Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #82,351 of 155,069
I am sure there is - but I can't tell enough - so I am not allowed to pick colors. Basically I am why some shops require signed notes that (insert husband/spouse/boyfriend/etc) is allowed to pick colors without the other half present for paint/siding/appliances/etc.
The WAF is real...

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #82,352 of 155,069
All, I am the new owner of a Freya S and Bifrost 2 DAC. It was a bit of an adventure getting things working because “audible volume dial setting” on the Freya was VERY different than my Parasound. That is now sorted and I believe I’ve noticed two things: the ambience seems much better (fingers sliding in the strings of a guitar, martele of a bow attack etc), the other is imaging. The sound stage appears wider on recordings I know very well. Would this be the DAC, Freya or both? Thanks.

Ray

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #82,353 of 155,069
Today most outlets are ivory (off white/tan) or white.
All mine are orange. Since they're hospital-grade, all the rage twenty years ago in the audiophile press, it doesn't matter what condition my power is in, my gear sounds great.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #82,354 of 155,069
Trust me, there is a difference. I was working for an electrical contractor and we had a client building a house. She signed off on our contract for ivory outlets, switches and faceplates. She had a fit upon inspection that they were not the right color. She wanted white. We went through the whole house and replaced them all. Then she had a second fit when she got the bill for us to do that.
What!? Changes cost money? Say it isn't so.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #82,355 of 155,069
All mine are orange. Since they're hospital-grade, all the rage twenty years ago in the audiophile press, it doesn't matter what condition my power is in, my gear sounds great.
Just FYI, hospital grade outlets also come in grey, ivory and white

Edit: The Orange Outlets outlets are usually connected to the Whole Hospital UPS. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #82,356 of 155,069
All, I am the new owner of a Freya S and Bifrost 2 DAC. It was a bit of an adventure getting things working because “audible volume dial setting” on the Freya was VERY different than my Parasound. That is now sorted and I believe I’ve noticed two things: the ambience seems much better (fingers sliding in the strings of a guitar, martele of a bow attack etc), the other is imaging. The sound stage appears wider on recordings I know very well. Would this be the DAC, Freya or both? Thanks.

Ray
Hi Ray,

It's both.

If you think they sound good now, just wait until they've both settled in a bit more.
Like you, I have a Bifrost 2 and Freya S. The pair feeds a single Vidar. Bifrost 2 sounds better to me using the balanced outs, even though both the balanced and single ended outputs use the same LME49724 chip. I won't argue with those saying that extra gain from the balanced side is fooling me, I'm just going with what sounds best to my ears.

Enjoy your new gear!

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #82,357 of 155,069
Just wanted to share my Schiity art project. Currently hanging in my office.

11590526.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #82,358 of 155,069
The hospital grade are not really about the color or even the higher build quality. If you notice most have a green triangle on them. This is to indicate they have an isolated ground. Of course they need to be installed correctly with that isolated ground running all the way back to the service entrance.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #82,359 of 155,069
The hospital grade are not really about the color or even the higher build quality. If you notice most have a green triangle on them. This is to indicate they have an isolated ground. Of course they need to be installed correctly with that isolated ground running all the way back to the service entrance.
Just googled "ac outlet color" and you can get just about any color you want, if you want to spend the money, that is. I unfortunately could not find any with brushed aluminum finish to match my Schiit. So Disappointed.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #82,360 of 155,069
What's the purpose of an isolated ground? I know leakage current is a huge issue for medical equipment. Is the isolated ground related to that?

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #82,361 of 155,069
@Jason Stoddard I was interested in the More is Less...and I'm not an expert at reading measurements...but it doesn't seem like it delivers on the promise of being measurement focused when you look at measurements across multiple frequencies (but I could be reading this wrong).

See here: https://goldensound.audio/2021/09/21/schiit-yggdrasil-more-is-less-measurements/

Any chance that the More is Less might get a re-work to address this? I wonder if the high end frequency issues had anything to do with the lack of support for the More is Less in the blind test? Any updates would be appreciated...I would prefer to buy a US made DAC over something like a Holo.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #82,362 of 155,069
Just FYI, hospital grade outlets also come in grey, ivory and white

Edit: The Orange Outlets outlets are usually connected to the Whole Hospital UPS. Ask me how I know.

Just googled "ac outlet color" and you can get just about any color you want, if you want to spend the money, that is. I unfortunately could not find any with brushed aluminum finish to match my Schiit. So Disappointed.
Guys, this was a joke. I don't believe the choice of outlet can help with any aspect of the incoming power other than the resistance of the connection between the receptacle and the power cord plug.

BTW, I know the orange outlets in a hospital are connected to the facility's UPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back