Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 17, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #84,481 of 152,914
Schiit also specifically mentions in Vidar's FAQ section that magneplanars (which tend to be at around 4 ohm, dipping down to ~3) are no problem. Granted, that might be assuming a single Vidar in stereo, but it's not specifically stated that they wouldn't be able to do so as mono blocks, either.
In this very thread, Jason specifically stated the Vidar is rated into 8-ohms as a mono amp. He stated it is "stable" at 4-ohm loads, but that it was not intended for that load and may shut down in thermal protection if pushed.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #84,482 of 152,914
Yup. Now double up the cost of labor (to employ only non-illegals) on top of all that and let's see who can afford a house.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure we don't have a lot of illegals up here in Canada, minimum wage is $15 while trades generally earn over $20/hr, and homes still get built and bought.

Paying a fair wage to build a house does not appear to have caused the collapse of society.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #84,483 of 152,914
Duly noted.

For what it's worth, though, and not to start an argument but simply as mere added information:
I've had them for a bit over a week, and they haven't shown any sign of struggle. Their frequency response seems stable at all (relevant) volume levels, and the amps themselves remain very cool to the touch. They barely get warm at all, especially nowhere near as hot as the Aegirs. (Yes, I know, apples and oranges.)

Schiit also specifically mentions in Vidar's FAQ section that magneplanars (which tend to be at around 4 ohm, dipping down to ~3) are no problem. Granted, that might be assuming a single Vidar in stereo, but it's not specifically stated that they wouldn't be able to do so as mono blocks, either.

So, worst (albeit somewhat likely) case: I'll have to use a single Vidar in stereo once I pull the trigger on the Magnepans.

Until then, I think they'll do fine with the Q950s in mono.
And if not, I'm sure I'll be able to find a more suitable alternative, although I'd hate to have to go outside Schiit. :)
I have driven a pair of Magnepan LRS for approximately 30 minutes at medium volume with an Onkyo TX-NR818 with out any problems. This was prior to the (HUMOR ALERT! HUMOR ALERT!) Fauvid Plandemic (LOL!) and I really should have bought a pair as I have always admired and wanted Maggies...But I also have Denon Heos set up and made the choice to keep that one in service as I like HEOS speakers ease of use through out our home. By the way. The Onkyo is THX certified to run at 4 ohms and as I said, it worked fine.

I may still get the LRS but right now I am listening to Elton John's "Tumbleweed Connection" via a new pair of Bose QC45s. People that claim any ANC 'phones can quell a lawn mower must have a toy one as while these are excellent they cannot totally silence a Dyson V7 Animal vacuum. They are very good at noise cancelling and I think they are superior to the Sennheiser Momentum 3 and PXC 550ii and Sony WM-1000XM4 i recently had and tested at home. These are not displaying any of the problems I had with those headphones.

But I digress...I liked the LRS and again, I will save up for a pair as time and work allow. I never play anything music at stupid loud levels, movies are another matter (Predator!). The LRS probably would not be a good choice for action films but for "Pygmalion" or its musical version, "My Fair Lady"? Yup!

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #84,484 of 152,914
The touch bar comes to mind, especially the first iteration without a physical ESC key. So much value in having easy to find keys in the corner of the keyboard and then they do this.

touch-bar-escape-key-macbook-pro.jpg

And that ridiculously large touch pad with the fake click. Too easy to use accidentally, and I had to disable something to prevent it from interpreting my click attempts incorrectly.

The keyboard also got worse before it got better, being too shallow.

GUI wise, I hate that the default is to go full screen instead of just maximizing the window size. And then full screen is this weird three finger swipe thing and doesn't interact well with Command-Tab.

Angry Birds. Just doesn't feel as right with a mouse. But not much else comes to mind.

It can be that, but it also enables adding new functionality with a cheap software update rather than requiring swapping hardware. You simply couldn't get the pace of improvements that Tesla is pulling off without a touch screen, so it's the right trade off. Which is sad, because I agree with your preferences in general. It would be nice if touch screens had adaptive haptics. There has been some research in that area, but apparently nothing ready for production.
Looks like Apple is moving away from the Touch Bar in their new MacBook Pro. The large track is great for me.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #84,485 of 152,914
I am sure he comes from a good home, but sometimes..... :ksc75smile:
Well, Tom -- not quite...

I had no home as a child. I was abandoned at birth and raised by stray cats. They never showed me any affection and merely kept me around to lick their fur so they wouldn't cough up fur balls. At the age of 3 they found that I was stealing their catnip and I was turned out onto the streets once again. I will not go into further detail on my pre-teen years, but suffice it to say, it was not an idyllic pre-pubescent scene.

While I continued to live a homeless lifestyle, rummaging through trash cans and dumpsters for sustenance, it is there where I found my 1st computer book and discovered my passion for technology. Having found my reason for being, I cancelled my scheduled interview for a position as Ron Jeremy's 'fluffer' and instead volunteered to help Al Gore invent the Internet. I now have a flourishing IT career and a wonderful life owing none of it to a good home or cats. I can say that my journey through life has taught me 3 things...

1) The 2 most important days in ones life are the day they are born and the day they find out why!

2) If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

3) They couldn't have paid me enough to be RJ's 'fluffer'.

(Hopefully, not TMI.)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #84,486 of 152,914

I had no home as a child. I was abandoned at birth and raised by stray cats. They never showed me any affection and merely kept me around to lick their fur so they wouldn't cough up fur balls. At the age of 3 they found that I was stealing their catnip and I was turned out onto the streets once again. I will not go into further detail on my pre-teen years, but suffice it to say, it was not an idyllic pre-pubescent scene.

While I continued to live a homeless lifestyle, rummaging through trash cans and dumpsters for sustenance, it is there where I found my 1st computer book and discovered my passion for technology. Having found my reason for being, I cancelled my scheduled interview for a position as Ron Jeremy's 'fluffer' and instead volunteered to help Al Gore invent the Internet. I now have a flourishing IT career and a wonderful life and owe none of it to a good home or cats. I can say that my journey through life has taught me 3 things...

1) The 2 most important days in ones life are the day they are born and the day they find out why!

(Hopefully, not TMI.)

Where's the "epic" button?

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #84,487 of 152,914
Any target date for Tyr yet?
And I know some would say “it will be ready when its ready”

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #84,488 of 152,914

While I continued to live a homeless lifestyle, rummaging through trash cans and dumpsters for sustenance, it is there where I found my 1st computer book and discovered my passion for technology. Having found my reason for being, I cancelled my scheduled interview for a position as Ron Jeremy's 'fluffer' and instead volunteered to help Al Gore invent the Internet. I now have a flourishing IT career and a wonderful life and owe none of it to a good home or cats. I can say that my journey through life has taught me 3 things...

(Hopefully, not TMI.)
If I may? Huzzah!

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #84,489 of 152,914
Any target date for Tyr yet?
And I know some would say “it will be ready when its ready”

As Jason said earlier this month (buried in his thread talking about supplies of NOS / new-production tubes):
And yeah, groan, I know, we're late on a bunch of stuff. So here's a quick update:
  • Folkvangr: thermal issues fixed, first article revised metal approved, boards approved, just doing the waiting dance now. Best guess, end of year.
  • Tyr: just waiting for production, after one of the new PCB assemblers sat on their hands too long (and were doing more important stuff, like Vidar, to be fair). Best guess, before Folkvangr.
  • Loki Max: just waiting for the remotes to come in. Best guess, before Tyr.
Other stuff is in dev hell or we've intentionally dialed back so we could address our stocking issues--as in, use our capacity to build more of the products that are already popular. We're getting better at keeping stuff in stock, but we still have a ways to go. As usual, thank you for your patience.

I'll have a new chapter up shortly, plus a couple of product chapters when they hit, plus a year-end wrap-up. Despite it seeming relatively quiet, we've learned a lot this year, and there are some surprising new things coming.

(That is, if we can get parts. Back to that now. Arrrrgghhh.)

All the best,
Jason

Hopefully, your patience will be rewarded. :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #84,490 of 152,914
As Jason said earlier this month (buried in his thread talking about supplies of NOS / new-production tubes):

Hopefully, your patience will be rewarded. :L3000:
Thank you very much!

I cant wait to hear my usual Christmas songs with Tyr and Loki Max in my 2 channel chain!

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #84,492 of 152,914
  • A little while back I promised a more detailed writeup of my first impressions with Yggy OG. Since then, I decided against this for two reasons:
    First, out of respect for @EricDH. The man really doesn't need yet another reason to make his accountant cry.
    And second, there's really not a whole lot to write about!
    Yggy OG is… well… it's probably the most "boring" DAC I've ever heard.
    No frills, no drama, no nothing.
    Every Schiit DAC I've listened to before has had something unique about them. Modius is arguably the best delta-sigma DAC I've heard, of any brand, but it can sound a bit lackluster at times; detailed, yes, but just a little lifeless. Bifrost 2 is the polar opposite to Modius; it has a very warm and almost analogue sound to it, but lacks in detail. Gumby combines the best of the two; it is incredibly revealing and detailed, yet lively and pleasant when fed with good recordings – but it can also be a bit harsh (as in, TOO revealing) when it comes to audio compression artifacts.
    Yggy OG, however, is none of these things. It's not harsh, nor is it warm. It's not overly revealing, nor is it overly euphonic. It's not adding anything, nor is it removing anything.
    It doesn't seem to be trying to be anything at all.
    Ever since I received my Yggy OG, I've pretty much just forgotten about it. I am listening to it for a few hours every single day, but not once have I caught myself thinking "Well, it's really nice and all, but…"
    It just works.
    Paul Reed Smith of PRS Guitars is often quoted saying that making guitars is the art of figuring out ways to remove as little from the guitar's natural sound as possible. It's not about adding bits and bobs to make your guitar sound better, it's about making sure that you remove as little of the guitar's natural sound as you possibly can.
    I think that with Yggy OG, @Baldr managed to come incredibly close to Paul's ideal. This DAC isn't adding to the sound, and it's not trying to remove something or to fix anything, either.
    It simply delivers you your recordings, with as little drama as is physically possible.
    It just gets out of your way.
    And that, ladies and gents, is probably the highest compliment I can give to a piece of audio equipment.
Thanks for the impression, really appreciated. And....don't take everything I say seriously (nothing, actually :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #84,493 of 152,914

(Hopefully, not TMI.)

I'm pretty sure that one of your stray cats has been found! Does this look familiar?

:beerchug:
JC

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #84,494 of 152,914

While I continued to live a homeless lifestyle, rummaging through trash cans and dumpsters for sustenance, it is there where I found my 1st computer book and discovered my passion for technology. Having found my reason for being, I cancelled my scheduled interview for a position as Ron Jeremy's 'fluffer' and instead volunteered to help Al Gore invent the Internet. I now have a flourishing IT career and a wonderful life owing none of it to a good home or cats. I can say that my journey through life has taught me 3 things...

(Hopefully, not TMI.)
Hell's kittens that is almost as bad as @bcowen moving from cardboard box to cardboard box. I believe he was raised by wolves, some think he is Romulus, others Remus, but I have no opinion either way. :beerchug:

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #84,495 of 152,914
Hell's kittens that is almost as bad as @bcowen moving from cardboard box to cardboard box. I believe he was raised by wolves, some think he is Romulus, others Remus, but I have no opinion either way. :beerchug:

More like a child of Cerberus. That way, one head can eat NC BBQ, while the other 2 gag...! :dog::dog2::dog:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back