Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 7, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #79,126 of 149,270
@Stevko, looks like if you can verify the electrical path is still intact, a 3D printed form could be placed around the plugs/ prongs and the whole mess potted with epoxy.

I'd like 10%...

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #79,127 of 149,270
One project in particular has been super interesting, resulting in me having to go back to some very basic stuff (in the discrete world) to see how performance is affected by some extremely subtle and esoteric changes.

Cryogenically Frozen Unicorn Tears.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #79,129 of 149,270
Schiit's Sol was not available in the UK, (and nowhere else either, from what Jason has recently said), so buying one was never an option for me.
It was not available outside the US, but you could order it directly from the US, as I did (with an extra arm).
I guess I'm the only person having a Sol up and running in a 230V 50 Hz grid country. Anyone else?
It was a challenge to get it working properly. It took me a few months and some failures to get there, but I managed and love the result.
I could even compensate for the slight RPM error by tweaking the frequency. I ended up with 60.34 Hz instead of 60 Hz to get the right RPM.
The frequency regulator and 230-110V converter is in the fuse box with a special colored cable to my gear in the living room that feeds a unique outlet in the house that supplies 110V 60 Hz for the Sol.

IMG-20201109-WA0002.jpg

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #79,130 of 149,270
Personally, I like the bullet-proof, and beautifully engineered Technics turntables; so much so that I've bought a SL1200G, at less than a fifth of the price of the Solstice
With the Sol up and running, my Technics SL 1000 with Goldmund platter and EMT 929 tone arm is now up for sale. :)

s-l400.jpg
DSC_3920b.jpg.1517241536790b8baf7eb9a8e75ed1bc.jpg

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #79,131 of 149,270
And I've toasted bread using 1KW theater fixtures before. I've also used them to warm pizza and burgers. Too many years working backstage without a meal break.

I used to cook sausages by wrapping them in tinfoil and burying them in a pile of fresh asphalt back when I worked in an asphalt factory.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #79,133 of 149,270
That’s quite the statement.
Yet 100% true.
On top of that, the price I will likely get for the TT and arm wil pay for Urd and a set of Tyr's.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #79,135 of 149,270
one that uses old 1000W theater lamps to burn a library of custom-cut gobos onto your bread of choice, while simultaneously using a 12 megapixel camera array to optimize exposure for varying sugar levels in the target
Okay, I am intrigued by this product and would like to submit a pre-order.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #79,136 of 149,270
I must have scored the Reflektor high in most areas at the time, it is more like in which areas did other tubes rate higher or lower or the same. It is more about accurately covering the entire audio spectrum and not lacking in bass mids and highs, separation, soundstage, etc. We use music especially recorded to show off the traits we are looking for and at times we use the same system with a group of fifty. When all is done a tube might rate as much as 100, (it has not happened yet) but scores in the high nineties have been recorded. I believe all three types scored well and maybe you like more bass, or airiness, or advanced mids so it still boils down to what you like with your music. :L3000: I have a hard time finding tubes that match up well with Focal Utopias, often the high frequencies are lacking, not so much with Reflektors IMHO.

Someone else mentioned Brimars, I merely said my favorite was the 1975 silver shields.
Is there a guide on how to adapt tubes to safely use them in a 6SN7 preamp or a 6BZ7? I'm interested in sources that let me (as a complete idiot, you will recall I smoked a Freya) take a step by step approach towards some of the tubes mentioned here.

Cheers

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #79,138 of 149,270
Is there a guide on how to adapt tubes to safely use them in a 6SN7 preamp or a 6BZ7? I'm interested in sources that let me (as a complete idiot, you will recall I smoked a Freya) take a step by step approach towards some of the tubes mentioned here.

Cheers
I do not know of any such guide. Most of us check filament current and other specs to be sure the tubes are comparable to the original. Some are pretty obvious like using single triode pairs in place of dual triodes with the same specs. I am doing less and less on substitutions though, if a device is designed for a 6SN7 there are plenty of choices out there.😜 Some amps are designed to take multiple types of tubes, 6 and 12 v filament etc., kind of a Swiss army knife approach where I prefer well made tools to do a specific job but that is just me.

While I do not choose to try adaptors for some tubes I probably spend more time trying to help @bcowen not destroy devices with some of his choices. My replies to him usually start with the words "Are you nuts????" and go on from there. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #79,139 of 149,270
@Jason Stoddard Do you think you guys might completely rethink the Freya or even create a new Preamp? I really enjoy my tubes but I do not plan to buy anything with tubes in the near future. The cost and scarcity are definitely making me reconsider my set up. I don’t think I could ever get rid of my MJ2 but the Freya tube prices are scaring me away from rolling any new tubes.

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #79,140 of 149,270
I do not know of any such guide. Most of us check filament current and other specs to be sure the tubes are comparable to the original. Some are pretty obvious like using single triode pairs in place of dual triodes with the same specs. I am doing less and less on substitutions though, if a device is designed for a 6SN7 there are plenty of choices out there.😜 Some amps are designed to take multiple types of tubes, 6 and 12 v filament etc., kind of a Swiss army knife approach where I prefer well made tools to do a specific job but that is just me.

While I do not choose to try adaptors for some tubes I probably spend more time trying to help @bcowen not destroy devices with some of his choices. My replies to him usually start with the words "Are you nuts????" and go on from there. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:
That would seem to be appropriate for me too - given my history!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back