Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #80,671 of 152,850
Don't worry about that. We'll go extinct way before any of that Schiit
happens.
Would not be surprising at all, heh.

Just a tip for any newcomers to the thread, but once you have your Schiit DAC plugged into your Windows 10 PC, don't forget to go Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound, and then under Sound, select Manage audio devices. On the Playback tab, select your Schiit DAC, click on Properties, then on the Advanced tab, and in the Default format, click on the drop down and select 32 bit, 19200 Hz (Studio Quality). This provides a noticeable improvement from the default setting.
I always pick 24 bit (because that's what it actually operates at) and 44.1 kHz (because I mainly play Spotify), no need for Windows to resample stuff instead of / in addition to Schiit's finely crafted filters. For videos I might choose 48 kHz. In conjunction with Amazon Music HD I'd pick 192 kHz, too, just so it can actually pick the best quality available.
But if you have Tidal or Qobuz, use 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz on the OS level, and let Tidal or Qobuz use exclusive mode so that the app can send exactly the right sample rate of a given track to the DAC.

But maybe you prefer Windows upsampling stuff to 192 kHz, and then the DAC upsampling it to 384 kHz. In that case you do you!

With the Modi Multibit and the old Bifrost 192 kHz means no additional oversampling in the DAC ("NOS").
With Schiit's delta sigma DACs I don't think custom filters are employed (happy to stand corrected), so maybe the upsampling in Windows does a better job than what the DAC does, but I try to avoid multiple resampling steps when I can.

Which Schiit DACs have you tried so that you can proclaim that it sounds better with all of them?

And this is exactly how many companies fail -- they lose focus on what made them successful to begin with.
Quite possible. However, Schiit was proudly made in the US - until they couldn't use that term anymore because for some things like resistors there is nothing US made available.

Schiit is old school hi-fi, so it might be nice to actually have old school tubes available that sound good.

Schiit is about sound quality, so they picked AKM over ESS until the AKM factory burned down, soonish we'll see the first Schiit devices with the same ESS DACs everyone else uses.

Schiit also looks different than most other gear, powder coating loses some of that character.

The more of that they lose, the more they lose what made them successful to begin with - in my opinion.

But again, there's little reason to believe that if others cannot operate such businesses in the US profitably, Schiit could. So it's probably best not to try. I just like the imaginary scenario where it does work out, and Schiit triumphs instead of being mostly helpless victims of circumstances.

Let's hope ESS has more than one factory.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #80,673 of 152,850
I have only tried with the Modi and the Modius. I have to admit I didn't try all the options, just modified from the default. As you point out, there may be better options still :wink:
So only delta sigma DACs without Schiit's proprietary filter. In that case I am less offended by your sacrilege. Carry on. :floatsmile:

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #80,674 of 152,850
Aug 21, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #80,679 of 152,850
And this is exactly how many companies fail -- they lose focus on what made them successful to begin with.
That was part of a recent Chapter, as well. @Jason Stoddard is a believer in doing what you do, and hiring the rest out to competent and reliable partners so they can do what they do.

Sorry @Ableza, I don't remember which Chapter, or I'd post a link...

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #80,680 of 152,850
I like whatever color(s) @macdonjh doesn't. No arguing over that. :smile::sweat_smile:
No arguing over colors from me. I've stated what I like, noted my preference will make no difference whatsoever in Schiit's business plan, and will move on now.

I do thank @Jason Stoddard for the lesson in manufacturing. I spent a pretty enjoyable summer working at a company making stereo gear (got a good piece of kit for not much money, too). We "repaired" damaged wood cabinets by painting them. We also "repaired" some metal parts by painting them, but I think they were steel parts. I don't remember what we did with damaged aluminum.

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #80,681 of 152,850
Are those the fans for your bitchin' GPU bitcoin mining stack in the background? :wink:
Kinda the opposite: burners of our stove. I planned to use them if my new computer didn't work right...

Note: being in TX now, we don't use the stove anymore, only the smoker and grill. We keep the stove around in case @bcowen comes by so we can whip up some NC BBQ in a pinch.

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #80,684 of 152,850
If those whom I love are no longer with me, then no.

If you were Juan Sánchez Villalobos Ramírez, you could have past loves and new loves. But he was considered a Spanish peacock by some, so that may not be for you.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #80,685 of 152,850
Kinda the opposite: burners of our stove. I planned to use them if my new computer didn't work right...

Note: being in TX now, we don't use the stove anymore, only the smoker and grill. We keep the stove around in case @bcowen comes by so we can whip up some NC BBQ in a pinch.
Drats. I thought you kept it to fire up the still for some good NC 'shine. Think I'll go visit @Roy G. Biv instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back