Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 27, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #80,026 of 151,653
Ah, a topic that I have a lot of experience with. My first car was a '53 MGTD. Very fun but I broke just about every piece of it that can break (crank, cam, suspension, leaf springs, tranny, etc.). Then I moved on to a Datsun 510, lowered, stiffened, flared fenders, wide low profile wheels, it was a great road car. Later I bought a new '95 Nissan 240SX. What a great sliding machine that was. After that I upgraded to an '06 WRX. This is maybe the best all around street car that I have ever driven - dollar for dollar. Zero to 60 in 5.6 seconds, corners really well, and passes anyone at just about any speed in the safest manner possible - quickly.

I can honestly say that I would not put a V8 in an MGB GT since it will never handle again. But if you are after reliability to just tool around then I suppose it will work. Enjoy!

Jul 27, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #80,028 of 151,653
Question about Lokius:

I understand internally it is single ended, but if I give it a real balanced signal (one phase inverted w.r.t. the other), will it output a real balanced signal?
It will convert it to single ended since the filters are single ended. Then it is converted and output as both single ended and balanced.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #80,029 of 151,653
Ah, a topic that I have a lot of experience with. My first car was a '53 MGTD. Very fun but I broke just about every piece of it that can break (crank, cam, suspension, leaf springs, tranny, etc.). Then I moved on to a Datsun 510, lowered, stiffened, flared fenders, wide low profile wheels, it was a great road car. Later I bought a new '95 Nissan 240SX. What a great sliding machine that was. After that I upgraded to an '06 WRX. This is maybe the best all around street car that I have ever driven - dollar for dollar. Zero to 60 in 5.6 seconds, corners really well, and passes anyone at just about any speed in the safest manner possible - quickly.

I can honestly say that I would not put a V8 in an MGB GT since it will never handle again. But if you are after reliability to just tool around then I suppose it will work. Enjoy!
My first car was a 61 MGA. It looked great. It had amazing technology was very advanced. That car always know how much money I had in the bank.

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #80,030 of 151,653
A Magnius with only SE out and 5W/32ohm would be nice.
don`t need lokius, maximus and other toys

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #80,034 of 151,653
Oh, I know. It's just that we took a tour of Golondrinas and they kept saying over and over again how Santa Fe was built on a cienega, or "marsh."

See here, Santa Fe is actually wetlands. Not arid at all :)

https://santafebotanicalgarden.org/visit-leonora-curtin-wetland-preserve/

Looks like a desert to me (a lot like Arizona, actually). Can't argue with the history. Maybe someone drank all the water.

I'll have to dig deeper. La Cienega is several miles from the plaza, down the hill so to speak.

Santa Fe used to be a Native American Pueblo until the conquistadors showed up, the old Tiwa name translates as "White Shell Water Place." In the mountains around here one can find old seashells from when this was the bottom of an ocean, or sea.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #80,035 of 151,653
First "real" performance care was a 1972 TR6 - blast to drive, although constant syncing of dual stromberg carbs, along with topping off rear knee shocks with 30W oil......

1972_triumph_tr6_1553599961dbffabbf21-1-e1553622617950.jpg
I always liked the TR6 and was tempted to get one, but they are pretty impractical, and now very expensive.
In the UK they had fuel injection instead of the twin carbs, and produced about 25 bhp more than the US version.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #80,036 of 151,653

The alloy 3.5litre V8 works very well in MGB GT as it weighs no more than the original 1800 cc cast iron lump in the standard BGT.
The V8 MGB GT was a proper production car although only a few thousand were produced.
https://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/csc-features/mgb-gt-v8-the-greatest-unsung-mg
Handling is pretty good....for a '70s car!

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #80,037 of 151,653
Some of what we're going through (consider that I'm more scarce around here, not because I want to be, but because I have to be--things continue crazy):

1. PCBs--specifically Gungnir Analog--went from 6 weeks to 20 weeks. When we asked, we were told about 8 weeks in it would be late. Then at 12. Then at 18.
2. DACs--specifically Gungnir DACs--went from 8-10 weeks to 26-40 weeks. We knew about the long lead going in (back in October 2020!), but, as you might expect, it was 18 and then 20 and then 26 and then 35 and then 40.
3. We are still dealing with the AKM fallout--specifically, Hel and Fulla demand pulled these into ESS territory faster than expected. Dealing with the back and forth of getting those up and running without issues is nontrivial. Plus the module. Plus Modius. Plus, eventually, Modi.
4. Our PCB assembly house--our primary one, the one we've been working with for 10 years--got super far behind this year. As in, months behind. This was not expected. I will not go into detail on their internal/external/unavoidable/maybe-avoidable/who-friggin-cares-stop-pointing-fingers problems, because that's not necessary. However, that's why we're now working with 4 different companies for PCB assembly.
5. Our primary orders@schiit.com communications person went out for health reasons indefinitely and unexpectedly. Which is why we've just hired a high-level person to take on this duty, and to architect communications in the way she best sees fit. She's a customer service veteran and professional, and it's a needed step forward for us.
6. We've had the heaviest demand and biggest backorders ever this year, and, as with #4 and #5, we didn't just sit around and wail--we put in a backorders triage person/distributor communication person, who identified what we could address, and we all worked together to address it. We reorganized to dramatically increase output and quality of our amplifier line--we were in stock for the first time since inception for about a month, but due to high demand, we're back out of stock again. This reorganization will also positively impact Gungnir and Yggdrasil when they are available again. And, finally, we started shipping more than Magni and Modi to distributors, thanks to all of this effort, this month.

So what does this mean for Gungnir and Yggdrasil? Gungnir analog boards are all we need to start shipping again. First articles are imminent. We should be able to start shipping again soon--noting that all sorts of wacky stuff can happen, and "soon" is open to interpretation. Yggdrasil we need analogs and motherboards. I saw analog first articles last week, and we're supposed to be getting motherboard first articles this week. Again, note the "supposed to be" and disclaimers about other shortages/unexpected people out/alien invasions/zombie apocalypses/all of the above.

So. Yeah. I hear you. We're working on getting better at shipping and communicating. I thought everything would be sorted by midyear. It looks like it'll take a bit longer...but we'll keep working on it, and we'll keep getting better.
I’ve read a few posts about orders@schiit.com and wanted to add my recent purchase and customer support experiences to the list (spoiler alert - a lot of interactions over the last few months and I was very happy with how they all turned out):
  • Early May I emailed both info@schiit and orders@schiit about getting some direction on how to best proceed with a few items I wanted to purchase. They replied respectively within 24 hours (it was during the week) and subsequent replies to my questions and clarifications followed the same turnaround time, sometimes quicker
  • Order 1 - I ordered a Vidar and Freya + on May 11th (ETA 2-4 weeks and 4-6 weeks respectively)
    • 4 weeks later, they both show up at my door step
  • Order 2 - Also on May 11th I ordered a Bifrost 2 (ETA 2-4 weeks). Without getting into the details of why, it made sense that it was ordered separately from the above order (I.e. I made it complicated)
    • This arrives 8 weeks later. Ouch? Actually no, again that’s on me, I made it complicated
  • Order 3 - Two weeks after I ordered the Bifrost, I saw a b-stock Jotunheim 2 pop up and jumped on it
    • A few days later, Schiit emailed me asking if I was certain about my Jotunheim 2 order… it was a 230v, and I live in Canada. Ok lesson learned, wow (they caught that), thank you, please cancel, and all was well
  • Order 4 - The day after I received my Freya + and Vidar, I ordered a new Jotunheim 2 along with a few misc. b-stock items. Yes, my hope for a b-stock 115v Jotunheim 2 had dwindled, so I figured, get the ball rolling. ETA, 4-6 weeks
  • Order 5 - B-stock Jotunheim 2 appears - score on Canada Day! I contact orders@schiit to ask about what can be done about Order 4, hoping it can be cancelled altogether (I.e. shipping costs to Canada wouldn’t have made sense for the misc.)
    • Next day reply confirms no problem, cancelled AND… an unsolicited update on my Bifrost order (nearly double the originally estimated 4 weeks had passed by then)
    • A little back and forth later over the next few days, inclusive of a Independence Day weekend, and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out with my Bifrost in hand just in time before I left for my vacation - and all because the Schiit team went above and beyond (@Jason Stoddard - shout out to Kaitie especially!)

My point: I had to add this post for the record. I was happy with the results, given the circumstances, but also feel pretty lucky given the feedback of many others experiencing it differently than I.

In the end, i love Schiit. They may not always be perfect, but the value in it’s product (and service), has been incredible - at least to me thus far. Cheers @Jason Stoddard , Mike and the Schiit team for trying to do the right thing (IMHO)!

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #80,038 of 151,653
Is it possible to tap 16-44.1 from ps4 usb to my Hel 2?
Ps4 support spotify and plex.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #80,039 of 151,653
It will convert it to single ended since the filters are single ended. Then it is converted and output as both single ended and balanced.

I don't know if this is accurate, which is why I'm asking. "Converted" suggests a real balanced signal at the output, and an appropriate summer or like circuit at the input.

Jason posted something a few pages back that made me believe that the Lokius just ignores half of the balanced signal (i.e., takes the positive and ignores the negative on the input and provides the signal on the positive at the output but grounds the negative). This is why I'm asking if the output provides a real balanced signal (i.e., two versions of the output signal inverted), because it's not clear to me.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #80,040 of 151,653
I don't know if this is accurate, which is why I'm asking. "Converted" suggests a real balanced signal at the output, and an appropriate summer or like circuit at the input.

Jason posted something a few pages back that made me believe that the Lokius just ignores half of the balanced signal (i.e., takes the positive and ignores the negative on the input and provides the signal on the positive at the output but grounds the negative). This is why I'm asking if the output provides a real balanced signal (i.e., two versions of the output signal inverted), because it's not clear to me.
I thought I was fairly clear that it uses both phases of the input, and provides both phases at the output. It's really balanced in/out, it's just not balanced internally. Like a lot of pro gear.

Also on the website:

Even more tech. Is this thing really balanced?
It’s balanced and differential in and out, uses both phases in, and provides both differential phases out. However, EQ processing is done with a single-ended buffer and gain stage.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back