these days, of course…)

This isn't a barb towards Tesla specifically, by the way. Rivian seems to go down a similarly misguided route. As does pretty much every single other legacy car maker. Even Mazda seems to be developing a bit of amnesia regarding their core design principle of "jinba ittai" in recent years. I've been holding out for an electric MX-5 as a weekend driver, but the direction Mazda has been taking lately has me seriously worried.

Obviously, an electric car can, by its very definition, not be "analog" or "mechanical." OF COURSE it will be a computer on wheels. I'm fine with that. What I don't want is having to touch or even see that stuff. Give me the minimum amount of features a car needs, made out of nice materials, put together well, and controlled by a bare minimum number of thoughtfully placed physical knobs and levers. The only screen I want to see and touch is one that can host CarPlay and not much else without a phone connected to it. Because why should I be forced to pay extra for a so-called "infotainment hub" that's going to feel sluggish and visually outdated in a quarter of the car's useful lifespan if I already carry a much more capable and much better designed version of the same thing in my pocket anyway?!

People making cars are reasonably smart, and they probably know their buyers. The fact that none of them even attempts to make such a car tells me that I'm an absolute outlier and that buyers want their toys. I have no doubt that for every single buyer like me, there's a hundred people like Doug DeMuro, out-moaning each other every time they have to adjust a seat or AC vent manually or are asked to open a trunk lid with their own hands.

And that's fine.
As I already wrote a few weeks ago: We get exactly the products we collectively deserve.

But personally, I still struggle a bit believing that a low-tech electric car isn't viable. I can't imagine that manually operated AC vents, a manually adjustable steering rack, manually adjustable seats, manual trunk and frunk lids, and all the other things that these little toy motors and circuit boards get shoved into these days, wouldn't be more lightweight and cheaper to make than all the motors and wiring that you have to cart around with you every time you go to pick up some groceries.
(I just can't stop rolling my eyes at supercar makers, proudly bragging about the half a pound of "excess weight" they shaved off the car by choosing thinner glass here and some space-grade titanium spark plug sockets there. And then a few sentences further down you get to read about the electrically adjustable seats and the 25 bazillion mood light LEDs they've plastered all over the interior and headliner. Because the pure joy of navigating a hand-crafted sports car along a mountain pass isn't enough of a mood, I need rainbow-colored LEDs for that. F#c% focus groups and marketing. Seriously.)

And why can't I buy a premium car with cloth seats anymore? Five months out of the year, I have to deal with temperatures in the upper 90s and 100s. So for me, choosing a car either means the joy of having the AC blast sub-arctic gale storms at your face in a futile attempt to compensate for the river of sweat that's running down your spine to collect in your plumbers' décolleté, or buying a cheap and plastic-ridden econobox to be able to have cloth seats. (Hence the above-mentioned Nissan Note.)

What I'm looking for is a low-tech, "analog"-ish electric car that offers just the basics, but does so IN-CUH-REDIBLY well. I don't understand why there doesn't seem to be a single car maker putting in the effort to put out at least a single model that's incredibly well made and purposefully kept to an absolute minimum in tech; electric powertrain or otherwise. Think Schiit, but cars. If that ever happens, I'll be among the first in line to buy one.

But I'm not holding my breath…

I know. I'm a princess.
I'll try to get over it. ;p

[/rant]

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #85,295 of 151,265
Is a byproduct of a psychological need. As in, the need to feel accepted, liked, "worthy", etc. And it's a pretty powerful need based on the evolution of humans which dictates that our chances of survival are greater if we're part of a community.
I am reminded of this:
'Please Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...'

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #85,296 of 151,265
I am reminded of this:
'Please Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...'

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Which reminds me of a joke.

A kid wins the lottery and goes to his parents.

Kid: dad, what have you always wanted?

Dad: a Mercedes

Kid: mom, what have you always wanted?

Mom: for your father to not have a Mercedes

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #85,298 of 151,265
[rant]

I am absolutely not a Ford guy (or Chevrolet, or Mopar, or anything else, for that matter. I drive a 2015 Nissan Note SR, for crying out loud. Not because it's cheap, but because it's roughly the right "amount of car" I need), but the Mach E has me at least somewhat curious, if just for not "trying too hard" to be an electric car.
I've been shopping around for an electric daily driver for close to half a decade now, but I'm always put off by the amount of tech they shove in your face. (Not that this would be limited to electric cars these days, of course…)

This isn't a barb towards Tesla specifically, by the way. Rivian seems to go down a similarly misguided route. As does pretty much every single other legacy car maker. Even Mazda seems to be developing a bit of amnesia regarding their core design principle of "jinba ittai" in recent years. I've been holding out for an electric MX-5 as a weekend driver, but the direction Mazda has been taking lately has me seriously worried.

Obviously, an electric car can, by its very definition, not be "analog" or "mechanical." OF COURSE it will be a computer on wheels. I'm fine with that. What I don't want is having to touch or even see that stuff. Give me the minimum amount of features a car needs, made out of nice materials, put together well, and controlled by a bare minimum number of thoughtfully placed physical knobs and levers. The only screen I want to see and touch is one that can host CarPlay and not much else without a phone connected to it. Because why should I be forced to pay extra for a so-called "infotainment hub" that's going to feel sluggish and visually outdated in a quarter of the car's useful lifespan if I already carry a much more capable and much better designed version of the same thing in my pocket anyway?!

People making cars are reasonably smart, and they probably know their buyers. The fact that none of them even attempts to make such a car tells me that I'm an absolute outlier and that buyers want their toys. I have no doubt that for every single buyer like me, there's a hundred people like Doug DeMuro, out-moaning each other every time they have to adjust a seat or AC vent manually or are asked to open a trunk lid with their own hands.

And that's fine.
As I already wrote a few weeks ago: We get exactly the products we collectively deserve.

But personally, I still struggle a bit believing that a low-tech electric car isn't viable. I can't imagine that manually operated AC vents, a manually adjustable steering rack, manually adjustable seats, manual trunk and frunk lids, and all the other things that these little toy motors and circuit boards get shoved into these days, wouldn't be more lightweight and cheaper to make than all the motors and wiring that you have to cart around with you every time you go to pick up some groceries.
(I just can't stop rolling my eyes at supercar makers, proudly bragging about the half a pound of "excess weight" they shaved off the car by choosing thinner glass here and some space-grade titanium spark plug sockets there. And then a few sentences further down you get to read about the electrically adjustable seats and the 25 bazillion mood light LEDs they've plastered all over the interior and headliner. Because the pure joy of navigating a hand-crafted sports car along a mountain pass isn't enough of a mood, I need rainbow-colored LEDs for that. F#c% focus groups and marketing. Seriously.)

And why can't I buy a premium car with cloth seats anymore? Five months out of the year, I have to deal with temperatures in the upper 90s and 100s. So for me, choosing a car either means the joy of having the AC blast sub-arctic gale storms at your face in a futile attempt to compensate for the river of sweat that's running down your spine to collect in your plumbers' décolleté, or buying a cheap and plastic-ridden econobox to be able to have cloth seats. (Hence the above-mentioned Nissan Note.)

What I'm looking for is a low-tech, "analog"-ish electric car that offers just the basics, but does so IN-CUH-REDIBLY well. I don't understand why there doesn't seem to be a single car maker putting in the effort to put out at least a single model that's incredibly well made and purposefully kept to an absolute minimum in tech; electric powertrain or otherwise. Think Schiit, but cars. If that ever happens, I'll be among the first in line to buy one.

But I'm not holding my breath…

I know. I'm a princess.
I'll try to get over it. ;p

[/rant]

I'd like an electric vehicle that handles nimbly and well; think S2000, a few vintage BMWs, the ND MX-5. Probably would depend upon at least 2 prerequisites:
  • Radical new energy storage solution that sheds the weight of current battery packs;
  • Designed by zealous drivers, and not by electromechanical engineers raised in minivans and SUVs.
And I agree with you that -- often the fault of poorly-conceived and/or -executed technology -- nearly every new vehicle available today has serious ergonomic shortcomings, if they're not complete cluster****s.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #85,303 of 151,265
I was looking for the Schiit polishing cloth (ala Apple) and saw this schwag I hadn't seen before...
https://www.schiit.com/products/mug

(surprised I haven't seen pics with various brown liquors in it)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #85,304 of 151,265
No tubes, chokes. Choke tossing. Not tube rolling.

Hey guys, I picked up a used B&0 turntable and I'm listening to a very beat up copy of the pink panther soundtrack. I was thinking it'd be near new but people liked this record!

little ad for audiophiles on the back:

To solve these old and obstinate problems in disc recording, highly ingenious computers -- electrontic brains - have been introduced to audio for the first time!

Mancini's "Hatari" soundtrack is a lot of fun too.
The Pink Panther
Hatari!
Peter Gunn
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Mr. Lucky
Charade

All favorites of mine. Henry Mancini wrote some very good music.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #85,305 of 151,265
I'd like an electric vehicle that handles nimbly and well; think S2000, a few vintage BMWs, the ND MX-5. Probably would depend upon at least 2 prerequisites:
  • Radical new energy storage solution that sheds the weight of current battery packs;
  • Designed by zealous drivers, and not by electromechanical engineers raised in minivans and SUVs.
And I agree with you that -- often the fault of poorly-conceived and/or -executed technology -- nearly every new vehicle available today has serious ergonomic shortcomings, if they're not complete cluster****s.
tesla-roadster-oem.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back