Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #78,196 of 150,589
. It says more than deep electronic bass.
I think that all depends on the types of music you like, and what you want your system to do well.

Myself I like vocals and bass (depth, strength, texture).

I will need to check out spoken word, I dont have much of that on my lists, except for some lou reed and bobby d.

I like to include some eminem and rihanna on my test tracks... I have fat white ears, and struggle with other dialects or languages... those two sing/rap/talk so quickly, I need a fast system to hear them. LRSs and planar hps have excelled at this for my ears.... I also have a few Van Morrison tracks because he can be a fast mumbler.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #78,197 of 150,589
I also find errors in printed books and magazines, though. We used to be better than this. There are lots of reasons, but many of them are political, so I will stay off my soap box. I also understand many errors can be attributed to:
  1. non-native speakers of English (I really appreciate your using English, I'd be embarrassed to attempt your language, whatever it is)
  2. auto-correct for spelling
  3. typing on a phone for spelling and using the wrong punctuation
Aging of the literate population is one reason.

Another is grammar check, spell check, and the like I believe contribute greatly to the decline. Can you imagine trying to explain to a 12 year old why s/he should practice spelling?

Politics? It's a society wide decline politics has little to do with it.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #78,198 of 150,589
I also find errors in printed books and magazines, though. We used to be better than this. There are lots of reasons, but many of them are political, so I will stay off my soap box. I also understand many errors can be attributed to:
  1. non-native speakers of English (I really appreciate your using English, I'd be embarrassed to attempt your language, whatever it is)

Don't they have copy-editors for books and magazines?

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #78,199 of 150,589
Looks like two vidar side to side with two heat sinks. (I think our legs are being pulled for some reason but I can't see why or how).
did look like one hefty xformer and an equally hefty iron choke… (edited wrt the choke and not another xformer, my bad)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #78,200 of 150,589
Aging of the literate population is one reason.

Another is grammar check, spell check, and the like I believe contribute greatly to the decline. Can you imagine trying to explain to a 12 year old why s/he should practice spelling?

Politics? It's a society wide decline politics has little to do with it.
I managed engineers for 20+ years. Engineers are never known for great writing skills. But with the people born after 1980 or so there was a change. "I ran the computer program" and "I will run the computer program" and "the computer program was run" all became mixed up. "The computer program was ran" became the norm, or "I need to ran the computer program." These were smart people from good universities. I tried to change them and I could not. A friend who is an English professor told me that "English is becoming non standard."

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #78,201 of 150,589
The first time I experienced "Texas Pete" was during a long layover in Raleigh, NC about 5 years ago. I wondered why I'd never heard of them, now I know why. :smile_phones:

The hot sauce for most of my life had been Tabasco, and I still very much enjoy the jalapeño (green) Tabasco sauce on my eggs.

My world changed for the better when I was introduced to Cholula 20-ish years ago. All of their hot sauces are phenomenal.

For those who missed the context of @Ripper2860's "get a rope" comment -

I like Cholula, Texas Pete, and Tabaso(all, esp Chipotle), but my go-to is Crystal, always…

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #78,203 of 150,589
I managed engineers for 20+ years. Engineers are never known for great writing skills. But with the people born after 1980 or so there was a change. "I ran the computer program" and "I will run the computer program" and "the computer program was run" all became mixed up. "The computer program was ran" became the norm, or "I need to ran the computer program." These were smart people from good universities. I tried to change them and I could not. A friend who is an English professor told me that "English is becoming non standard."
Starting in the 1970s, my new hire engineers were taught by me that the most powerful tool in their engineer's toolbox was the ball point pen. I drilled these neophytes to understand that if they could not communicate their accomplishments/achievements/results or conclusions to a problem solution in a comprehensible form; they should pack their bags and abandon engineering as an occupation. Only one ever did.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #78,204 of 150,589
Starting in the 1970s, my new hire engineers were taught by me that the most powerful tool in their engineer's toolbox was the ball point pen. I drilled these neophytes to understand that if they could not communicate their accomplishments/achievements/results or conclusions to a problem solution in a comprehensible form; they should pack their bags and abandon engineering as an occupation. Only one ever did.
I tried my best, I did. Some got better, a few got a lot better. But after a certain year they cannot conjugate verbs. That age has moved into management now, it won't be career limiting.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #78,205 of 150,589
I like Cholula, Texas Pete, and Tabasco (all, esp Chipotle), but my go-to is Crystal, always…
Like beer, I enjoy trying local sauces. With regard to nationally available sauces my favorite brand is Cholula, but I will happily eat anything made by Tabasco and Crystal is nice as well.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #78,206 of 150,589
Looks like two vidar side to side with two heat sinks. (I think our legs are being pulled for some reason but I can't see why or how).
+1 about that "Tyr prototype" not being two Vidars bolted together as a cruel joke. PCB has green soldermask, not red like Schiit's production products are. Two very large E-I core magnetics (one a transformer, the other a choke), but very closely spaced, and two sets of 4-capacitor banks (different than Vidar). Tyr being Continuity & Nexus makes sense and feasible as a production product (extrapolating some of the design engineerese in Jason's older posts about vidar, aegir, rag2, jot2, asgard3).

Mike was also all smiles about the Choke power supply. Adding the input choke should increase the conduction angle of the rectifier bridges, and lower the higher order power line harmonics / improve the noise floor. Don't stack (low level) components above or below the Tyrs because of the large magnetic stray fields.

(Also not April fool's day.)

$3K/pair considered cheap for something that could be a future stereophile / absolute sound Class A Recommended Components candidate. If either or both of these review favorably, then no doubt the demand will be high.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #78,207 of 150,589
If you guys go back and watch the live stream you’ll see Jason says one is a Transformer and the other is a choke.

I’ll be honest I didn’t really understand the benefits of a choke so asked on the live steam and Jason / Mike gave some info.

I did a bit more reading on them here: https://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/chokes-explained#

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #78,208 of 150,589
I tried my best, I did. Some got better, a few got a lot better. But after a certain year they cannot conjugate verbs. That age has moved into management now, it won't be career limiting.
Someone sent me this yesterday.... covers this type of thing very well, math in this instance. Stay to the end!

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #78,209 of 150,589
$3K/pair considered cheap for something that could be a future stereophile / absolute sound Class A Recommended Components candidate. If either or both of these review favorably, then no doubt the demand will be very good.
The price seems insanely low but I'm not factoring in a/c costs. Also can we refer to a pair as Rex instead of Tyrs.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #78,210 of 150,589
I merely gave an old example and my area of expertise is not statistics. There are many newer examples out there. It could be jelly beans in a jar.
The example with a group of people and an ox may have been skewed if farmers were there who were used to such things. In other examples random people were chosen and the means or median answers were quite close

Generally what we do is a group effort and most of the people involved have backgrounds in engineering, music, mathematics, computer science, even the medical field. There are practical purposes involved I will only get into in PM. 😎

I was doing some blind testing with specific tubes on a small scale and several friends were curious if we could expand the testing, and how to go about that. It is not for everyone and it can be costly. If you have a better methodology by all means use it.😀 This is very specific but we did DAC testing in a similar manner. Once again we got to hear equipment that we could not walk into many showrooms and hear, and yes we did score them blind.

I am not one to say I hear this, and this equipment is better or worse so I like to get several people in the same situation and get multiple thoughts. When I designed the four amps friends said they liked them but I figured some were humoring me so I sent a sample on to folks on this site I have never met and got their reactions. It is just how I think.
One hopes that one’s friends have the chops to say what they think, but I do understand the social contract (if you will) to be complimentary or neutral. But the ”semi-blind” test with those you don’t know so well is a fascinating method. I like the way you roll there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back