Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #78,181 of 150,758
re: audio demo tracks. I like to ask the listener what their favorite music is and play that. Give them something they are familiar with - a reference point so to speak - otherwise it's all "too new" to make meaningful judgements.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #78,185 of 150,758
You mentioned before that your special recorded test tracks help showing off 20 (or was it 25) different criteria. Can you elaborate on that? Do you have a list of 20+ attributes that you and your test group grade for each amp or DAC or tube or whatever is being tested?
It is 25 with a high score on any criteria being 4, and yes I have the list but it has never been given out since it ties closely with the music used.

I personally do not want to get into a discussion of "why do you listen for this and not that, or why are tone and timbre treated separately.":ksc75smile: The number 20 may have come from that is how many DACS we tested once upon a time.

As far as DACS, I usually test with a Gungnir at home because I am used to it, I believe final tests of the 52 will be done with an Aqua La Voce S3 last I heard.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #78,186 of 150,758
Of course you can, because, there is difference in impedance, capacitance and inductance, therefor the way the gear on both end reacts can be different.
It has, however, nothing to do with price and looks. A cheap cable can very easily perform better in combination with your gear. The way to go is the best match regardless of price and looks, but hey, that doesn't impress visitors and fellow audiophiles, so no fun in that.

The problem mostly is the statements about high priced cables (there are no high-end cables, they don't exist) that they sound "way better", "night and day difference" and more of the like. That is a self fulfilling prophesy because you payed (way too) much money for it. Therefor it has to be great, or you are a fool in most people eyes. The trick to most so called high end gear, cables included, is price, looks and lots and lots of marketing nonsense. Pay attention to your transducers ( TT arm and cart, DAC and most important speakers) and the room, cables for any purpose are very very much in the margin, your money can be much better spend.
So glad that people like Jason and Mike are around to keep us sane in this mad audio world.
Remember Mike's saying: Don't spend money you don't have to impress people you don't like.
So we agree on that.
As I said. The only way for me to choose anything in the audio line is by listening and going for the one I like best.
You saw my audio set. The cables are mostly invisible to the visitors and difficult to view even when you try.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #78,187 of 150,758
I thought he was talking about high end audio reviewers...
Was he or was it a veiled reference to that which shall not be discussed? :thinking:

(I know. I was kidding! :smirk:)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #78,188 of 150,758
re: audio demo tracks. I like to ask the listener what their favorite music is and play that. Give them something they are familiar with - a reference point so to speak - otherwise it's all "too new" to make meaningful judgements.
Test tracks:

I think there is a place for them.

When we would complete a home speaker repair, set up new components in the sound room, set up a new car audio system, we would use a test track to check for specific things. We used the "Coustic/Sheffield Labs disc", many focal disks and the Chesky two disk sampler and they were a tool for specific uses.

Music we like:

It is also a good idea to test some of "your" music with any equipment you are evaluating.

Personally, I use Fleetwood Mac "The Chain", "Goldust Woman", Paul Simon "Call Me Al", Jeff Buckley, "Grace", Cowboy Junkies, Dire Straits, and a whole bunch of other stuff I know and enjoy because that's what I'll be listening to and why I keep buying Schiit...

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #78,191 of 150,758
Test tracks:

I think there is a place for them.

When we would complete a home speaker repair, set up new components in the sound room, set up a new car audio system, we would use a test track to check for specific things. We used the "Coustic/Sheffield Labs disc", many focal disks and the Chesky two disk sampler and they were a tool for specific uses.

Music we like:

It is also a good idea to test some of "your" music with any equipment you are evaluating.

Personally, I use Fleetwood Mac "The Chain", "Goldust Woman", Paul Simon "Call Me Al", Jeff Buckley, "Grace", Cowboy Junkies, Dire Straits, and a whole bunch of other stuff I know and enjoy because that's what I'll be listening to and why I keep buying Schiit...
very nice choices, IMHO.
Testing we do with my local group, many have heard our test tracks over and over and over. It is a bit of a closed group and we have a waiting list to get in. The music has been around a few years and we did use it with amps and transports before but on a smaller scale. Testing of this nature can take an entire weekend or longer so people have to be able to commit.

When it comes to 50 listeners, we always have a few new ones but they are given plenty of time to listen and adjust to the music. This year we may need more because of Covid and the long wait to get everyone together but I had a few exceptional candidates over last weekend so I do have choices.

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #78,192 of 150,758
That's an interesting list! You might want to throw some Yello into that mix too!
LOL I sent the technical list to a guy on here once and he was thought it was going to be some smooth music to sit back and enjoy. He was in for a bit of a shock. Checking out Yello now. :ksc75smile:

The track Till Tomorrow interests me, thanks 33

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #78,193 of 150,758
In fact spoken word and sung lyrics are a very good reference to grade your system.
The better the system, the easier you can understand the lyrics. It says more than deep electronic bass.

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #78,194 of 150,758
In fact spoken word and sung lyrics are a very good reference to grade your system.
The better the system, the easier you can understand the lyrics. It says more than deep electronic bass.
I dated a Speech Therapy major in college. Oftentimes when a new rock song came out the lyrics were not obvious, there was no internet to settle disputes about what the true lyrics were. But my girlfriend was trained to understand kids with serious speech impediments. She could listen to a rock song on any system, including a one-speaker mono car AM radio, and tell us exactly what had been said.

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #78,195 of 150,758
Well said, sir! The King James version is perhaps considered the first "authorize" translation of the original manuscripts from the Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek and perhaps Latin, if you will. I am no Biblical Scholar but then Jesus never said a degree was required for what he taught.

I do applaud your noticing that! Well done, indeed! I am listening to Wes Montgomery right now.

Thank you for noting the Aramaic and Latin as well. It is true, and kind of funny, that the King James version is considered by some to be the "original" Bible. Sort of analogous to considering Wes Montgomery (whom I love) as the original guitar player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back