Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #79,996 of 149,685
Just reading MGB GT made my heart skip a beat!

Of course, now I've got this tune running through my head!

Thanks for reminding me of that song @33na3rd :relaxed:
I have been lucky to see Richard Thompson play live many times, often in small venues.
Here's another of his gems with a motoring theme; this time the two- wheel variety...

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #79,997 of 149,685
PXL_20210727_171606943.jpg

workbench shot, the two black sheep came in today, want to test the bifrost out a bit before going insane turning EQ knobs all night ><

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #79,998 of 149,685

workbench shot, the two black sheep came in today, want to test the bifrost out a bit before going insane turning EQ knobs all night ><
Aw man, what have you done? We can't call that a Schiit Stack, or a Pile 'o Schiit. What do we call it?

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #79,999 of 149,685

Hmm.

That makes me wonder.

Is Schiit's fanless thermal management compromised if you run their gear on end like that? Or does using the case as a heatsink mean it's no problem?

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #80,000 of 149,685
Just reading MGB GT made my heart skip a beat!

Of course, now I've got this tune running through my head!

I had. teal blue B-GT as my first car. I asked my dad for a loan 'Bugger off and earn it, like I had to." was the response.

It was great car to just leave parked for a long deployment and have it start up again when you got back. Had some good adventures in that :wink:

I do, very occasionally, lust after classic cars. Then I look at the performance, comfort and cost of today's cars and smile. It's similar to why I ended ups with the Corvette rather than my lifelong lust for an Aston. Even a modern Aston is hardly a practical everyday car. Sadly.

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #80,001 of 149,685
Aw man, what have you done? We can't call that a Schiit Stack, or a Pile 'o Schiit. What do we call it?

hah well thats not plugged in, but it's 90% likely the valhalla and bifrost will be vertical since that's how I always have the V (need to see how much noise the Lokius generates first, if it needs to be tucked away)

edit: SCHKYLINE? SCHIITYSCAPE? 🏙️💩

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #80,002 of 149,685
Hmm.

That makes me wonder.

Is Schiit's fanless thermal management compromised if you run their gear on end like that? Or does using the case as a heatsink mean it's no problem?
I can't speak for Schiit but my guess is it will not burn up but will likely run warmer if used like that.

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #80,005 of 149,685
Hmm.

That makes me wonder.

Valhalla has air holes in the sides (and I'm using tube risers) so its probably thermally better off than stock, will have to test out the rest tonight (bifrost is cool by comparison so not worried about that one)

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #80,006 of 149,685
I had. teal blue B-GT as my first car. I asked my dad for a loan 'Bugger off and earn it, like I had to." was the response.

It was great car to just leave parked for a long deployment and have it start up again when you got back. Had some good adventures in that :wink:

I do, very occasionally, lust after classic cars. Then I look at the performance, comfort and cost of today's cars and smile. It's similar to why I ended ups with the Corvette rather than my lifelong lust for an Aston. Even a modern Aston is hardly a practical everyday car. Sadly.
I also owned an original MGB GT ( a 1971 model)
It was fairly reliable, but had lots of quirks, and certainly wasn't fast even back when I owned it, in about 1985.

Most 'classic car' purchases are pretty irrational ( in my opinion). A bit like some audio gear...
I know people who have owned Astons, old and new. Beautiful cars, especially the older ones like DB4 and DB5, but pretty slow and certainly not practical.
New ones like the DBS are stunning and quick but ruinously expensive, for most people anyway, and notoriously unreliable.

The 'new' BGT V8 won't be particularly fast but it's a compromise.
It will be a usable classic, reasonably economical , reliable and fast enough to be good fun to drive on winding country lanes here in England.
It will have about 180 bhp and do 0-60 in around 6 seconds.

Very tame compared with the new Corvette, which looks like a fantastic car!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #80,008 of 149,685
Back in the early 80's I helped a Navy shipmate convert a Triumph TR6 using a Buick aluminum 215-V8 (which became the Rover V8) and Muncie 4-speed. Great little street drag car but don't try to turn - or stop in any reasonable distance. :) An MGBGT could eat his lunch because it COULD turn.

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #80,009 of 149,685
If I had a soul to sell it would be for a pair of (active) Avant Guarde Horns. I heard them at a High End Audio store a couple years back and they were the only speakers that warranted the car-like price. Plus they are quite gorgeous…

They are stunning looking speakers. I have pre-approved the Avantgarde Zeros with my girlfriend in case I run into a sensible priced used pair.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #80,010 of 149,685

Users who are viewing this thread

Back