Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 11, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #82,774 of 150,664
I was born in 83, and I'm of the mindset that "old school" is generally a term of respect, admiration, and/or they dont make them like that any more kind of deal...

My dad likes to tell a story about how him and his buddies used to "float" down a seldom used stretch of railway in North Central Minnesota in the late 60s n early 70s. It involved an old Ford boat that had the right sized wheel base, letting some air out of the tires, and playing with the idle speed so the car moved at about 5 mph. He's old school, and its sad how often those kinds of stories end with "you cant do that kind of stuff anymore".

Alternatively, when I first told my brother about the tube amp that @Paladin79 had built, I referred to it as an old school design using vacuum tubes. My brother likes music, and after listening to the amp I lovingly refer to as "Ellie", he now understands my enthusiasm for the hobby.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #82,775 of 150,664
TL;DR: I'm happy to report that the MUTEC MC-1.1+ is a bit-perfect DDC.

Boring details:

The MC-1.1+ is a fascinating little device. It has single TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES inputs and dual TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES outputs.

MC-1.1plus_Front_RGB.jpg

MC-1.1plus_Back_RGB.jpg

There are three modes:
  • Unidirectional: You select any of the four inputs, and the input signal gets sent to all eight outputs simultaneously.
  • Bidirectional: You select a pair of inputs, say TOSLINK and AES, and the TOSLINK input gets passed on to the AES output, and the AES input gets passed on to the TOSLINK output.
  • Split: Each of the four input types gets separately sent to the two corresponding outputs. So you can split one TOSLINK signal into two, while simultaneously splitting a separate Coax RCA signal into two, with different sample rates each, and so on. So basically it acts as four simultaneous 1:2 splitters, one for each supported format.
With a Topping D10 as a USB to TOSLINK / Coax RCA converter, a MUTEC MC-3+ USB as a converter between either its TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES input to all of its TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES outputs, and a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen to record its Coax RCA input via USB, I was able to test the unidirectional mode of the MC-1.1+ with all its inputs and outputs, the bidirectional mode with TOSLINK and Coax RCA, and the Split mode with TOSLINK and Coax RCA.

I played a 19 second long 24 bit 192 kHz test track with foobar2000 in ASIO mode, and recorded it with Acon Acoustica Standard 7 as a 24 bit 192 kHz WAV file, trimmed the recorded WAV file (removing any leading and trailing silence and any metadata) with a custom script and compared the raw files bit by bit with Total Commander, and they matched perfectly.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #82,777 of 150,664
I just heard the worst headphones I have heard in my life. The manufacturer was so proud of them he did not bother with a name or logo on the side. I was trapped and could not remove them for 20 minutes so all I could do was suffer through the music and external noises I was experiencing. There were no headphone cables, no copper or silver wire but audio was pumped through what looked like hollow pvc tubing. Worst sonic experience of my life!!

Mind you I was inside an MRI machine at the time, but still!!!!! :ksc75smile:

Oh yeah, I was told there was a huge amount of music to choose from since they had Pandora.:)
Everything is relative.
Routine check or ... ?

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #82,778 of 150,664
Everything is relative.
Routine check or ... ?
possible sciatic neuritis, exercises and PT no longer seem to help so time for tests.

I was being facetious about the headphones, the folks there were very professional and helpful; having been there three months ago I had very little paperwork to fill out. I was last patient of the day so everyone was in a very good mood and joked around with me as I was sped through the process. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #82,779 of 150,664
None here. My ENT orders annual head MRI’s to check on a small benign tumor on my auditory path @ the brain (it’s what causes my left ear tinnitus). Foam plugs a must, and I just zone out for 45 minutes.
Those are called Schwannoma tumors. I'm lucky, I have NF2 which means I have one on each side. My right one led to a 5cm mass that had to be surgically removed back in 2017. I have 100% hearing loss on the right side and a 7.4k roll-off on the left and Tinnitus in both ears. I find it really insulting to be totally deaf in one ear yet get constant ringing.

But back to the MRI, I have tried the headphones, although I can't be sure, they looked exactly like the Audeze ones. I've gotten many MRI's and never experienced claustrophobia before, I wasn't wearing them for 2 minutes before I hit the panic button. Between a face mask and the clamping pressure, which was intense, I went back to the tried and true foam tips.

Now if I could just convince headphone manufactures to sell me just a left driver at at a reduced cost :dt880smile:

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #82,780 of 150,664
TL;DR: I'm happy to report that the MUTEC MC-1.1+ is a bit-perfect DDC.

Boring details:

The MC-1.1+ is a fascinating little device. It has single TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES inputs and dual TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES outputs.

MC-1.1plus_Front_RGB.jpg

MC-1.1plus_Back_RGB.jpg

There are three modes:
  • Unidirectional: You select any of the four inputs, and the input signal gets sent to all eight outputs simultaneously.
  • Bidirectional: You select a pair of inputs, say TOSLINK and AES, and the TOSLINK input gets passed on to the AES output, and the AES input gets passed on to the TOSLINK output.
  • Split: Each of the four input types gets separately sent to the two corresponding outputs. So you can split one TOSLINK signal into two, while simultaneously splitting a separate Coax RCA signal into two, with different sample rates each, and so on. So basically it acts as four simultaneous 1:2 splitters, one for each supported format.
With a Topping D10 as a USB to TOSLINK / Coax RCA converter, a MUTEC MC-3+ USB as a converter between either its TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES input to all of its TOSLINK / Coax RCA / Coax BNC / AES outputs, and a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen to record its Coax RCA input via USB, I was able to test the unidirectional mode of the MC-1.1+ with all its inputs and outputs, the bidirectional mode with TOSLINK and Coax RCA, and the Split mode with TOSLINK and Coax RCA.

I played a 19 second long 24 bit 192 kHz test track with foobar2000 in ASIO mode, and recorded it with Acon Acoustica Standard 7 as a 24 bit 192 kHz WAV file, trimmed the recorded WAV file (removing any leading and trailing silence and any metadata) with a custom script and compared the raw files bit by bit with Total Commander, and they matched perfectly.
Wow, I just went down a rabbit hole looking at all of these...
https://www.mutec-net.com/produkte.php

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #82,781 of 150,664
Virtual SchiitrMeet October
Mike Moffat's Audio Journey

Hey guys,

For the virtual Schiitrmeet this month, you get Mike's audio journey. Kinda like my Road to Schiit last month, but a bit longer. Do you really know how much Mike has influenced the audio industry over the years? I bet you don't! Ask him about bringing tubes back, early adventures with audio cables, the foundational years of digital audio, surround sound, Schiit, and a whole lot more...

Virtual SchiitrMeet October
Wednesday, October 13, 4PM PST (6PM CT)

Questions? Send them to denise@schiit.com

Please join us on Facebook or YouTube:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 11, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #82,782 of 150,664
Early adventures with audio cables...

Just what this thread needs is @Baldr explaining how cables do make a difference by keeping things from sounding like ass. Rioting will commence.

*Insert popcorn emoji here*

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #82,783 of 150,664
Here's something interesting:

I bought an Eitr on the used market and added it to my main system. I was playing new-to-me music today, one album at a time. Between albums I was updating tags and whatnot. Whenever I dragged my finger across that little mouse pad/ tracker below the space bar, I heard static through my speakers. Not high in level, but audible and only when my fingers were moving on my mouse pad.

PC -> Eitr -> pre-pre (now via coax S/PDIF) -> amps for 2-channel audio
PC -> pre-pro (via HDMI) -> amps for video

I haven't done any A/B comparisons, or even routed 2-channel audio through HDMI since I added the Eitr, but my impression is upper mids and highs are sweeter and cleaner when converted to S/PDIF.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #82,785 of 150,664
Hmmmmm...Hello the house!

Well. I have not said that in quite some time but there is a reason for my ebullient demeanor. I bought my son and my brother each one of those THX headphone amps. I then, in a fit of vinyl lust bought something to go with my Andover Audio Spinstand upon which currently sits one of those frAudiophile scaring all-in-one turntable/radio/CD setups! So I now bought a Spinbase in black. I like vinyl. I like how listening to vinyl can be calming to me. I have worked a bunch of overtime to get my brother and my son those THX amps and myself the Spinbase. I even have the money set aside for the Magnius. Just waiting for the wait time to come down. Or for Sir Jason of Schiit to make a freaking card for Coax and/or Toslink for the Jotunheim/Assguard 3 et al.

Jason? Is this on? Hello? Is this working? I realize that in the grand scheme of things I am not much of a "customer". I've only bought two things from Schiit. A Vali for my brother and a Valhalla 2 for me. That by the way is the same brother I just bought the THX Amp for. He's my brother and he's retired and on a fixed income so when I find something I think he will enjoy, I try to save for and then buy it.

Life is short. Too short to wait too long. I am in a weird mood, I know.
I sent my question in for the meeting. We now return you to your regularly scheduled talk about.

El ORTo grumpo :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back