Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #82,307 of 150,453
F1AL250V is the fuse specification.
F = fast acting
1A = 1 amp
L = low breaking
250V = 250 volt rating

You can use any that has F1AL250V spec and the same size.

tXYSv.png
Thanks for the explanation!
Where might I buy one? I don’t need the same exact brand I guess but I’m really not comfortable buying a no-name on Amazon..

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #82,308 of 150,453
Aegir owners (and @Jason Stoddard, if you have a minute), specifically those of you who operate them in mono; quick question:

Have you noticed one of them tripping into thermal shutdown a whole lot quicker than the other? Is this normal, or is this indicating a potential problem and I should contact Schiit about it?

A few more details:
Both of them sit roughly five feet apart on a flat, wooden surface (meaning: no carpet or any other stuff that could obstruct air flow between the amp's bottom plate and the surface it's sitting on) with no obstructions whatsoever to their fronts, sides, and tops, and about six inches between their backs and a wall. So there's no standing air that could warm up and reduce their ability to dissipate heat. I have also tried raising both amps by putting them on 1 inch high "foot extenders" if you will to allow for more air flow underneath, with no appreciable effect.
Both are fed by a Freya+ using 4ft Snake Oil Taipan XLR interconnects and go into one 8ohm KEF Q950 each via high-quality, 10ft long 14AWG cables. Power cables are stock.

I live in California's Central Valley, so it certainly gets hot around here. 100+ degrees is no rarity, and during the summer months the room they sit in is at around 80º for most of the afternoon and into early night, but never higher than 82º.
While one of the Aegirs has yet to trip into thermal shutdown even once, the other one does so once or twice a week, and has done so from day 1. (Literally. The first time it tripped was about an hour after I unboxed it.)
It doesn't matter if it just sits there playing nothing for a few minutes or if it's been blasting Bruckner's 5th for two hours.
While room temperatures can get up to 80º in the summer, it has also tripped just as frequently during the somewhat cooler months earlier this year with room temperatures in the upper 60s.
I have switched cables, be it power cables, speaker cables, or interconnects, and I have switched channels (and with that their placements in the room). No change.
When used for the right channel, the tripping Aegir actually happens to be placed so that it benefits somewhat from that room's AC vent, although it trips regardless of whether it is being blown cooler air at or not.

When it trips, the "operate" light stays lit and the "standby/alert" light will blink. (I mention this in case there's an undocumented difference in behavior of the lights to signal whether it's a thermal shutdown or some other fault.) It's enough to switch it off and to wait for 15 seconds before switching it back on. It won't trip again for a few more days, even if the room gets even warmer as the day goes on.
Right after tripping, I measure temperatures of around 110º to 120º for the rear half of the top plate and of around 120º to 130º for the heat sinks right around where the transistors sit (using a Fluke 62 Max+ IR thermometer). This seems to be well within Schiit's stated operating temperature ("The heatsinks are gonna reach 50 degrees C or more […]"), and both amps measure the same temperatures within one or two degrees of another, so neither one runs appreciably cooler or hotter.

Please note: I am 100% aware that 80º room temperature is pushing it with the Aegirs. I am also aware that Schiit is unambiguous about the fact that active cooling might be required at room temperatures of 30º Science (~86º Freedom) or above. That is NOT my point. :)
My point is that one of them trips about once or twice a week, regardless of what is playing, at which volume, or whether something is playing at all, regardless of room temperature, and regardless of whether I place it in the left or in the right channel, while the other one never has, and whether this is within "normal" behavior for Aegirs or whether it is something I should worry about because it would indicate an issue with the one that trips. (Or even the one that doesn't trip while it should technically do so?!)

Just wanted to pick your guys' brains before I start nagging Schiit's support about this. It happens often enough to raise an eye brow, but not often enough to actually bother me enough to make me want to send this Aegir in. I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring/procrastinating on something that might turn out to be potentially fatal for the amp down the road.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #82,310 of 150,453
Three versions of Yggdrasil reminds me of Bifrost or Bifrost Uber days. Spend what you want to spend. :)

(by the way I thought for quite a long time that the name of that DAC was BIT-frost. Which is also cool.)
I'm sure that was unintentional...

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #82,311 of 150,453
Aegir owners (and @Jason Stoddard, if you have a minute), specifically those of you who operate them in mono; quick question:

Have you noticed one of them tripping into thermal shutdown a whole lot quicker than the other? Is this normal, or is this indicating a potential problem and I should contact Schiit about it?

A few more details:
Both of them sit roughly five feet apart on a flat, wooden surface (meaning: no carpet or any other stuff that could obstruct air flow between the amp's bottom plate and the surface it's sitting on) with no obstructions whatsoever to their fronts, sides, and tops, and about six inches between their backs and a wall. So there's no standing air that could warm up and reduce their ability to dissipate heat. I have also tried raising both amps by putting them on 1 inch high "foot extenders" if you will to allow for more air flow underneath, with no appreciable effect.
Both are fed by a Freya+ using 4ft Snake Oil Taipan XLR interconnects and go into one 8ohm KEF Q950 each via high-quality, 10ft long 14AWG cables. Power cables are stock.

I live in California's Central Valley, so it certainly gets hot around here. 100+ degrees is no rarity, and during the summer months the room they sit in is at around 80º for most of the afternoon and into early night, but never higher than 82º.
While one of the Aegirs has yet to trip into thermal shutdown even once, the other one does so once or twice a week, and has done so from day 1. (Literally. The first time it tripped was about an hour after I unboxed it.)
It doesn't matter if it just sits there playing nothing for a few minutes or if it's been blasting Bruckner's 5th for two hours.
While room temperatures can get up to 80º in the summer, it has also tripped just as frequently during the somewhat cooler months earlier this year with room temperatures in the upper 60s.
I have switched cables, be it power cables, speaker cables, or interconnects, and I have switched channels (and with that their placements in the room). No change.
When used for the right channel, the tripping Aegir actually happens to be placed so that it benefits somewhat from that room's AC vent, although it trips regardless of whether it is being blown cooler air at or not.

When it trips, the "operate" light stays lit and the "standby/alert" light will blink. (I mention this in case there's an undocumented difference in behavior of the lights to signal whether it's a thermal shutdown or some other fault.) It's enough to switch it off and to wait for 15 seconds before switching it back on. It won't trip again for a few more days, even if the room gets even warmer as the day goes on.
Right after tripping, I measure temperatures of around 110º to 120º for the rear half of the top plate and of around 120º to 130º for the heat sinks right around where the transistors sit (using a Fluke 62 Max+ IR thermometer). This seems to be well within Schiit's stated operating temperature ("The heatsinks are gonna reach 50 degrees C or more […]"), and both amps measure the same temperatures within one or two degrees of another, so neither one runs appreciably cooler or hotter.

Please note: I am 100% aware that 80º room temperature is pushing it with the Aegirs. I am also aware that Schiit is unambiguous about the fact that active cooling might be required at room temperatures of 30º Science (~86º Freedom) or above. That is NOT my point. :)
My point is that one of them trips about once or twice a week, regardless of what is playing, at which volume, or whether something is playing at all, regardless of room temperature, and regardless of whether I place it in the left or in the right channel, while the other one never has, and whether this is within "normal" behavior for Aegirs or whether it is something I should worry about because it would indicate an issue with the one that trips. (Or even the one that doesn't trip while it should technically do so?!)

Just wanted to pick your guys' brains before I start nagging Schiit's support about this. It happens often enough to raise an eye brow, but not often enough to actually bother me enough to make me want to send this Aegir in. I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring/procrastinating on something that might turn out to be potentially fatal for the amp down the road.
Contact technical support.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #82,312 of 150,453

A few more details:

I'm sorry that you're having shutdown issues with your Aegir's in mono mode. I can't explain why one would trip earlier than the other.

But I did notice that you mentioned that your Q950's are 8 ohms. KEF themselves states 8 ohms nominal, 3.2 ohms minimum. Your speakers are in fact 3.2 ohms. I couldn't find an impedance curve, but I would guess that the 3.2 dip is somewhere in the bass region, this is fairly normal. Manufacturers misrepresenting speaker specifications is fairly normal too.

It doesn't answer your question or solve your problem, but I would be curious how the Aegir that shuts off early would perform in stereo mode? Assuming that the sensitivity specifications are accurate, your speakers are fairly sensitive. A single Aegir should be able to power your speakers to at least "medium" levels. If the single Aegir functions without out shutting down as quickly as it does in mono mode, it might let one know if the 3.2 ohms is a real issue or not.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #82,313 of 150,453
Sep 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #82,314 of 150,453
I have an Uber. I always thought it was Buy-frost until this forum told me it was Beef-rost.

Is the person that speak Viking still here?
I'm afraid that I only speak Norwegian and not Icelandic, which is the closest living language to Old Norse. And you're right, in Norwegian it would be pronounced Beef-rost. Having said that, I usually refer to it as the Buy-frost. Too much time living on this side of the pond...

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #82,315 of 150,453
I have always thought of it as the Bee-frost rather than Beef-rost or Buy-frost myself..
I love these names, there’re so many possibilities. I always liked the Asgard (ass-guard) myself, and when I realised it, PYST (pissed) :ksc75smile:

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #82,317 of 150,453
Thanks to @myquealer my Sol arms are now nicely tucked away in this 3D printed rack and at hand to be swapped.
I have to make a second print with some small corrections. The distance between the shell grips is too close for my taste.
Thanks for sending the design file. :sunglasses:

arms.jpg

head shell.jpg

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #82,319 of 150,453
I'm afraid that I only speak Norwegian and not Icelandic, which is the closest living language to Old Norse. And you're right, in Norwegian it would be pronounced Beef-rost. Having said that, I usually refer to it as the Buy-frost. Too much time living on this side of the pond...
If i should guess. Bi-frost
Edit: from wikipedia:

«biv-råst»
"bi-frost".

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #82,320 of 150,453
I have always thought of it as the Bee-frost rather than Beef-rost or Buy-frost myself..
I love these names, there’re so many possibilities. I always liked the Asgard (ass-guard) myself, and when I realised it, PYST (pissed) :ksc75smile:
Spelled wrong. Correct: åsgard.
Not ass at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back