Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 30, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #80,118 of 150,712
NA Miata crew! Mine isn't pretty enough for pictures, basically just a track rat...
Mine is not looking its best right now (hardtop and less time driving since working from home), but the stereo is great. DSP and time alignment, 10" sub in passenger footwell

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #80,119 of 150,712
I asked this question in the Vali 2 tube rolling thread, but that thread doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic.

Does anyone know if the 9 pin in the tube socket is grounded or left un-wired (as is sort of common in modern circuits)? I'm planning on rolling tubes to see if shielded tubes (6CG7 for example) have an effect vs. unshielded (6FQ7 for example), but it all depends if the shield is grounded through the 9 pin.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #80,120 of 150,712
Hey friends! If anyone is around this evening at 6:30 pm PT I will be hosting a live stream discussing my first impressions on the Schiit Lokius! Hope to see you there!

Hey checked out your channel. Please be mindful of your intro music volume, some of us use headphones ☠️

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 7.43.01 PM.png

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #80,121 of 150,712
And they should leave these "features" out.
Any individual person can add "features" to the music on his phone, tablet, car stereo or home audio system as they desire, but please don't force it upon on everyone without the ability to turn it off. Not only popular music is compressed nowadays.
A very rational idea. Unfortunately sound engineers, mastering engineers, equipment gizmo engineers--the list is very long-- their livelihoods depend on the whole recorded music system believing that they (and only they) are adding value to the recorded music listening experience when they do things like that. One sad thing is that they are entrenched between the music makers and the music listeners.
A while back I realized that a lot business involves people who figure out a way to get in-between other people doing business. These in-betweeners position themselves with their hands out to getting a cut or required fee.
If you've ever bought a house you know all about that.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #80,122 of 150,712
One of my best friends was one of the mastering engineers a Future Disc back in the 2000s. He mastered some great recordings like B-Tribe, Depeche Mode, Strunz and Farah, and some serious gangster rap. He ultimately quit mastering because he wasn't willing to master to the loudness wars. Kind of sad for the entire industry!

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #80,123 of 150,712
A while back I realized that a lot business involves people who figure out a way to get in-between other people doing business. These in-betweeners position themselves with their hands out to getting a cut or required fee.

Like when a company wants to control every aspect of the business but all they really add is a blue light? That example is only hypothetical of course...

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #80,124 of 150,712
Mine is not looking its best right now (hardtop and less time driving since working from home), but the stereo is great. DSP and time alignment, 10" sub in passenger footwell
The benefits of time alignment are amazing.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #80,126 of 150,712
Well, duh! Of course they are! Or why do you think Mike spends so much effort perfecting the time domain?!? Gotta align the Schiit out of that time thing, man! 😁

A timely observation.

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #80,128 of 150,712
Jul 31, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #80,129 of 150,712
Here’s an interesting observation. Yesterday I was listening through my new Yggy and it occurred to me that my bass wasn’t sounding good. I have open baffle servo subs covering around 200Hz to 20 Hz. After a few different songs I thought about possibilities and then remembered I could try adjusting the phase on my sub amps. Boom! That did it! Its crazy that I hadn’t noticed it before with other dacs but Yggy is so damn transparent that it quickly became obvious. Pretty neat.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #80,130 of 150,712
One of my best friends was one of the mastering engineers a Future Disc back in the 2000s. He mastered some great recordings like B-Tribe, Depeche Mode, Strunz and Farah, and some serious gangster rap. He ultimately quit mastering because he wasn't willing to master to the loudness wars. Kind of sad for the entire industry!
Strunz and Farah Live is one of my go recordings when checking out new equipment. It a shame your friend quit... But I respect his reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back