Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #77,193 of 150,478
You talk as if such things are cost-neutral. A Vidar costs what, $699? I'll guess that the cost of a Vidar with stereo VU meters added, and of course in a new larger chassis to house them, would be at least $999. So is it worth 40% more for bouncy dials and otherwise the same performance?
Really? That much more? Wow...That is usurious to say the least. If I recall the OP of this excellent thread (and I see that said thread now goes waaaaay off tangent/topic with alarming and hilarious frequency now! :beerchug:) is against such add-ons. VU Meters are the eyes of equipment, the window if you will, to their IC soul. They are functional and they look really bitchin'. Like tubes glowing the dark do.

But fear not, I am confident that some here are just welcoming me with a dose of humor by requesting them. Just as I am relatively sure that a pair of VU Meters would not add $300 to the cost of a Vidar. Or a Vali of the Toad³. Or a Valhalla³. But looks do matter no matter what some might say. Appearance is pretty much the first thing we notice on anything. Not always, but nearly so.

As to going off topic (I brought it up, not you my friend!) I don't drink adult beverages but I think it's cool that those here that do speak of it with great enthusiasm. It makes me smile to read of their enjoyment of beer, ale, wine, etc. Two of my co-workers brew their own beer and another friend has, along with her husband, a restaurant that makes their own wine. My family enjoys that stuff. Their enjoying a beverage harms me not and to ensure no one is harmed, I am the perfect designated driver if one is needed.

May 23, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #77,194 of 150,478
You folks need to get thee sens to Yorkshire and drink (edit, not drive. One doesn't drink and drive) Theakston's Old Peculiar. Now there's a beer that doesn't travel well........
(admitting my ignorance of English geography) is Leeds in Yorkshire? I was in Leeds in the 1980's and believe I had an Old Peculiar. Would it have been the same? Memory is weak about those times but I do know most of the beers I tried in England and Scotland were good.

May 23, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #77,195 of 150,478
(admitting my ignorance of English geography) is Leeds in Yorkshire? I was in Leeds in the 1980's and believe I had an Old Peculiar. Would it have been the same? Memory is weak about those times but I do know most of the beers I tried in England and Scotland were good.
Yes, the city of Leeds is in Yorkshire. I went there once and once only for a meeting. I doubt I’ll be going back.

May 23, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #77,196 of 150,478
What is the real advantage of the balanced thing on an amp and a dac? If it looks cool and adds to the listening aspect I would one day try it but right now it looks like I would have to buy headphones and/or cables with different connections. I like cool looking cables but cannot afford real expensive and cool looking cables. There are no such connectors on my Valhalla 2 so I guess that having them on a Modius is for the future? I am nearing retirement in a few years. Also, I have to get a new toilet in an upstairs bathroom so a balanced checkbook comes before balanced cables. Heresy, I know. :ksc75smile:

I just had my Schiit password reset and apparently I did buy something there a couple of years ago for my son. A "Hel". It looks cool in the picture. I do not recall buying that.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #77,197 of 150,478
I won't lie, @LarryMagoo , I've been tempted to buy some PS kit to see what it's all about. They're a luxury item (like Schiit kit). I also like PS Audio's asthetics. Man cannot live on brushed aluminum, sharp corners, self-adhesive-rubber-feet-that-occassionally-fall-off, teeny-tiny-volume-knobs-that-I-yank-off-and-replace-with-microscope(weighted)-knobs, and clicky-clack-rear-facing-power-switches alone! :ksc75smile:
Fwiw, I have some PS Audio stuff in my system: a Stellar Phono preamp and a pair of M700 monoblocks. They sound very good - the phono preamp in particular makes my turntable sing (listening to it as I type). The m700s will change your mind about Class D if you’re willing to try.

May 23, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #77,198 of 150,478
You talk as if such things are cost-neutral. A Vidar costs what, $699? I'll guess that the cost of a Vidar with stereo VU meters added, and of course in a new larger chassis to house them, would be at least $999. So is it worth 40% more for bouncy dials and otherwise the same performance?

Never implied cost-neutrality. An extra feature (like a DAC card or a phono card for an amp) will entail extra cost. Just how much depends on a number of factors. Including whether meters were envisioned in the original design. In the same way cars have space on the dashbaoard for optional features, an amp case could be designed to accommodate meters if specified. Or not. The meters could even be packaged in a flat box which would just bolt to the front of the amp. Wouldn't be out of line with Schiit aesthetics. Nor would it be that costly. Of course, any manufacturer can set whatever outrageous price they think the market will bear (lookin' at you, Porsche) but Schiit doesn't pull that sort of schiit.

May 23, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #77,199 of 150,478
How many of you advocating that adding VU meters to an amplifier would not be costly have ever designed or manufactured a piece of consumer electronics?

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #77,200 of 150,478
"Sigh"...Well, the real ORT has been real sick for a few years now. Yup. I have been ill. Not Covid ill but something else and it's not for public discussion but no, you cannot catch it. It kinda sorta catches you.
There's only one person here that knows all ORT got trough and that was/is me.
Why? We had an almost daily email exchange and I was one of his medical advisors.
Now. Convince me (via email) that you're JC (sorry ORT) or get of this thread and come back as yourself.
This is the last I will say about it here on forum.
"Your" account (for me) goes to ignore until "you" reach out to me the way "you" did hundreds of times before.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #77,202 of 150,478
How many of you advocating that adding VU meters to an amplifier would not be costly have ever designed a piece of consumer electronics?
Now do you believe it's me? :sunglasses: I read that particular comment of yours. I do not slobber. Much.

As to this particular question, I have never designed anything. Like the vast majority of people in what is commonly referred to as the "first world", I am a consumer of goods and services. I really think you hate VU Meters or anything you deem superfluous or an outright knickknack (minus the "paddywhack-give-a-dog-a-bone").

Not a problem. I can be the same way on some things. :slight_smile:

May 23, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #77,204 of 150,478
There's only one person here that knows all ORT got trough and that was/is me.
Why? We had an almost daily email exchange and I was one of his medical advisors.
Now. Convince me (via email) that you're JC (sorry ORT) or get of this thread and come back as yourself.
This is the last I will say about it here on forum.
"Your" account (for me) goes to ignore until "you" reach out to me the way "you" did hundreds of times before.
Very odd story! Why would someone hack a random Head-Fi user account?!
It is one thing to impose as @jude or @Jason Stoddard etc. But just impose as a regular Joe?!
I mean IF he's an imposter - what's in it for him to gain? :thinking:
(I do not know him, so I am NOT defending him or his identity by any means)

May 23, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #77,205 of 150,478
Very odd story! Why would someone hack a random Head-Fi user account?!
It is one thing to impose as @jude or @Jason Stoddard etc. But just impose as a regular Joe?!
I mean IF he's an imposter - what's in it for him to gain? :thinking:
(I do not know him, so I am NOT defending him or his identity by any means)
For the thrill of it, likely. Me, I don't care one way or the other. I put the account on ignore. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back