Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #73,216 of 150,436
I see. You should try Flannery's sometime when you are in town. They take Guinness very seriously.
I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a LONG time before I am back in Cleveland. Lived there for a while, but no family in the area so no reason to go back currently (depending on how some stuff goes in the next few weeks maybe Alliance though).

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #73,219 of 150,436
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #73,220 of 150,436
CleanUpIsFun.jpg

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #73,224 of 150,436
Cleveland does Guinness so good to me, it tastes great at the Cleveland Irish Cultural Festival out of a tractor trailer set up. Guinness taps on the side of the trailer. Now see how drinking and music are tied together. Especially with the Irish.
No idea about 2021, but the Oktoberfest is good too, not Guinness but good beer.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #73,225 of 150,436
All this talk of engineers reminds me of this old story:

Three lawyers and three engineers were travelling by train to a conference. At the station, each lawyer bought a ticket whereas the engineers bought only one ticket between them.

‘How are you going to travel on a single ticket?’ asked one lawyer.

‘Wait and watch’, answered one of the engineers.

When they boarded the train, the lawyers took their seats, but the three engineers crammed into a toilet and closed the door behind them. Shortly after the train started, the ticket collector arrived. He knocked on the toilet door and asked, "Ticket, please." The door opened just a crack and a single arm emerged with a ticket in hand. The ticket collector took it and moved on.

Seeing this, the lawyers decided to the same thing on the return trip so when they arrived at the station they bought only one ticket. To their astonishment, the engineers didn’t buy any. ‘How are you going to travel without a ticket?’ asked one of the perplexed lawyers.

“Wait and watch”, answered an engineer.

In the train, the three engineers crammed into a toilet and the three lawyers into another nearby. Soon after the train started, one of the engineers got out of the toilet and walked to one where the lawyers were hiding.

He knocked on the door and said, "Ticket, please…"

JC
3 O1's were tested by their company commander for promotion to O2 (2nd Lt. to 1st Lt.), and were presented an exercise.

"You're to erect an 80ft. communication aerial in the middle of a 67 acre pond, with a depth of 5 meters.

The first candidate illustrated how he could cut logs from the surrounding forest, construct a raft, and complete the erection of the aerial.

The second issued a series of complicated formulas, illustrating how he could anchor the aerial with only guy wires.

The third candidate, and the O2 selectee: "I'd tell my platoon Sgt. I need an 80' aerial in the middle of that pond".

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #73,226 of 150,436
Unfortunately, several respected, longstanding ‘High Street’ Banks decided that traditional deposit taking and lending was far too dull and margins too thin, despite serving both customers and shareholders well for centuries.
The book I recommended, which focuses on the South Seas bubble, shows that financial innovation is a very mixed bag, but some of it was critical in creating the capital foundations of England's most successful period. Financial innovation is like any other technology, it needs to be understood and regulated, but without it none of the comforts we take for granted would exist. Those DAC chips would not exist, for sure :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back