Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #75,256 of 150,413
Could I hook a Loki up between a dynamic microphone and a DI that goes into a PC? The dynamic microphone goes into the DI now and works swell. I realize that I need 1/4" to RCA adaptation on both sides. I realize that the Loki is stereo, so I would be wasting one channel.
Not likely. The mic level is too low. The EQ needs to operate on line-level signals.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #75,258 of 150,413
Let me warn you kids: after you get past a certain age, a morning beer simply guarantees an afternoon nap.
Naps.jpg

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #75,260 of 150,413
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #75,261 of 150,413
By the way, El Arroyo in Austin makes an awesome chipotle chicken plate, and they have great beer and tequila selections. If you're passin' through, stop in.

-edit- Last time I was there was in 2018. I asked how much for a shot of Don Julio 1942. They said $28, or $35 for a double. A double it was.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #75,263 of 150,413
I guess my MJ2 will shortly become a collectible.
Ha! I wasn't quite ready or even intending to get into "vintage" equipment, but I guess life (and in this case Schiit) has a way of overtaking one!!:L3000:

All good, nothing changes the fact that it is and will remain a really fine headphone amp!

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #75,264 of 150,413
Let me warn you kids: after you get past a certain age, a morning beer simply guarantees an afternoon nap.
Not when it's brewed with coffee in there. I'm a serious coffee drinker - black, no sugar, dark and bitter like my soul. 3 cup jump start in the morning. But these beers promise me a sleepless night if I drink one at dinner time.

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #75,265 of 150,413
If I remember Jason's early descriptions of the "Ten Tube Beast", 8 of those tubes are 6n6p dual triodes, for which there are very few substitutes. ECC99 and E182CC are the only other tubes that seem to come close, spec sheet wise. The 6n6p is a unique tube. The other two tubes are probably the gain stages, the sonic signature of those tubes may have a greater impact there. I say "may" because I - a) I don't yet own one of these amplifiers; b) haven't seen the design details.

So I'm just making a Systematic Wild Ass Guess (SWAG). I'm probably wrong.

Doesn't matter.
I want one.

Real Amplifiers glow in the dark.
To help clear up some Folkvangst, here's what's screened on the tube tray:

folkvangr tube screen.jpg

No need for output matching--there's individual servo control of each output tube.

Also, there are no real alternatives to 6N6P--the JJ ECC99 is a different pinout. You need tube adapters to make those work correctly.

6CG7 will work without adapters, but will also run about 1/4 the output current of the 6N6P, so it'll be a wayyyyyy weaker amp.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #75,266 of 150,413
I'm a serious coffee drinker - black, no sugar, dark and bitter like my soul.

Preach.

I once sent a picture of my morning coffee to a group of friends, captioning it with, “Monday. My coffee’s dark like my mood.”

Each of them answered in turn with their own take: “Bitter, like my life.” “Ristretto*, like my bank account.” “Burning, like my hemo*****s.” (Had to censor it but it was pretty funny in the context.)

* for those who don’t know, “ristretto” is Italian for “shrunk.”

EDIT: not to mention a brooding tweet from a few years back: “This morning coffee is bitter for all the wrong reasons. What tastes the tongue, feels the soul.” Man, I was having a hard time then XD

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #75,267 of 150,413

No need for output matching--there's individual servo control of each output tube.

Also, there are no real alternatives to 6N6P--the JJ ECC99 is a different pinout. You need tube adapters to make those work correctly.

6CG7 will work without adapters, but will also run about 1/4 the output current of the 6N6P, so it'll be a wayyyyyy weaker amp.
I had to parse that first sentence a couple times. My brain kept seeing just the "angst" in Folkvangst. Folkvangst angst?

Very cool! Love the servo bias control.

Hmmm..... with 300 or 600 ohm headphones, the loss of power with 6CG7s wouldn't be a very big issue. The 6CG7 is very similar to the 6SN7.... This could be interesting.

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #75,268 of 150,413
Not when it's brewed with coffee in there. I'm a serious coffee drinker - black, no sugar, dark and bitter like my soul. 3 cup jump start in the morning. But these beers promise me a sleepless night if I drink one at dinner time.
Is it good or bad I went straight from nothing to 20 fl oz water + 1.5 oz French roast beans (math says 4 cups?) black and bitter 5 times a week? Also add the seasoned mug at has had varying reactions at the office.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #75,269 of 150,413
You're not a real coffee drinker until you walk up to the coffee station, find a 1/2-inch of burned black sludge in the bottom of the glass Bunn carafe, dump it into your cup, add a little hot water and then back to work. Whistling a tune.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #75,270 of 150,413

Seems an awful lot like a Valhalla 2 on steroids!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back