Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 24, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #82,276 of 150,550
Nice, going top of the line all round:

Makita - check!

Miele - check!

And most importantly ZMF VC - CHECK!

Sadly I only meet 2 of the 3 lol.

Miele is like the Sennheiser of large home appliances, I’m slowly replacing our kitchen appliances with their stuff as need arises. Makita might be an overkill for my use, but I have good experience of them in my previous job at a car manufacturing plant.

And of course, VC is simply amazing!

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #82,278 of 150,550
WOW!! this is going to be very good read!! :relaxed:

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #82,279 of 150,550
Fulla has a specific USB connector just for external power, but otherwise runs on the USB power from the computer.

Magni & co that uses AC wallwarts will run on a range of AC voltages (I wouldn’t go over the rated voltage though) and probably also on DC as they have all rectification and regulation they need inside. However, if the supply is too weak the units (especially a Magni) won’t run to its full potential.
With that said, I still wouldn’t personally use any other than the original (or equivalent) power supply.
Magni, Loki Mini, and other Schiit products that are rated for use with 14 - 16 volt AC wall warts should NOT be used with DC output wall warts as they will not function correctly (missing or incorrect internal voltage supply rails)

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #82,280 of 150,550
Hi Guys,
Sorry for this offtopic, but i need ask a dumb question :sweat_smile: im building a Arcade based in a Raspberry pi, for my son, and i added a small amplifier with volume knob.
but this amp is a stupid product, cause the audio imput, is located near the shaft, and it dont have enought lenght to pass through the wood panel.
I tryed add an shaft extension, but its really anoying and dont work very well, so here is the question. The amplifier have a small 50k 125mw potentiometer, and i wanna know if its ok replace it with a diferent one, with longer shaft, but the ones i can find are 50k 200mw.
I dont understand nothing about this, what will do a potentiometer with higher mw? :sweat_smile::robot::thinking:

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9978.JPG
    IMG_9978.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9979.JPG
    IMG_9979.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 0
  • pctdetail.113-033.1.jpg
    pctdetail.113-033.1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #82,282 of 150,550
Hi Guys,
Sorry for this offtopic, but i need ask a dumb question :sweat_smile: im building a Arcade based in a Raspberry pi, for my son, and i added a small amplifier with volume knob.
but this amp is a stupid product, cause the audio imput, is located near the shaft, and it dont have enought lenght to pass through the wood panel.
I tryed add an shaft extension, but its really anoying and dont work very well, so here is the question. The amplifier have a small 50k 125mw potentiometer, and i wanna know if its ok replace it with a diferent one, with longer shaft, but the ones i can find are 50k 200mw.
I dont understand nothing about this, what will do a potentiometer with higher mw? :sweat_smile::robot::thinking:

thanks!
The higher rating will make no difference - make sure the taper matches (ie: audio vs: linear)

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #82,283 of 150,550
Gungnir is on its way back with more bits and better USB.

The folks at Schiit CA are a bunch of teases. They sent a very nice e-mail telling me my gear is being shipped, but it hasn't shipped. FedEx says so. :)

I'm sure it will be here by Wednesday next week.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #82,284 of 150,550

The folks at Schiit CA are a bunch of teases. They sent a very nice e-mail telling me my gear is being shipped, but it hasn't shipped. FedEx says so. :)

That's standard SOP for practically any company. As soon as a shipping label is printed, they consider it "shipped."

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #82,285 of 150,550
Magni, Loki Mini, and other Schiit products that are rated for use with 14 - 16 volt AC wall warts should NOT be used with DC output wall warts as they will not function correctly (missing or incorrect internal voltage supply rails)
Of course you are correct, the products are only meant to use the power supply they came with and as I said I would not personally use them with any other, nor would I recommend anyone else to use them with any other power supply.

However it is true that the small devices using the same plug will work with each other’s AC power supplies in a pinch (so at least 14-16 V), but for example a Magni could not output it’s rated power using a Modi supply (but would otherwise work).

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #82,286 of 150,550
I still can't get my head around the 3 Yggdrasil variations. It feels to me like the total opposite of thunderdome.
Or is there a chance that OG and MIL will disappear in favor a best selling LIM (just as an example).
Is this just me?

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #82,287 of 150,550
I still can't get my head around the 3 Yggdrasil variations. It feels to me like the total opposite of thunderdome.
Or is there a chance that OG and MIL will disappear in favor a best selling LIM (just as an example).
Is this just me?
At this point, I'll disagree - we now have 3 options, all of which fit into the Yggy base chassis. I've ordered the Unison card for my Yggy GS, will be interested to see if I hear a difference. I was tempted to order the LIM card as well, but decided to hold off, and will likely go with the OG card at some future point.

Choices are good!

What DID interest me in the discussion, was the implication they are looking at simplifying the chassis, but I got the impression that even this would support existing card formats....

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #82,288 of 150,550

I got my B stock Gumby yesterday. Swapped Bifrost 2 for its big brother. Currently listening with Rag 2/Gumby/LRSs.

Let me say, your ears are in for an absolute treat. I don't have time right now to ramble on & on....(I will do that later)... but wowsa....Gumby balanced into Ragnarok 2 is absolutely fantastic with a big side of awesome sauce.

Hopefully yours doesn't sit in California for 3 days twiddling its thumbs at a Fedex hub.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #82,289 of 150,550
I got my B stock gumby yesterday. Swapped bifrost 2 for its big brother. Currently listening with Rag 2/Gumby/LRSs.

Let me say, your ears are in for an absolute treat. I don't have time right now to ramble on & on....(I will do that later)... but wowsa....Gumby balanced into Ragnarok 2 is absolutely fantastic with a big side of awesome sauce.

Hopefully yours doesn't sit in California for 3 days twiddling its thumbs at a Fedex hub.
My Gumby is twiddling its thumbs in Illinois...On day 3 now, so hopefully it continues its journey tomorrow!

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #82,290 of 150,550
At this point, I'll disagree - we now have 3 options, all of which fit into the Yggy base chassis. I've ordered the Unison card for my Yggy GS, will be interested to see if I hear a difference. I was tempted to order the LIM card as well, but decided to hold off, and will likely go with the OG card at some future point.

Choices are good!

What DID interest me in the discussion, was the implication they are looking at simplifying the chassis, but I got the impression that even this would support existing card formats....

Freya-S and Freya+ were also choices in the same chassis! As were others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back