One pourbon, one Scotch, one beer.
One pourbon, one Sblotch, one beer.
One proourbon, one Sblotch, one veer.
BBluuuurpff
Followed by some version of: "Hey babbby, you shore look good tonight..."

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #85,232 of 150,705
Tyr is massive!!!
Are those SL600?

[edit] Never mind, answered a few posts later. The SL700Si are still on my "I wish I owned those" list.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #85,234 of 150,705
Loki Max looks like it might be fantastic for mastering duties. I was looking at a solid hardware mastering EQ last night from MAAG and it was $2600. But Loki Max comes along, and if I understand correctly (I don't expect any answers from Schiit as I know their policy on speaking about competitors products) this may occupy a similar space to the Manley Massive Passive EQ, which is around $7k. Ideally, we in mastering would like independent control of L/R channels (possibly expanding to a M/S mode as well). Those things don't get used often, but when you need them, you need them.

One thing I need to clarify, what's the gain increments on the bands? It sounds like each relay increases/decreases the gain of each band by 1 DB. If that's the case, then unfortunately this is way too coarse for mastering, where we like things detented to more like 1/10 DB. A big move in mastering is considered 2DB, so no need to go far beyond that, but we want very fine control within that 2 DB.

I think all I've done now is explain why them mastering EQs cost such big bucks...
It's a non constant Q, non constant steps. I added all 15 steps for all 6 bands (one direction only) to the APx report. Very subtle changes just off of flat are easy, but the steps get a lot bigger as you get near the end. Going to constant Q/constant steps is a whole different ball game--it's 6x the active components, 12x the gain stages, no more LC, not for us.

1638396058372.png

Does the Loki Max need to vent at the top? Or can it be stacked under something, as in the picture?
It can be stacked on something as long as it doesn't have a transformer in the wrong place. Bottom line: try it. At worst, it will hum and you'll have to move it.
@Jason Stoddard.
Loki Max is 100% not for me, but what a drive you and your team have to pull off such a stunning piece of technical audio gear.
Passion, knowledge and massive determination is the only basis to achieve something like this. Truly impressed.
Eat your heart out top high end $$$$ companies. Look, Listen and Learn.

Looking forward to Tyr.
Loki Max is not for everyone, nor is our approach to equalization--which I think I've covered in the FAQ. Bottom line, there are a ton of ways to do EQ, at a crazy range of prices, from digital stuff that may be as cheap as free to parametric stuff to constant Q to single-gain-stage LC to passive. We chose single-gain-stage LC as the one with the least compromises overall, but there are absolutely compromises to each approach.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #85,235 of 150,705
For better or worse, I'm in the Loki Max Isn't for Me camp. That sixth knob just makes it bling.

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #85,236 of 150,705
It's a non constant Q, non constant steps. I added all 15 steps for all 6 bands (one direction only) to the APx report. Very subtle changes just off of flat are easy, but the steps get a lot bigger as you get near the end. Going to constant Q/constant steps is a whole different ball game--it's 6x the active components, 12x the gain stages, no more LC, not for us.

It can be stacked on something as long as it doesn't have a transformer in the wrong place. Bottom line: try it. At worst, it will hum and you'll have to move it.

Loki Max is not for everyone, nor is our approach to equalization--which I think I've covered in the FAQ. Bottom line, there are a ton of ways to do EQ, at a crazy range of prices, from digital stuff that may be as cheap as free to parametric stuff to constant Q to single-gain-stage LC to passive. We chose single-gain-stage LC as the one with the least compromises overall, but there are absolutely compromises to each approach.
ASR is going to blow a gasket. Just sayin'.

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #85,237 of 150,705
I wonder if they will sell me a black case for my silver Bifrost 2 with my Black Loki Max order. :D

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #85,241 of 150,705
I wonder if they will sell me a black case for my silver Bifrost 2 with my Black Loki Max order. :D
You need to talk with your good bud ... really a good bud to all of us here ... bcowen ... he has a technology where he tapes a faux front made of cardboard onto his equipment racks, and then punches holes for the various knobs, ports and displays.

That way everything looks the same, regardless of what color case each piece was in when it left the factory.

For advanced hobbyists, there's apparently even an upgrade option where the cardboard can be spray-painted in the color of your choice. Or your spouse's, if necessary.

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #85,242 of 150,705
Oh, Schiit, c'mon mates...
Y'all are really giving me the terrible urge to cancel my Lokius backorder and spring for a Loki Max.
The question is, does Loki Max actually sound different/better than Lokius? I understand it looks a LOT more fun to use but is it an improvement?

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #85,244 of 150,705
Loki Max looks like it might be fantastic for mastering duties. I was looking at a solid hardware mastering EQ last night from MAAG and it was $2600. But Loki Max comes along, and if I understand correctly (I don't expect any answers from Schiit as I know their policy on speaking about competitors products) this may occupy a similar space to the Manley Massive Passive EQ, which is around $7k. Ideally, we in mastering would like independent control of L/R channels (possibly expanding to a M/S mode as well). Those things don't get used often, but when you need them, you need them.

One thing I need to clarify, what's the gain increments on the bands? It sounds like each relay increases/decreases the gain of each band by 1 DB. If that's the case, then unfortunately this is way too coarse for mastering, where we like things detented to more like 1/10 DB. A big move in mastering is considered 2DB, so no need to go far beyond that, but we want very fine control within that 2 DB.

I think all I've done now is explain why them mastering EQs cost such big bucks...
Edit - a couple of people beat me to this. But it is so affordable relative to the $25k or even the $7k competition. "Buy two Loki Maxes so you can do separate EQ for left and right..."

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #85,245 of 150,705
... and it needs to drive them through a really skinny cable. It's nice that the other components don't need much cables either!

loki%20max%20insitu%201920.jpg

For those don't know, it's a Celestion SL6 speaker from the 1980s.
I’ve always been intrigued by this Schiit but their headphone amps aren‘t so tempting. Is the Freya you have in the stack there any good as a headphone amp or you use another dedicated setup for headphone listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back